Too_Many_Tools

Default Building a Belt Grinder

I am considering building a belt grinder.

Hey, who am I kidding...of course I am going to build one. One can
never have too many tools. ;)

I have taken the time to look at a number of commerical and home built
versions.

Of course after doing this, I have more questions than answers. ;)

If you were going to build a belt grinder, what form would it take?

I note that 2"x72" seem to be the most common belt size.

Would you recommend a different size?

Would you use a vertical, horizontal, adjustable platen or none at all?

What size of motor? Speed?

Any dust collection?

If you are aware of any good designs to copy, please feel free to offer
a pointer to them.

I am not trying to build just one grinder but it would be nice to keep
the number to a minimum of variations.

Thanks

TMT

~Roy~

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:10:29 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

===http://www.unigrinder.com/
===
===Too_Many_Tools wrote:
===
=== I am considering building a belt grinder.
===
=== Hey, who am I kidding...of course I am going to build one. One can
=== never have too many tools. ;)
===
=== I have taken the time to look at a number of commerical and home built
=== versions.
===
=== Of course after doing this, I have more questions than answers. ;)
===
=== If you were going to build a belt grinder, what form would it take?

Been using mine like it is now for a few years, and other than making
an additional wheel for onger belts I like it just like it is, so I
would not change a thing.
===
=== I note that 2"x72" seem to be the most common belt size.

The longer the belt usually the longer they last as there is more time
for the belt to cool before it comes around again to get heated up in
the grinding process, but then again wider and longer cost more too.
===
=== Would you recommend a different size?

I made mine originally for a 1 1/2 x 60" belt which I am able to get
for a lot less than the 2" x 72" belts, but have added an additional
wheel on it so I can utilize either 1 1/2 or 2" belts of 60 or 72 inch
lengths
===
=== Would you use a vertical, horizontal, adjustable platen or none at all?

I made mine with a platten, its hard to get a flat surface without
one, however without a platen it makes for easier contouring a round
object etc. So I made my platten soit can be lowered out of the way,
give the belt a bit of slack and I can easily grind rounded items
without flat spotting or aking longitudinal marks. I also made mine
with my platten on an angle so I can sort of lay an item on it and let
its own weight do the work. The contact wheel sticks out mainly
straight from mine as I wanted it that way so I could have more
clearance and room to snag castings.......so make it to suit what your
main intent is........

===
=== What size of motor? Speed?

I do not recall what my SFPM is anymore, but just look at the typical
belt grinders speeds,and make it accordingly. Higher speed is not a
problem if you are carefull not to overheat what your grinding, but I
choose to go with a three step pulley setup on a 1.5 hp motor and get
in the ranges of most metal working belt grinders. Go with a TEFC type
motor.
===
=== Any dust collection?

Nope, I usually use a stick belt lube, so dust is not a problem, but
its a lot messier than dry grinding is, but the belts last so much
longer and the finish is much nicer.
===
=== If you are aware of any good designs to copy, please feel free to offer
=== a pointer to them.

http://www.Beaumontmetals.com is one site with a few variations of
belt grinders on it, and of course i have top mention my website with
my grinder on it.
http://www.frugalmachinist.com The grinder I made is on my projects
page.

===
=== I am not trying to build just one grinder but it would be nice to keep
=== the number to a minimum of variations.

I can pull out my front contact wheel spindle, and insert a spindle I
made for buffing and polishing, slip on a 3 step pulley opn the
opposite side, pull belt from rear drive wheel on grinder to the front
spindle pulley and be buffing or polishing items in less than 5
minutes with the same belt grinder.
===
=== Thanks
===
=== TMT
===

Lane

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
http://www.unigrinder.com/

Wow, what a neat versatile machine. I need to make one of these some day.
Thanks Grant.

Grant Erwin

Lane wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

http://www.unigrinder.com/

Wow, what a neat versatile machine. I need to make one of these some day.
Thanks Grant.

I got the plans, Lane. When someday arrives, let me know, we'll work something
out. Building the thing is on my long long long long project list .. - GWE

Grant Erwin

Mike, Lane lives in my neck of the woods (nearish Seattle, Washington) --
this is something I knew already. Do you? Else it would make more sense
for you to just get your own copy of the plans. They are well-drawn and
are worth the money. Just one thing, they call for step pulleys and if you
do order the McMaster-Carr step pulleys in that size be prepared to machine
them to run true because they won't. The unigrinder designer told me that
guys had had problems with the belt/pulley setup and I believe those problems
were due to pulleys with bad runout.

Grant Erwin

Lane wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

http://www.unigrinder.com/

Wow, what a neat versatile machine. I need to make one of these some day.
Thanks Grant.

I got the plans, Lane. When someday arrives, let me know, we'll work
something
out. Building the thing is on my long long long long project list .. - GWE

Lane

Lane wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

http://www.unigrinder.com/

Wow, what a neat versatile machine. I need to make one of these some day.
Thanks Grant.

I got the plans, Lane. When someday arrives, let me know, we'll work
something
out. Building the thing is on my long long long long project list .. - GWE

Thanks for the offer Grant. I'll keep it in mind.... when someday comes.
Lane

news.mcn.org

Try this link: http://beaumontmetalworks.com/grinder.html

Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the infomation everyone...it is appreciated.

Would you build or buy?

How big of a motor would you want your grinder to have?

Would you rather have one belt grinder that takes different belts and
assumes different work positions or several grinders dedicated to
different jobs? I can go either way.

TMT

Larry Jaques

On 9 Mar 2005 07:52:25 -0800, the inscrutable "Too_Many_Tools"
spake:

Thanks for the infomation everyone...it is appreciated.

Would you build or buy?

Build, of course. I bought the Delta 1" and will build future
belt sanders.

How big of a motor would you want your grinder to have?

Free motors can be had from scrap washers and dryers. You don't
want too much horsepower behind a belt or you'll tend to burn
things. Let the speed variation show that you're pushing too
hard so you learn to ease up.

Would you rather have one belt grinder that takes different belts and
assumes different work positions or several grinders dedicated to
different jobs? I can go either way.

Several. You could set them up for different types of jobs or
identically save for the grit, then grind and finish in 2 quick steps.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming
R. O'Brian

A feature I added to my 1" belt grinder is variable speed. I changed out
the motor to 3-phase and bought a VFD to match.

It has been a wonderful thing to have on a general purpose grinder. You can
run fast with a coarse belt for rapid stock removal and slow with a
polishing belt for finishing, knife sharpening, etc. Medium-low speed with
plastics avoids melting.

You can also tune for minimum vibration for precision work. Any belt
arrangement will have likely have several fixed speeds where the unsupported
belt vibrates like a guitar string. Variable speed lets you avoid those
vibrations.

Randy

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Lew Hartswick

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

If you were going to build a belt grinder, what form would it take?

I note that 2"x72" seem to be the most common belt size.

Would you recommend a different size?

Would you use a vertical, horizontal, adjustable platen or none at all?

What size of motor? Speed?

Any dust collection?

TMT

We were just discussing this the other day while looking at the one in
the shop. 2" wide by whatever it takes to get around the wheels.
One large wheel with no crown to act as a grinding wheel for chisels
wood lathe gouges etc. A flat platten with an adjustable support
in front. Good smoothe variable speed drive motor.
Those were the first go at requirements.
...lew...