Andy Asberry

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:54:31 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
.. .
I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

Does anyone have experience with wireless ISP, either as a customer,
provider, technician or designer? I'm interested in the 2 to 5 mile
variety; not hot spot. I'm on the prairie. A 100 foot tower would
cover a 10 mile radius.

Groups to query? Links? Equipment suppliers?

Andy

Are you sure about the $600.00 per month from DirecWay? I recently
looked at their site and thought they could provide fast downlink and slow
(telephone line modem) uplink for $100.00 per month with a 15 month
commitment. The price drops to about $60.00 per month after that.

Jerry

$600 is for T1.

I tried DirectWay. $99/mo for 2,200K download, 168K up. When it
worked, it was great. They gave me a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. It
worked THREE times in 30 days. I grew tired of talking with tech
support in India. They offered another 30 days with a new installer
and new equipment. The installers had trouble staying online long
enough to orient the dish. Connected TEN times in 30 days. I boxed it
up and sent it back. The satisfaction guarantee doesn't include refund
of monthly fee. It cost me $198 for 13 hookups.

Also watch out for "fair use limitations". If you plan on downloading
big files, you may get knocked offline until tomorrow if you exceed
their daily use limits. Those limits are a moving target. Changes
every day. This wasn't my problem, by the way.

They are big on promises and short on delivery.