Bob Davis

Default Changing the belt on a Jet Supersaw

I've read more than one post that changing the belt on a Jet Supersaw is
extremely difficult. Well, I happened to be cleaning my saw and inspecting
the belt just to see what kind of shape its in. I did not intend to remove
the belt and did not read any instructions on how to. Out of curiousity, I
tilted the blade to 45 degrees and lowered it all the way. This gave super
easy access to see and inspect the belt. The motor is mounted with a spring
that keeps tension on the belt. On a lark, I just reach over and pulled the
motor. I was able to lift it a couple of inches (not too difficult) and
removed the belt. This operation took about 20 seconds and was about as easy
as it gets. The PolyV belt does apparently does not require a lot of tension
to work. The belt was in excellent condition (6 months use). I cleaned it
and put it back without using any tools. The saw has been running fine ever
since.

Now if you choose to change the belt without tilting and lowering the blade,
you'll be standing on your head and cursing for quite a while.

Bob

mttt

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
nk.net...

I've read more than one post that changing the belt on a Jet Supersaw is
extremely difficult. Well, I happened to be cleaning my saw and

inspecting

Bob - it wasn't the Poly V-Belt on my saw that broke. And I believe all of
the complaints about the difficulty are related to the *Timing Belt*. (At
least that's what I see on Amazon).

The Timing Belt raises and lowers the blade.
The replacement procedure is outlined in the manual right after the Poly
V-Belt.

It was a b*tch to replace and not sure why Jet picked a belt instead of a
gear mechanism.

Bob Davis

OHHHH!!! Lightbulbs go on. I was all wet. Now I understand. So that's
the belt that Jet said was mounted too tightly on early models? Otherwise
it seems like it certainly would not be subject to wear, since its not much
of a moving part.

Bob

"mttt" wrote in message

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
nk.net...

I've read more than one post that changing the belt on a Jet Supersaw is
extremely difficult. Well, I happened to be cleaning my saw and

inspecting

Bob - it wasn't the Poly V-Belt on my saw that broke. And I believe all of
the complaints about the difficulty are related to the *Timing Belt*. (At
least that's what I see on Amazon).

The Timing Belt raises and lowers the blade.
The replacement procedure is outlined in the manual right after the Poly
V-Belt.

It was a b*tch to replace and not sure why Jet picked a belt instead of a
gear mechanism.

mttt

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
k.net...

OHHHH!!! Lightbulbs go on. I was all wet. Now I understand. So that's
the belt that Jet said was mounted too tightly on early models?

Yepper's... Got my saw in Oct 2002 and the belt lasted about 10 months,
IIRC