Roy Gilbert

Default Simple cheap wireless personal alarm (not intruder alarm) required

Can anyone help please. I have a closely-situated neighbour who is
old. I wish to give him a personal wireless transmitter he can wear
constantly which will activate an alarm in my house (but NOT a
burgular alarm) in case of illness or an emergency where he cannot use
the telephone. It needs a range of 50/100 metres so a low powered
transmitter is suitable. I have considered using a wireless door bell
as the alarm sounder but a door-bell button is unsuitable. The
transmitter obviously needs to be small.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use or adapt? Preferably
cheap please.
nick smith

Why not a wireless doorbell ? - I am sure I saw one in B and Q the other day with a
claimed range of up to 200 Mtrs !
I thought they only managed 50 feet !

Nick

S Viemeister

nick smith wrote:

Why not a wireless doorbell ? - I am sure I saw one in B and Q the other day with a
claimed range of up to 200 Mtrs !
I thought they only managed 50 feet !

I have one mounted on my gatepost - the ringer is almost 200 feet away. It
works very well.

Sheila

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 5 May 2004 16:32:57 +0100, nick smith wrote:

Why not a wireless doorbell ? - I am sure I saw one in B and Q the
other day with a claimed range of up to 200 Mtrs !

Operative word "claimed". As with all things RF the location and what
is inbetween the Tx and Rx is critical. If there is nothing but air
range and both the Tx and Rx are a few tens of feet above the ground
then you'll probably find they work far further than quoted. But bung
the Rx in a basement and the Tx the otherside of several walls and it
might not work at all.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Roy Gilbert

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...
On Wed, 5 May 2004 16:32:57 +0100, nick smith wrote:

Why not a wireless doorbell ? - I am sure I saw one in B and Q the
other day with a claimed range of up to 200 Mtrs !

Operative word "claimed". As with all things RF the location and what
is inbetween the Tx and Rx is critical. If there is nothing but air
range and both the Tx and Rx are a few tens of feet above the ground
then you'll probably find they work far further than quoted. But bung
the Rx in a basement and the Tx the otherside of several walls and it
might not work at all.

Thanks to all for your replies. I am pursuing a Friedland wireless
chime which has the benefit of differing tones for "front & rear door"
& can use a number of senders. In other words, #1 for my real front
door,#2 for next door. Your comments about range have been taken on
board & I'm going for one which has a 200m range (in open air). Thks
again.
Roy
Dave Liquorice

On 5 May 2004 15:58:03 -0700, Roy Gilbert wrote:

Your comments about range have been taken on board & I'm going for
one which has a 200m range (in open air).

Just make sure you ask advice when buying and specify that it needs to
work from X to Y with Z terrain/obstructions. The store then doesn't
have a leg to stand on if it doesn't perform.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail