Jerry Martes

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article HB5%d.7630$b_6.6146@trnddc01,
Jerry Martes wrote:

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
. ..
I'm out in the country. Only internet hookup is dialup or DirectWay
(been there, done that; not recommended). Connection speed is 26.4. T1
is available for $600 month.

[ ... ]

Are you sure about the $600.00 per month from DirecWay?

He said the $600.00/month was for a T1 feed -- 1.54 mb/s both
ways at the same time. That is about what mine is costing me, with a
Class-C IP block (254 usable IP addresses) and a partial news feed.

I recently
looked at their site and thought they could provide fast downlink and slow
(telephone line modem) uplink for $100.00 per month with a 15 month
commitment. The price drops to about $60.00 per month after that.

That sounds like an ADSL connection -- and for that you have to
be within a certain minimum distance from the exchange. It does not
sound as though he is anywhere close to near enough, so the (A)DSL feed
is not an option for him. The T1 winds up with the phone company
hanging a repeater every so many thousand feet, so they will be earning
their $600/month fee with him. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

DoN

I read it wrong. I thought Andy figured he was restricted to either Dial
Up or Direct Way (which was quite expensive) and I thought the satellite TV
guys might provide an affordable high speed downlink almost everywhere. I
wasnt even aware the DirecWay satellite "broadband" was restricted to where
special phone lines are available.

Jerry