~Roy~

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:10:29 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

===http://www.unigrinder.com/
===
===Too_Many_Tools wrote:
===
=== I am considering building a belt grinder.
===
=== Hey, who am I kidding...of course I am going to build one. One can
=== never have too many tools. ;)
===
=== I have taken the time to look at a number of commerical and home built
=== versions.
===
=== Of course after doing this, I have more questions than answers. ;)
===
=== If you were going to build a belt grinder, what form would it take?

Been using mine like it is now for a few years, and other than making
an additional wheel for onger belts I like it just like it is, so I
would not change a thing.
===
=== I note that 2"x72" seem to be the most common belt size.

The longer the belt usually the longer they last as there is more time
for the belt to cool before it comes around again to get heated up in
the grinding process, but then again wider and longer cost more too.
===
=== Would you recommend a different size?

I made mine originally for a 1 1/2 x 60" belt which I am able to get
for a lot less than the 2" x 72" belts, but have added an additional
wheel on it so I can utilize either 1 1/2 or 2" belts of 60 or 72 inch
lengths
===
=== Would you use a vertical, horizontal, adjustable platen or none at all?

I made mine with a platten, its hard to get a flat surface without
one, however without a platen it makes for easier contouring a round
object etc. So I made my platten soit can be lowered out of the way,
give the belt a bit of slack and I can easily grind rounded items
without flat spotting or aking longitudinal marks. I also made mine
with my platten on an angle so I can sort of lay an item on it and let
its own weight do the work. The contact wheel sticks out mainly
straight from mine as I wanted it that way so I could have more
clearance and room to snag castings.......so make it to suit what your
main intent is........

===
=== What size of motor? Speed?

I do not recall what my SFPM is anymore, but just look at the typical
belt grinders speeds,and make it accordingly. Higher speed is not a
problem if you are carefull not to overheat what your grinding, but I
choose to go with a three step pulley setup on a 1.5 hp motor and get
in the ranges of most metal working belt grinders. Go with a TEFC type
motor.
===
=== Any dust collection?

Nope, I usually use a stick belt lube, so dust is not a problem, but
its a lot messier than dry grinding is, but the belts last so much
longer and the finish is much nicer.
===
=== If you are aware of any good designs to copy, please feel free to offer
=== a pointer to them.

http://www.Beaumontmetals.com is one site with a few variations of
belt grinders on it, and of course i have top mention my website with
my grinder on it.
http://www.frugalmachinist.com The grinder I made is on my projects
page.

===
=== I am not trying to build just one grinder but it would be nice to keep
=== the number to a minimum of variations.

I can pull out my front contact wheel spindle, and insert a spindle I
made for buffing and polishing, slip on a 3 step pulley opn the
opposite side, pull belt from rear drive wheel on grinder to the front
spindle pulley and be buffing or polishing items in less than 5
minutes with the same belt grinder.
===
=== Thanks
===