Andy Asberry

Default OT - Wireless ISP

I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

Does anyone have experience with wireless ISP, either as a customer,
provider, technician or designer? I'm interested in the 2 to 5 mile
variety; not hot spot. I'm on the prairie. A 100 foot tower would
cover a 10 mile radius.

Groups to query? Links? Equipment suppliers?
Jerry Martes

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

Does anyone have experience with wireless ISP, either as a customer,
provider, technician or designer? I'm interested in the 2 to 5 mile
variety; not hot spot. I'm on the prairie. A 100 foot tower would
cover a 10 mile radius.

Groups to query? Links? Equipment suppliers?

Andy

Are you sure about the $600.00 per month from DirecWay? I recently
looked at their site and thought they could provide fast downlink and slow
(telephone line modem) uplink for $100.00 per month with a 15 month
commitment. The price drops to about $60.00 per month after that.

Jerry

Thomas Kendrick

Out in the country near what city and state?
My ISP is wireless line-of-sight. Too many trees and it does not work.
www.panaband.com
Give them a call regarding which technology they use in the system.
I have a local loop "radio" in my attic which is powered and converts
the coax signal to ethernet. The other end of the coax (about 30 feet
long) is attached to a line-of-sight antenna on the roof that is aimed
at their tower. That's the customer end.
I get 1124 down, 657 up at my distance from the tower. The speed
increases with proximity to the tower and size of the antenna.
The tower would probably need to be attached to the T1. How many other
potential customers are in the area?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:31:49 GMT, Andy Asberry
wrote:

I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

Does anyone have experience with wireless ISP, either as a customer,
provider, technician or designer? I'm interested in the 2 to 5 mile
variety; not hot spot. I'm on the prairie. A 100 foot tower would
cover a 10 mile radius.

Groups to query? Links? Equipment suppliers?

DoN. Nichols

In article HB5%d.7630$b_6.6146@trnddc01,
Jerry Martes wrote:

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
.. .
I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

[ ... ]

Are you sure about the $600.00 per month from DirecWay?

He said the $600.00/month was for a T1 feed -- 1.54 mb/s both
ways at the same time. That is about what mine is costing me, with a
Class-C IP block (254 usable IP addresses) and a partial news feed.

I recently
looked at their site and thought they could provide fast downlink and slow
(telephone line modem) uplink for $100.00 per month with a 15 month
commitment. The price drops to about $60.00 per month after that.

That sounds like an ADSL connection -- and for that you have to
be within a certain minimum distance from the exchange. It does not
sound as though he is anywhere close to near enough, so the (A)DSL feed
is not an option for him. The T1 winds up with the phone company
hanging a repeater every so many thousand feet, so they will be earning
their $600/month fee with him. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Dan Murphy

Andy Asberry wrote in
:

I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

Does anyone have experience with wireless ISP, either as a customer,
provider, technician or designer? I'm interested in the 2 to 5 mile
variety; not hot spot. I'm on the prairie. A 100 foot tower would
cover a 10 mile radius.

Groups to query? Links? Equipment suppliers?

I had the same problem with lack of broadband options. The WISP provider
usually will come out for free and do a check to see if you have a direct
line of sight. Unfortunately in my case there was something between my
house and the tower. There is a tower I can see from my backyard, but
they only accept commercial accounts, and they were expensive. I did a
bit of research into WISP's and most everyone I talked to about theirs
was happy with it. That being said, the three that are available in my
area are small companies so If you're expecting 24 hour support, ain't
happening. Recently I noticed that Comcast was doing a lot of work around
where I live. So I called them again to see if broadband cable was now
available in my area. It is! So if all goes well on Monday I'll be able
to remove the virus er ISP "software" from my computers once and for all.
AOl used to be a secondary account for me. My then young son wanted to
get online and it's really a pretty good deal for that. Plus I travel a
lot, and I can get online anywhere with the virus. Little did I know that
when I moved here, AOL would end up being my only ISP, it just sort of
worked out that way. Well my kid is old enough now that he really doesn't
need a net nanny anymore, and we're getting bradband in Podunk. Anyway
back to your questions. I couldn't find any groups for WISPS. I did a
Google search on the newsgroups and most folks inquiries were met with
confusion.

Equipment - All of the WISPS in my area are using Motorola equipment, so
if you're thinking of putting up a tower and hitchin' into the T1, I
would start with them. http://motorola.canopywireless.com/

Links - http://www.datamoco.com/ (they have a pretty good explanation on
their site)

http://www.mc.net/

The big downside is the need to have direct line of sight. This is not at
all like a wireless network. A tree can block the signal.
Good luck.

Dan

Jerry Martes

Jerry Martes wrote:

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

DoN

I read it wrong. I thought Andy figured he was restricted to either Dial
Up or Direct Way (which was quite expensive) and I thought the satellite TV
guys might provide an affordable high speed downlink almost everywhere. I
wasnt even aware the DirecWay satellite "broadband" was restricted to where
special phone lines are available.

Jerry

ATP*

Jerry Martes wrote:

[...]

I think you're right, the slow uplink is just a modem.

Nick Birrer

Andy Asberry wrote:
I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

Does anyone have experience with wireless ISP, either as a customer,
provider, technician or designer? I'm interested in the 2 to 5 mile
variety; not hot spot. I'm on the prairie. A 100 foot tower would
cover a 10 mile radius.

Groups to query? Links? Equipment suppliers?

Some base station and subscriber equipment he

http://www.proxim.com/products/bwa/

CROQ

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

Does anyone have experience with wireless ISP, either as a customer,
provider, technician or designer? I'm interested in the 2 to 5 mile
variety; not hot spot. I'm on the prairie. A 100 foot tower would
cover a 10 mile radius.

Groups to query? Links? Equipment suppliers?

Which prairie are you on and who is offering the $600 T1? If you have
access at "A" and line of sight to "B", you can set up your own link using
very effective consumer grade equipment for around $200 - $400.

Are you interested in starting a WISP or just want to get the internet from
point A to point B? If you are near me, there is no other WISP currently in
operation, and a couple other minor requirements, I'll start one. If I can
get enough subscribers I'll give you a free account for as long as I have
them.

Eregon

Andy Asberry wrote in
:

I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

Does anyone have experience with wireless ISP, either as a customer,
provider, technician or designer? I'm interested in the 2 to 5 mile
variety; not hot spot. I'm on the prairie. A 100 foot tower would
cover a 10 mile radius.

Groups to query? Links? Equipment suppliers?

A friend of mine lives in N. MN and has service through
http://www.wiktel.com.

Wiktel is virtually _all_ wireless and covers a pretty big area through
piggy-backing on cell and utility towers.

His biggest problem was resolved when the installer [WiFi antenna on a
mast] discovered that there was a 50+ volt "charge" on his metal roof!

Once THAT was grounded, he's had excellent service in all weather
conditions.

DoN. Nichols

In article %rc%d.9790$GI6.9529@trnddc05,
Jerry Martes wrote:

[...]

I don't know DirecWay (or is that DirectWay?), so I never even
thought of a satellite downlink. And your description sort of sounded
like an ASDL, which is typically a lot faster in the download than the
upload direction (thus the 'A' for asymmetric).

Yes -- a satellite downlink and a modem for outgoing might work,
if it is still offered, and he doesn't need much for uploading speed.

And the original mention of "wireless" sounded as though he was
looking for a RF link to a tower -- which will call for a fairly
high-gain directional antenna, and a local tower to get it over the
foliage to eliminate the absorbtion of the RF by the trees and such.

And the T1 link is one thing with which I am familiar, and the
price is in the ballpark (actually a bit less than I am paying.) But
a T1 link is nice -- as long as you don't have virus magnets hung on it,
as the virus writers and spammers are always looking to compromise
something with high bandwidth -- more spam copies per hour, after all. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Andy Asberry

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:52:42 GMT, "CROQ" wrote:

[...]

The prairie doesn't have a name. I was simply stating the terrain is
pretty flat. 35 miles from Fort Worth. I can see an airport beacon 10
miles away. It is on a 30 foot tower. Airport elevation is 55 feet
higher than me.

SBC offers the T1. I'm 53,000 feet from switch. Engineer guarantees
99.9% up time.

Yes, I'm interested in setting up a WISP. How many subscribers justify
investment? What is the cost of equipment excluding tower? Currently,
they peter out about 2 miles from me. Half mile away is a 600 acre
development of 1 to 5 ac lots, 75% sold. Another 800 acres have been
platted.

Direct TV and Dish have the tv covered. There is no cable out here.

Thanks for all comments.
Andy Asberry

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:54:31 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

[...]

$600 is for T1.

I tried DirectWay. $99/mo for 2,200K download, 168K up. When it
worked, it was great. They gave me a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. It
worked THREE times in 30 days. I grew tired of talking with tech
support in India. They offered another 30 days with a new installer
and new equipment. The installers had trouble staying online long
enough to orient the dish. Connected TEN times in 30 days. I boxed it
up and sent it back. The satisfaction guarantee doesn't include refund
of monthly fee. It cost me $198 for 13 hookups.

Also watch out for "fair use limitations". If you plan on downloading
big files, you may get knocked offline until tomorrow if you exceed
their daily use limits. Those limits are a moving target. Changes
every day. This wasn't my problem, by the way.

They are big on promises and short on delivery.
Jerry Martes

[...]

I recently tried to get some information on the TV Satellite suppliers
broadband provisions. I *think* Dish doesnt actually send broadband via
satellite. They will point their subscribers to phone company DSL
providers. I *think* DirecTV does supply a broadband internet download to
their subscribers via their satellite. The DirecTV requires their
subscribers to upload via telephone lines.
Since satellite TV is available to every location in the USA, I'd consider
that "fast download+slow upload" an acceptable system compared with "dial
up". But, I have never tried the DirecTV system, nor have I heard of
anyone using it. The price seems reasonable for the truely interested web
browser who cant get DSL.

I get the impression that your needs for broadband might not be satisfied
by this DirecTV system

Jerry

CROQ

[...]

Welcome to your gold mine. I'm on the KS praire and they hate all
technology born after the 18th century.

How many subscribers justify
investment?

With my model, a $600 T1, a dozen or two subscribers willing to pay $50 or
more for 128k, although price may have to drop due to competition. I give
away installation and $300 worth of equipment, some pass the cost to the
customer. Profit starts in 6 months. People seem to like a local ISP, you
can do everything inhouse or send it out, email accounts, web space,
newsgroups, billing, tech support.

What is the cost of equipment excluding tower?

Could get your first subscriber lit up for under $2000 in the 2.4Ghz
unlicensed band. Each additional subscriber will run $300-$500. On the
other end of the spectrum startup could easily hit $20,000 in gear. New
subdivisions are gold, you could set things up so subscribers could access
your system with their laptops anywhere in the neighborhood. The FCC is
pushing rural WISPs right now, big grants are available if you have RF,
engineering or ISP background.

Currently,
they peter out about 2 miles from me. Half mile away is a 600 acre
development of 1 to 5 ac lots, 75% sold. Another 800 acres have been
platted.

Sounds like a WISP dream, start your own DSL Broadband too. Thinking to
myself, 600acre/5acre=120residents*$50=$6000-(T1*2)=$4800 per month spare
time profit.

Direct TV and Dish have the tv covered. There is no cable out here.

Thanks for all comments.

I can give you lots more info, but it's like helping Bill Gates, you'd like
to get a percent or five of the gross billion dollar profit he'll be
getting.

Good luck and keep me posted!

C, (wishin he was in Texas about now.)

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:53:19 GMT, the inscrutable Andy Asberry
spake:

wrote:

[...]

That's why I went with Starband through Dish when I got up here 3
years ago. I heard the horror stories about DirecTV. So far, Starband
has gone down once, bigtime for a week through a snafu, and only about
15 minutes at a time during the heaviest cells of storms either here
or over Hotlanta, where their uplink is. I think I've noticed that
about half a dozen times in 3 years. Download is 684k+, upload is 55k
always. Not too bad for $60/mo. But the sat modem died and they had
absolutely no fracking warranty on it. I was LIVID, and ended up
buying another 3-year lease package to get the new modem, though I
could have purchased one for $400 outright. Fracking PIRACY, that.

But cable doesn't come out here, DSL isn't available, and the WISP
carrier is around the corner from my section of the valley. Sat is
my only option. sigh

---
After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright
James Askew

I have direcway (dw6000) and it is two way satellite transmission and
high speed (I get 650kb on my bench mark tests). You are thinking
about the older dw4000 system that was telephone up sat down. Mine
works good.

Jim

Jerry Martes wrote:
[...]

Dave Hinz

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:31:49 GMT, Andy Asberry wrote:

Does anyone have experience with wireless ISP, either as a customer,
provider, technician or designer? I'm interested in the 2 to 5 mile
variety; not hot spot. I'm on the prairie. A 100 foot tower would
cover a 10 mile radius.

Been doing this for a year or two. 1.1 miles line of sight. Linksys
WAP11 on each end, coupled to a 24 dB directional antenna on each end.

Groups to query? Links? Equipment suppliers?

www.fab-corp.com - reasonable prices, good advice, good speed of delivery.