Gunner

Default Running a 3ph mig on an RPC

I traded for a minty Airco PhaseArc 350 mig welder last week with the
idea of maybe either being able to run it from a 5hp rotary phase
converter that I run my machine tools in my hobby shop with, or
selling it and purchasing a single phase machine.

Yesterday morning, I wired it up, using a 12/3 100' extension cord. I
figured I might as well try it worst case. (yes, I know..no safety
ground..shrug)

To make a long story short, it worked beautifuly. I spent about 5
minutes doing nothing but filling the top of a chunk of plate with a
6" continious back and forth bead of .035 wire, thinking that
something should get warm, or reach welding time % and it just kept
feeding and burning with that marvelous frying bacon sound, with good
puddle and penetration. I sectioned a chunk of the plate with an
abrasive saw and penetration was very good.

I then loaded a spool of .045 dual shield and did the same thing. It
took a fair amount more volts of course, and every thing worked fine.
I do have an issue with the Arcomatic lV wire feeder with the bigger
wire, as its not the proper feed roller for that size I dont
think..but all in all it burned well. The .035 burned best with the
meter settings at 21-22 volts and the welding output amp meter showed
around 100-125 amps during welding. Today Ill put a amp meter on the
line and see what the actual draw on the RPC is
Everything remained nice and cool, even the horrendously long and
undersized extension cord remained cool.

A Rotary Phase converter is easy to build, lots of plans on the net,
and they can be built quite cheaply.

So picking up a decent commercial 3ph mig welder cheaply (since lots
of folks are going to inverter machines) is a pretty viable way to get
a decent commercial grade MIG welder and being able to run it on
single phase home power.

I dont have any 3ph stick or tig machines, so I cannot give any data
on what one of those would take to run.

YMMV of course.

Gunner, off to weld up a cart for that big ******* G

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
Doctor John

Hey Gunner - your old tofu eating buddy here....
We had a thread going on this before - can you give any specifics of how to
wire the three phase to a 220 V single phase? Did you just hook the two
lines in to two of the three phase ins? I've got an old beater 300amp
continuous duty DC phase which I would really like to use. I don't have a
DC stick welder other than this, and this has an auxiliary MIG wire feed
unit, so it could be a great machine, if I can just feed it the right kind
of juice. Thanks

John

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

Gunner

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:30:03 -0700, "Doctor John"
wrote:

Hey Gunner - your old tofu eating buddy here....
We had a thread going on this before - can you give any specifics of how to
wire the three phase to a 220 V single phase? Did you just hook the two
lines in to two of the three phase ins? I've got an old beater 300amp
continuous duty DC phase which I would really like to use. I don't have a
DC stick welder other than this, and this has an auxiliary MIG wire feed
unit, so it could be a great machine, if I can just feed it the right kind
of juice. Thanks

John

John....I was running the welder on 3ph, generated by a Rotary phase
converter, which is basicly just a 5 hp 3ph motor and some capaciters.
You feed it single phase, and depending on how its built, it will
either start itself, or you pull a rope wrapped around the motor
shaft, to get it up to speed, at which point it generates the 3rd leg
of power and gives you 3phase output. Mine happens to be an
older..very old in fact commerical rotory phase converter, but there
are any numbers of plans out there to build your own, using a surplus
3 phase motor, some relays and some capacitors.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/fig1.html
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph...converter.html
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/pro...nv/phconv.html

Ebay has some rotary phase converters also. You do NOT want a "static"
converter or a VFD for welding use.

There is a gentleman who builds panels, and you simply add the proper
sized surplus idler motor, that posts here on rec.crafts.metalworking
occasionally and he used to sell them on Ebay reasonably, if you dont
want to build your own from scratch.

As far as I know, only Inverter welders may be run from single phase,
by simply dropping the third leg (L3) but it does downrate the output
of the welder by about 1/3.

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Doctor John

Thanks, Gunner. I misunderstood the post. Not sure if I'm ready to dive
into 3 phase converters - I may just sell the old beast and buy a 220 V DC
stick welder.

John

wrote:

[...]

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner wrote:

snip

To make a long story short, it worked beautifuly. I spent about 5
minutes doing nothing but filling the top of a chunk of plate with a
6" continious back and forth bead of .035 wire, thinking that
something should get warm, or reach welding time % and it just kept
feeding and burning with that marvelous frying bacon sound, with good
puddle and penetration. I sectioned a chunk of the plate with an
abrasive saw and penetration was very good.

snip
I have to testify - Gunner was in full smiling mode when I got there
yesterday afternoon! - I was there to go through the treasure trove.
Came back with treasure.

I think a motorcycle trailer would be a good start : Then a 10 HP tractor
to haul it around the shop. :-)

Well the axle and frame might be a good start anyway.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Gunner

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 05:02:53 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

snip

To make a long story short, it worked beautifuly. I spent about 5
minutes doing nothing but filling the top of a chunk of plate with a
6" continious back and forth bead of .035 wire, thinking that
something should get warm, or reach welding time % and it just kept
feeding and burning with that marvelous frying bacon sound, with good
puddle and penetration. I sectioned a chunk of the plate with an
abrasive saw and penetration was very good.

snip
I have to testify - Gunner was in full smiling mode when I got there
yesterday afternoon! - I was there to go through the treasure trove.
Came back with treasure.

Thanks for coming by Martin. You are a gentleman and a scholar. It
was my deepest pleasure finally meeting you. Damned shame we didnt
have more time to dig though the Stuff. I found other Stuff after you
left I had thought you might like, and that vacuum pump is still
sitting on the bench. I also have a nice takedown Rubbermaid
workbench I thought you could use, it breaks down pretty well and
doesnt weigh anything and we never did get a chance to get you some
HSS tool steel, plastic and metal drops, etc out of the bins.

Respects and regards

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:27:13 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

Thanks for coming by Martin. You are a gentleman and a scholar. It
was my deepest pleasure finally meeting you. Damned shame we didnt
have more time to dig though the Stuff. I found other Stuff after you
left I had thought you might like, and that vacuum pump is still
sitting on the bench. I also have a nice takedown Rubbermaid
workbench I thought you could use, it breaks down pretty well and
doesnt weigh anything and we never did get a chance to get you some
HSS tool steel, plastic and metal drops, etc out of the bins.

Damn. After that last sentence, I know I'll never be able to drop
by your place with a mere 1/2-ton pickup. I'll look for a good
used 10-yd dump and swing on by later.

"Got cranes?" should be the new Gunner's Shopping Mall catch phrase.

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
http://www.diversify.com Website Applications

Gunner

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:00:24 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:27:13 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

Thanks for coming by Martin. You are a gentleman and a scholar. It
was my deepest pleasure finally meeting you. Damned shame we didnt
have more time to dig though the Stuff. I found other Stuff after you
left I had thought you might like, and that vacuum pump is still
sitting on the bench. I also have a nice takedown Rubbermaid
workbench I thought you could use, it breaks down pretty well and
doesnt weigh anything and we never did get a chance to get you some
HSS tool steel, plastic and metal drops, etc out of the bins.

Damn. After that last sentence, I know I'll never be able to drop
by your place with a mere 1/2-ton pickup. I'll look for a good
used 10-yd dump and swing on by later.

"Got cranes?" should be the new Gunner's Shopping Mall catch phrase.

Lol.,.,.Ive been throwing away a lot of perfectly good Stuff. What I
need the most at the moment is about an hour or so and an offroad
forklift so I can move a bunch of the Gaylord Pallets out of the back
yard and down to the warehouse.

But yall are welcome to come on by any weekend and start bin diving.

Gunner

----------------------------------
================================================= =

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Jim Stewart

wrote:

[...]

If you ever find a surplus Army 10,000lb. rough terrain forklift,
I'll come down and drive it for you (:

================================================ ==

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Kris M.

wrote:

[...]

I know you don't have much disposable income, but I rented a forklift
much like I imagine you need for 4 hours to unload my lathe to the tune
of about $175. Not bad when you have a horrible driveway don't really
have any other option.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/k/...cs/lathe_1.jpg