Set Square

Default Which Programmable Room Stat?

I am seriously considering replacing the room stat on my central heating
system with a programmable stat - to enable me to have several different
temperatures set during the course of the day. I have a Danfoss SET5
programmer which will continue to programme the hot water - but with CH set
to "continuous".

I notice that a number of companies make (or sell) programmable stats -
including Drayton, Honeywell, Horstmann, Sunvic (plus Screwfix) - all of
which are basically similar but with a few variations.

Features which seem to me to be useful include:
* At least 4 programmed events per 24 hours (preferably 6)
* Time resolution (granularity) of 10 minutes or better
* 2 day types (nominally weekday/weekend) with the ability to set any day to
either type
* Temporary over-ride without re-programming
* Holiday feature enabling the heating to be off for a period and them
resume automatically after a specified number of days - preferably up to at
least 50 days

Does anyone have a view on this shopping list? Have I missed anything
important? Are any of the above features a waste of time? [I'm only looking
at wired models - I can't see any point in using an RF model since the wires
are already in the right place].

I would particularly like the over-ride to work in the same way as my
current programmer if possible - but I haven't found any that are exactly
equivalent yet. My current programmer (which admittedly is only controlling
the on/off function and not temperature) has an "Advance" button which takes
it to the next programmed event early, and then reverts to the set
programme. For example, if it is set for 2 on periods (say 7am-10am and
4pm-8pm), if I press this button at noon it will come on straight away
(instead of waiting till 4pm) and stay on until 8pm. Most programmable stats
which I have looked at seem to have up/down buttons to enable you to change
the set temperature until the next programmed event - but not simply to jump
to the next event and adopt whatever temperature is specified for that
event. Are there any which can do this?

I would welcome recommendations of specific makes/models to look at based on
the above requirements and (hopefully) your personal experience of any you
recommend.

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Steven Briggs

WH Smith's.
Third Shelf up, 6 feet from the left.
Between "Boiler Monthly" and "Zone Valve Review"

Sorry, IGMC.
--
Steve

John Stumbles

"Set Square" wrote in message
[...]

The Horstmann (sold by Screwfix, and others though sometimes badged
differently AIUI) is not what you want. I know, I've got one :-(

There's a Sunvic (dunno the model number offhand) which may be closer to
your ideal (pretty sure it hasn't got the advance feature, and not sure
about the holiday feature though)

I think there was a[t least one] thread on this recently - Google

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Set Square

Steven Briggs wrote:

WH Smith's.
Third Shelf up, 6 feet from the left.
Between "Boiler Monthly" and "Zone Valve Review"

Sorry, IGMC.

Very droll!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

John Stumbles ] wrote:

The Horstmann (sold by Screwfix, and others though sometimes badged
differently AIUI) is not what you want. I know, I've got one :-(

Would you care to elaborate?

I think there was a[t least one] thread on this recently - Google

I did "Google" before posting the question. I found a number of threads
about the use of Programmable stats in general, but none which address the
features in detail.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:10:52 -0000, Set Square wrote:

* At least 4 programmed events per 24 hours (preferably 6)
* Time resolution (granularity) of 10 minutes or better

The newer to the market and cheapo (=A350) ones tend to restrict these =

things, the older ones not.

* 2 day types (nominally weekday/weekend) with the ability to set
any day to either type

On the fly? ie suddenly decide that "today" is a weekend day rather
than a weekday? Not sure any do that, the TP75 here has an "on" from
first event to last event feature not sure what temp its sets
presumably the 1st on one. Don't use it as there is awlays some one in
and all days are programmed with the same thermal profile.

* Temporary over-ride without re-programming
* Holiday feature enabling the heating to be off for a period and
them resume automatically after a specified number of days -
preferably up to at least 50 days

I doubt any don't have those abilties.

Most programmable stats which I have looked at seem to have up/down
buttons to enable you to change the set temperature until the next
programmed event - but not simply to jump to the next event and
adopt whatever temperature is specified for that event. Are there
any which can do this?

Just use the jog buttons to set the temp the same as the next event or
how we use ours just nudge it up a degree when it feels a little cool.

I'm more than happy with a Danfoss TP75.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:31:45 -0000, Set Square wrote:

I did "Google" before posting the question. I found a number of
threads about the use of Programmable stats in general, but none
which address the features in detail.

Do what I do when I want to find out what a bit of kit can (or can't
do) read the instructions. Quite often you can get the installation
and user instructions off the web...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Set Square wrote:
Features which seem to me to be useful include:
* At least 4 programmed events per 24 hours (preferably 6)

I find four sections - night, morning first thing, day and evening fine.
If the house is to be empty during the day, I switch the programmer to the
older twice a day setting.

--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Angela

"Peter Watson"
I've been very happy with my Honeywell CM67 - 7 day/6 event per day

(all
days can be different), over-ride current temperature for this

period or
for n hours (useful if you've staying up late), 99 day holiday

mode,
optimise mode etc

Peter

Ditto, I have the optimum start as well and that is very good

I'm sure it would even make the coffee if I asked it nice enough!

Angela

Andy R

"Angela" wrote in message

"Peter Watson"
I've been very happy with my Honeywell CM67 - 7 day/6 event per day

(all
days can be different), over-ride current temperature for this

period or
for n hours (useful if you've staying up late), 99 day holiday

mode,
optimise mode etc

Peter

Ditto, I have the optimum start as well and that is very good

I'm sure it would even make the coffee if I asked it nice enough!

If we're playing "mine's bigger than yours" then I've got one with the radio
controlled time setting module as well so it's still right when the clocks
change

Rgds

Andy R

chris French

In message , Set Square
writes

I notice that a number of companies make (or sell) programmable stats -
including Drayton, Honeywell, Horstmann, Sunvic (plus Screwfix) - all of
which are basically similar but with a few variations.

Features which seem to me to be useful include:
* At least 4 programmed events per 24 hours (preferably 6)
* Time resolution (granularity) of 10 minutes or better
* 2 day types (nominally weekday/weekend) with the ability to set any day to
either type

i can 't do that but the times can be set with complete flexibility.

* Temporary over-ride without re-programming
* Holiday feature enabling the heating to be off for a period and them
resume automatically after a specified number of days - preferably up to at
least 50 days

This holiday feature isn't IMO very useful.

Check your household insurance - mine specifies (and i think it is
pretty common) that when the house is unoccupied that the CH be left on
a minimum temp - I think mine is 15 C. so turning it off isn't much use.
A holiday function that left it on a set temp until the end of the
holiday would be useful however. I'd leave mine on anyway to avoid the
possibility of burst pipes while away.

I would particularly like the over-ride to work in the same way as my
current programmer if possible - but I haven't found any that are exactly
equivalent yet. My current programmer (which admittedly is only controlling
the on/off function and not temperature) has an "Advance" button which takes
it to the next programmed event early, and then reverts to the set
programme.

Mine has an Advance button which does exactly that.

It is an ACL PT371 (is this the same as Drayton?)

The function that I would really like however is the ability to switch
from an 'at home' program to an 'at work' program for an individual
day - I don't always know until the day if I will be working out of the
house.

Certainly they are useful though, being able to set a lower temp at
night but leave the heating on, and a slightly lower temp in the middle
of the day, when we tend to be more active I guess has improved the
comfort level of the house.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Snowman

"Steven Briggs" wrote in message
news
WH Smith's.
Third Shelf up, 6 feet from the left.
Between "Boiler Monthly" and "Zone Valve Review"

I'd have thought "*Boiler* Monthly" was a top shelf mag!

Peter.

Christian McArdle

I have a Sunvic, which is really slim and quite elegent looking. I'm very
happy with it. However, it is missing several features from your list.

* At least 4 programmed events per 24 hours (preferably 6)

Yes. Up to 24 programmed events per day.

* Time resolution (granularity) of 10 minutes or better

No. Hourly granularity. (I like this, many wouldn't).

* 2 day types (nominally weekday/weekend) with the ability to set any day

either type

8 day types. 5 preset (and actually quite sensible), 3 user defined.

* Temporary over-ride without re-programming

Yes. Advance and temp override. No 1-2 hour boost, though, which I miss.

* Holiday feature

Not that I've found, although you can manually set the "on" temperature to
be low and restore this when you return. This means you don't disturb the
day settings.

Extra features not mentioned:

1. Best looking (and slimmest) room stat I saw. Elegant, rather than in your
face.
2. Premptive logic to turn on heating before set time, depending on the
temperature.
3. Display constantly shows the day's programme, in the form of 24 dots
which show at a quick glance what sort of day is programmed.
4. Constant display of current temperature, time, day, call for heat, and
mode.
5. Backlighting

If the disadvantages don't bother you, I'll try to find the model number. I
got mine for 30 quid each from B&Q.

Christian.

Tony Bryer

In article , Chris French
wrote:

This holiday feature isn't IMO very useful.

Check your household insurance - mine specifies (and i think
it is pretty common) that when the house is unoccupied that
the CH be left on a minimum temp - I think mine is 15 C. so
turning it off isn't much use.

Unless I've remembered wrongly the CM67 holiday setting
incorporates frost protection (5C?). 15C is IMO high for an
unoccupied property unless you have valuable antiques or
suchlike,

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Angela

"Andy R" wrote in message
If we're playing "mine's bigger than yours" then I've got one with

the radio
controlled time setting module as well so it's still right when the

clocks
change

Rgds

Andy R

Yeah, yeah but mine is cute !!! :-)

chris French

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
In article , Chris French
wrote:

This holiday feature isn't IMO very useful.

Check your household insurance - mine specifies (and i think
it is pretty common) that when the house is unoccupied that
the CH be left on a minimum temp - I think mine is 15 C. so
turning it off isn't much use.

Unless I've remembered wrongly the CM67 holiday setting
incorporates frost protection (5C?).

Thinking about it that might be the case with mine, I can't remember.

15C is IMO high for an
unoccupied property unless you have valuable antiques or
suchlike,

Probably, but it's what my insurance asks for - this is the same with
my current co. which I changed to last year as with the old one IIRC.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Paul W

Set square,

I have the new Horstmann Centurstat 7 from Screwfix, which has recently been
upgraded ( I know this cos I ordered 3 a month ago and got a mixture of the
new and old varients, Screwfix changed them all to the new varient as that
is the one described in the catalogue).

Features which seem to me to be useful include:
* At least 4 programmed events per 24 hours (preferably 6)

This has 6.

* Time resolution (granularity) of 10 minutes or better

10 mins.

* 2 day types (nominally weekday/weekend) with the ability to set any day

either type

Everyday can be totally independant, hence no need for day types.

* Temporary over-ride without re-programming

You can temporarily increase or decrease the temp until the next time zone.

* Holiday feature enabling the heating to be off for a period and them
resume automatically after a specified number of days - preferably up to

at
least 50 days

It doesn't do this, but you can set a temperature and press "lock", which
will hold that temp until you unlock it.

Does anyone have a view on this shopping list? Have I missed anything
important? Are any of the above features a waste of time? [I'm only

looking
at wired models - I can't see any point in using an RF model since the

wires
are already in the right place].

The newer flavour of the centurstat 7 allows you to see the current
temperature as well as the target temperature, which can be handy.

I would welcome recommendations of specific makes/models to look at based

on
the above requirements and (hopefully) your personal experience of any you
recommend.

It's working well for me !

Cheers,

Paul.

Christian McArdle

Everyday can be totally independant, hence no need for day types.

I find day types a real convenience. Most of my days are similar. Some
really bad types expect you to set every single day individually. Others
have a "Copy" feature that lets you copy the previous day's. However, I much
prefer just defining some typical programmes and then assigning them to a
specific day.

Christian.

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:05:05 GMT, Tony Bryer wrote:

This holiday feature isn't IMO very useful.

Check your household insurance - mine specifies (and i think
it is pretty common) that when the house is unoccupied that
the CH be left on a minimum temp - I think mine is 15 C.

Unless I've remembered wrongly the CM67 holiday setting
incorporates frost protection (5C?). 15C is IMO high for an
unoccupied property unless you have valuable antiques or
suchlike,

I'd also be surprised if ordinary household the insurance stated a
minimum temp. Keeping the property frost free is something else and
the TP75 when in holiday mode does that rather than always off.
Default is 6C I think but can be overridden.

It's not a feature I will use here, to much thermal lag. Did go away
one autumn before frosts set in and switched the heating off. Took 3
days for the place to stabilise again. Thick stone walls hold and/or
absorb a lot heat.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Set Square

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:31:45 -0000, Set Square wrote:

I did "Google" before posting the question. I found a number of
threads about the use of Programmable stats in general, but none
which address the features in detail.

Do what I do when I want to find out what a bit of kit can (or can't
do) read the instructions. Quite often you can get the installation
and user instructions off the web...

I've done that too! But when there are lots to choose from, it takes quite a
long time to download umpteen pdf files, so I'm hoping - with advice from
contributors to this NG - to narrow it down to a shortlist.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Laird

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:31:42 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:05:05 GMT, Tony Bryer wrote:

This holiday feature isn't IMO very useful.

Check your household insurance - mine specifies (and i think
it is pretty common) that when the house is unoccupied that
the CH be left on a minimum temp - I think mine is 15 C.

Unless I've remembered wrongly the CM67 holiday setting
incorporates frost protection (5C?). 15C is IMO high for an
unoccupied property unless you have valuable antiques or
suchlike,

I'd also be surprised if ordinary household the insurance stated a
minimum temp. Keeping the property frost free is something else and
the TP75 when in holiday mode does that rather than always off.

You can set it to any value you like. My only gripe with it is that it
rather advertises to any burglar who might break in, just how long the house
is likely to be unoccupied.

It's not a feature I will use here, to much thermal lag. Did go away
one autumn before frosts set in and switched the heating off. Took 3
days for the place to stabilise again. Thick stone walls hold and/or
absorb a lot heat.

I once let a fairly modern brick-built house drop to about 10-11C. IIRC, it
took well over 24 hours of continuous heating before it even *felt* warm,
let alone measured anything reasonable. If I was to bother now (and I often
don't), I'd choose something nearer 15C, and have the holiday period end a
full day before I was expecting to return.

I have a Danfoss TP75. It does everything the OP wants, apart from the
set-any-day-to-one-of-two-profiles feature. I doubt any will do that,
though. My only real complaint is the proportional control insists on
over-shooting first. It does have a one-button time change facility too,
radio clock synching sounds a bit ott.

--
How can I fail when I have no purpose?

Mail john rather than nospam...
Christian McArdle

You can set it to any value you like. My only gripe with it is
that it rather advertises to any burglar who might break in, just
how long the house is likely to be unoccupied.

The average burglar can't read, let alone work out how to get the remaining
period off a programmable thermostat. I know, I went to school with most of
them.

Christian.

chris French

In message , Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:05:05 GMT, Tony Bryer wrote:

This holiday feature isn't IMO very useful.

Check your household insurance - mine specifies (and i think
it is pretty common) that when the house is unoccupied that
the CH be left on a minimum temp - I think mine is 15 C.

Unless I've remembered wrongly the CM67 holiday setting
incorporates frost protection (5C?). 15C is IMO high for an
unoccupied property unless you have valuable antiques or
suchlike,

I'd also be surprised if ordinary household the insurance stated a
minimum temp.

Mine does, but not quite what I remembered.

It specifies a maintaining minimum temp of 55F (13C?), however this is
when the house is unoccupied. Unoccupied is defined as being un-lived in
for over 60 days .(my previous had a similar sort of thing)

--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French

In message , chris French
writes

Mine does, but not quite what I remembered.

It specifies a maintaining minimum temp of 55F (13C?), however this is
when the house is unoccupied. Unoccupied is defined as being un-lived
in for over 60 days .(my previous had a similar sort of thing)

I missed the bit about this being unless you drain down the systems and
turn off the mains etc.

--
Chris French, Leeds
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:38:54 -0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

The average burglar can't read, let alone work out how to get the
remaining period off a programmable thermostat.

I think it shows on the display in 3/4" high numbers... Now if that is
visible from the outside it is another useful bit of information and
one thing burglars don't miss is useful bits of information.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Room Stat BIC UK diy 12 December 10th 03 03:31 PM
Sunvic TLX6501 Programmable Room Thermostat David Hearn UK diy 2 October 28th 03 05:48 PM
Horstmann Programmable Room Stat John UK diy 9 October 8th 03 08:03 PM
CH / Boiler Firing even though Programmer is set to off when room thermo is up! Mobileadam UK diy 2 October 2nd 03 12:19 PM
HWCH : Thermostat for one room Frank Z UK diy 3 July 31st 03 11:19 AM