Nick Harrison

Default wireless programmable thermostats

Hi,
I'm in the process of upgrading the central heating with a new combi
boiler. Most of the work is done and I need to upgrade the
timer/thermostat. Currently the thermostat isn't placed sensibly.
(It's in the main room where our occasional coal fires trips it early
leading to a cold rest of house.) I don't have any convenient cable
runs under floorboards to a suitable new location. As my current
prgrammable timer has become redundant because hot water is on demand,
someone suggested a (programmable) wireless thermostat. Anyone any
experience of these? We need to set different heating times for
weekdays and weekends. Are these wireless thermostats reliable? Can
anyone recommend a manufacturer and model?
The extra expense may be worth saved labour and damage to the decor.
Regards,
Nick
Nick Harrison Lancaster UK
Set Square

Stephen Dawson wrote:

"Nick Harrison" wrote in message
[...]

Go for a Honeywell CM67RF. Very good and reliable piece of kit. It is
out chosen unit and generally all that we fit for clients.

Steve Dawson
Fox Electrical Services Ltd

This is certainly the one which is most frequently mentioned in this NG. I
have the wired version - which works perfectly well, but I can't comment
directly on the RF version.

As I'm sure you know, the RF version is in 2 parts - the switching part and
the remote sensing part with the buttons and display. You can mount the
sensing part anywhere where it has good radio contact with the switching
part. You can either mount the switching part where the existing stat is
located, or could abandon that and blank off the wires, and mount it close
to the system junction box (in the airing cupboard?) - or maybe close to the
boiler itself.

If you're shopping around for your stat, you'll probably find RKM Heating
Controls [ http://www.rkm-heating-controls.co.uk/main.html ] the cheapest.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:30:52 +0100, Set Square wrote:

Honeywell CM67RF. Very good and reliable piece of kit.

This is certainly the one which is most frequently mentioned in this
NG.

But don't forget the Danfoss TP75RF, very good and reliable piece of
kit. The TP75 gives you some features that are extra options on the
CM67.

You need to look at the specs and your houshold useage patterns to
make a choice between the two, or any of the others that are now on
the market.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Tony Bryer

In article , Nick Harrison
wrote:
Anyone any
experience of these? We need to set different heating times for
weekdays and weekends. Are these wireless thermostats reliable? Can
anyone recommend a manufacturer and model?

The Honeywell CM67RF in our church has been 100% reliable and has an
excellent range of programming options.

Ian Middleton

[...]

I have a Drayton Digistat RF3 wireless programmable thermostat to control my
conservatories heating. Cost about £100 but avoided the need to pull wiring
around the walls. Works fine, in fact exactly the same as the non-wireless
one fitted in my house.

Tony Bryer

In article , Ian Middleton wrote:
I have a Drayton Digistat RF3 wireless programmable thermostat to
control my conservatories heating. Cost about £100 but avoided the
need to pull wiring around the walls. Works fine, in fact exactly
the same as the non-wireless one fitted in my house.

Caveat: this unit may have changed since I installed one in our church
several years ago. It had several key disadvantages, the key one being
that if the transmitter lost radio contact the heating stayed off. Not
so much of a problem in a house if you wake up and it feels a bit cold,
but finding this in stone cold church at 1020 on a Sunday morning is
not good news. The other limitation was the programming, 4 time steps
per day as opposed to 6 on the CM67, more importantly the four
temperatures, call them A,B,C,D had to be the same for each day. And
you didn't have things like the CM67 party button which makes
overriding the standard program dead easy.