Set Square

Default wireless programmable thermostats

Stephen Dawson wrote:

"Nick Harrison" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm in the process of upgrading the central heating with a new combi
boiler. Most of the work is done and I need to upgrade the
timer/thermostat. Currently the thermostat isn't placed sensibly.
(It's in the main room where our occasional coal fires trips it early
leading to a cold rest of house.) I don't have any convenient cable
runs under floorboards to a suitable new location. As my current
prgrammable timer has become redundant because hot water is on
demand, someone suggested a (programmable) wireless thermostat.
Anyone any experience of these? We need to set different heating
times for weekdays and weekends. Are these wireless thermostats
reliable? Can anyone recommend a manufacturer and model?
The extra expense may be worth saved labour and damage to the decor.
Regards,
Nick
Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

Go for a Honeywell CM67RF. Very good and reliable piece of kit. It is
out chosen unit and generally all that we fit for clients.

Steve Dawson
Fox Electrical Services Ltd

This is certainly the one which is most frequently mentioned in this NG. I
have the wired version - which works perfectly well, but I can't comment
directly on the RF version.

As I'm sure you know, the RF version is in 2 parts - the switching part and
the remote sensing part with the buttons and display. You can mount the
sensing part anywhere where it has good radio contact with the switching
part. You can either mount the switching part where the existing stat is
located, or could abandon that and blank off the wires, and mount it close
to the system junction box (in the airing cupboard?) - or maybe close to the
boiler itself.

If you're shopping around for your stat, you'll probably find RKM Heating
Controls [ http://www.rkm-heating-controls.co.uk/main.html ] the cheapest.
--
Cheers,
Set Square