John Stumbles

Default Which Programmable Room Stat?

"Set Square" wrote in message
I am seriously considering replacing the room stat on my central heating
system with a programmable stat - to enable me to have several different
temperatures set during the course of the day. I have a Danfoss SET5
programmer which will continue to programme the hot water - but with CH

set
to "continuous".

I notice that a number of companies make (or sell) programmable stats -
including Drayton, Honeywell, Horstmann, Sunvic (plus Screwfix) - all of
which are basically similar but with a few variations.

Features which seem to me to be useful include:
* At least 4 programmed events per 24 hours (preferably 6)
* Time resolution (granularity) of 10 minutes or better
* 2 day types (nominally weekday/weekend) with the ability to set any day

either type
* Temporary over-ride without re-programming
* Holiday feature enabling the heating to be off for a period and them
resume automatically after a specified number of days - preferably up to

at
least 50 days

Does anyone have a view on this shopping list? Have I missed anything
important? Are any of the above features a waste of time? [I'm only

looking
at wired models - I can't see any point in using an RF model since the

wires
are already in the right place].

I would particularly like the over-ride to work in the same way as my
current programmer if possible - but I haven't found any that are exactly
equivalent yet. My current programmer (which admittedly is only

controlling
the on/off function and not temperature) has an "Advance" button which

takes
it to the next programmed event early, and then reverts to the set
programme. For example, if it is set for 2 on periods (say 7am-10am and
4pm-8pm), if I press this button at noon it will come on straight away
(instead of waiting till 4pm) and stay on until 8pm. Most programmable

stats
which I have looked at seem to have up/down buttons to enable you to

change
the set temperature until the next programmed event - but not simply to

jump
to the next event and adopt whatever temperature is specified for that
event. Are there any which can do this?

I would welcome recommendations of specific makes/models to look at based

on
the above requirements and (hopefully) your personal experience of any you
recommend.

The Horstmann (sold by Screwfix, and others though sometimes badged
differently AIUI) is not what you want. I know, I've got one :-(

There's a Sunvic (dunno the model number offhand) which may be closer to
your ideal (pretty sure it hasn't got the advance feature, and not sure
about the holiday feature though)

I think there was a[t least one] thread on this recently - Google

--
John Stumbles