DoN. Nichols

In article %rc%d.9790$GI6.9529@trnddc05,
Jerry Martes wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

He said the $600.00/month was for a T1 feed -- 1.54 mb/s both
ways at the same time. That is about what mine is costing me, with a
Class-C IP block (254 usable IP addresses) and a partial news feed.

I recently
looked at their site and thought they could provide fast downlink and slow
(telephone line modem) uplink for $100.00 per month with a 15 month
commitment. The price drops to about $60.00 per month after that.

That sounds like an ADSL connection -- and for that you have to
be within a certain minimum distance from the exchange. It does not
sound as though he is anywhere close to near enough, so the (A)DSL feed
is not an option for him. The T1 winds up with the phone company
hanging a repeater every so many thousand feet, so they will be earning
their $600/month fee with him. :-)

[ ... ]

DoN

I read it wrong. I thought Andy figured he was restricted to either Dial
Up or Direct Way (which was quite expensive) and I thought the satellite TV
guys might provide an affordable high speed downlink almost everywhere. I
wasnt even aware the DirecWay satellite "broadband" was restricted to where
special phone lines are available.

I don't know DirecWay (or is that DirectWay?), so I never even
thought of a satellite downlink. And your description sort of sounded
like an ASDL, which is typically a lot faster in the download than the
upload direction (thus the 'A' for asymmetric).

Yes -- a satellite downlink and a modem for outgoing might work,
if it is still offered, and he doesn't need much for uploading speed.

And the original mention of "wireless" sounded as though he was
looking for a RF link to a tower -- which will call for a fairly
high-gain directional antenna, and a local tower to get it over the
foliage to eliminate the absorbtion of the RF by the trees and such.

And the T1 link is one thing with which I am familiar, and the
price is in the ballpark (actually a bit less than I am paying.) But
a T1 link is nice -- as long as you don't have virus magnets hung on it,
as the virus writers and spammers are always looking to compromise
something with high bandwidth -- more spam copies per hour, after all. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564