Modat22

Default Whats would be the easiest way to attach a generator head to an automotive motor.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 25 kw ST generator head and an
old ford escort for the motor and misc running hardware.

I'm trying to think of how I would couple the gen head to the motor
flywheel. I'm thinking of getting a stick shift car and leaving the
clutch and pressure plate installed then robbing the jack shaft from
the transmission. Problem is that I think the generator head alignment
would have to be so accurate as to make it unfeasible for me to do at
home.

Another idea I'm thinking about is having a plate machined that would
bolt to the flywheel and have a 1.5 inch shaft coming off of it that I
could couple to the generator head with a heavy duty rubber insert
type coupler. (I'm concerned that this setup would be hard for me to
balance, and the stresses on the shaft welded to the plate be to high)

Would anyone have a better idea for me to follow?

thanks
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:21:25 GMT, Modat22 wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of buying a 25 kw ST generator head and an
old ford escort for the motor and misc running hardware.

How about a VW Diesel instead? More suited to power generation,
better fuel to have around in quantity.

I'm trying to think of how I would couple the gen head to the motor
flywheel. I'm thinking of getting a stick shift car and leaving the
clutch and pressure plate installed then robbing the jack shaft from
the transmission. Problem is that I think the generator head alignment
would have to be so accurate as to make it unfeasible for me to do at
home.

Could you use a CV joint in the process, to make alignment less critical?

Would anyone have a better idea for me to follow?

Maybe alt.energy.homepower would be another group to ask in. Also,
google for "cogeneration" (the concept of using the engine both to turn
the generator, _and_ to use the radiator as a heat device for the house).

Dave Hinz
Grant Erwin

Modat22 wrote:

[...]

Search McMaster-Carr for couplers. Was just there. - GWE
Modat22

On 7 Feb 2005 17:24:00 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Found an answer, seems many folks machine a flywheel plate with a
2inch shaft on it, then use a heavy duty lovejoy shaft coupler. Would
love a diesel engine but I found a wreck with a rebuilt 4 banger in it
for a good price.

Thanks guys
stanley baer

Modat22 wrote:
[...]

Does anybody know what the efficiency of a lovejoy coupling would be as
opposed to removing the front bearing of the generator and coupling it
hard as is done with commercial units?

I really think getting a vw diesel is worth it if you are planning to
use it much. A lightly loaded diesel uses so much less fuel (I would
think about 65%) compared to a gas engine. Around here old VW diesels
can be bought for about $300 Canadian.

I plan to run mine on a mixture of old fry oil and diesel fuel, and use
the waste heat from the rad and from the exhust to warm my shop a bit
while I am in it.

The money that I spend making it and the little leanto it will be housed
in (about $1000) will be offset by the cost of burying a 250' line from
the house to the garage.

In the long run I would like to add a few batteries and an inverter so
that I don't have to run the generator unless I am using something big
or something three phase.

stan

Not sure about you generator head, but some have very husky bearings
and will work well belt driven. If you do that, I would look at the
multiple v belts used on cars and get the pulleys from the local scrap
yard. With a belt drive you can drive the generator at something other
than the engine speed.

Dan

Modat22 wrote:

Would anyone have a better idea for me to follow?

thanks

Lucky Strike

Someone's been reading my mind 8-)

How many HP in a VW diesel?

Have you considered using triple V-belt and pulleys? Saves on alignment as
well.

"stanley baer" wrote in message
Modat22 wrote:
[...]

Jon Elson

stanley baer wrote:

Does anybody know what the efficiency of a lovejoy coupling would be
as opposed to removing the front bearing of the generator and coupling
it hard as is done with commercial units?

Efficiency? It should be so close to 100% you'd have trouble measuring
it. It will probably
devlop some heating as it absorbs the power stroke pulsations of the
engine. But, if this
heating is excessive, it will smoke the rubber part, maning you need a
bigger coupling.
A 25 Hp coupling designed to take IC engine punsihment is going to be
pretty big!

Jon

Jon Elson

Ignoramus26468 wrote:

Have you considered using a system of pulleys?

The pulley on the generator head side could be attached to a separate
shaft, which would be connected to the head's shaft with a U-joint.

Pulleys? For a 25 KW alternator? That could be pretty big! The alternator
may not like that much side force on the shaft, either.

Another idea I'm thinking about is having a plate machined that would
bolt to the flywheel and have a 1.5 inch shaft coming off of it that I
could couple to the generator head with a heavy duty rubber insert
type coupler. (I'm concerned that this setup would be hard for me to
balance, and the stresses on the shaft welded to the plate be to high)

Many alternators and generators designed for IC engine drive have a "quill"
inside a hollow shaft. This is essentially a torsion spring that allows
the engine
to vary in speed due to the power strokes without massive torque pulses
between
the engine and alternator. If this alternator is so equipped, the quill
also serves
as a coupling, and will take quite a bit of misalignment. They often have a
rubber damper (looks like a tiny clutch) to absorb any resonance in the
quill.

This would work if you can run the motor continuously at the desired
RPM, is it 3,600 or 1,800 for those ST heads?

Yeah, if its a 3600 RPM alternator. you REALLY don't want to have the
car engine wailing away at 3600 RPM all the time.

Jon

Jon Elson

Modat22 wrote:

On 7 Feb 2005 13:19:09 -0800, wrote:

Not sure about you generator head, but some have very husky bearings
and will work well belt driven. If you do that, I would look at the
multiple v belts used on cars and get the pulleys from the local scrap
yard. With a belt drive you can drive the generator at something other
than the engine speed.

Dan

The generator head I'm looking at is designed for 1800 rpm and
requires a minimum 50 shaft horsepower. A car engine with a modified
cruise control (use as governor) will fill that bill easily.

I don't trust belts much.

Good thinking! 50 shaft HP? I guess maybe that is to deal with the problem
of small, air cooled engines being rated on their peak HP. They will melt
down if run at rated HP for more than 5 minutes or so. 25 KW should
actually absorb 33.5 Hp plus the losses in the alternator. 37 Hp should
do it, but of course the engine has to be happy putting out 37 REAL shaft
HP continuously. Now that I think about it, the Escort engine may not
be happy under your full load. Some highway cruise power numbers I've seen
indicate small passenger cars can cruise on 12 - 15 Hp. Of course, there's
extra for air cond, power steering, electrical loads, radiator fan,
transmission
losses (a big one), etc. But, 37 Hp may be equivalent to driving that
poor Escort
at 100 MPH! Maybe without the accessories and transaxle it may be able to
do it, too.

Do you really need the full 25 KW?

Jon

Belts can be reliable. The ones that your escort engine uses last a
long time.
Maybe not as long as a lovejoy coupling, but still a long time.
But you probably can not use a lovejoy coupling as your engine is
unlikely to produce 50 hp at 1800 rpm. You may have to run the engine
at 2400 rpm to get 50 hp.

Dan

Modat22 wrote:

The generator head I'm looking at is designed for 1800 rpm and
requires a minimum 50 shaft horsepower. A car engine with a modified
cruise control (use as governor) will fill that bill easily.

I don't trust belts much.

Greg O

"Modat22" wrote in message

Dan

The generator head I'm looking at is designed for 1800 rpm and
requires a minimum 50 shaft horsepower. A car engine with a modified
cruise control (use as governor) will fill that bill easily.

I don't trust belts much.

I would bet money that your Ford Escort will not provide 50 HP @ 1800 RPM,
you will need to run the engine faster. Those small cubic inch four bangers
usually produced their HP at pretty high RPM's, 3600 RPM may get you there,
2/1 ratio with belts.

What size engine is that Escort engine?
For example Generac runs a 1.5 liter in their 25 KW standby generators. They
run them at 3600 to get enough HP to spin them. That same engine is run at
1800 RPM on a 15 KW generator.

They do make a 25 KW that runs a 2.5 liter I-4 that runs 1800 RPM.
On their 30 KW that runs at 1800 RPM the run a 3.0 liter V-6.
On their 40 KW that runs at 1800 RPM they run a 3.9 liter V-6

You may be able to run at 2400 RPM with a 1.33 ratio.

If all else fails you can run it at 1800 RPM, but it probably will stall the
engine if you try to load the generator 100%. You may be can load it to
15-20 KW.
Direct drive with a Love-Joy coupling would be the simplest.
Greg

bw

"Modat22" wrote in message
On 7 Feb 2005 17:24:00 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
Found an answer, seems many folks machine a flywheel plate with a
2inch shaft on it, then use a heavy duty lovejoy shaft coupler. Would
love a diesel engine but I found a wreck with a rebuilt 4 banger in it
for a good price.

Keep the transaxle/clutch on the engine. Adapt the CV joint as a PTO to the
gen.
You will need to run the engine at around maximum torque to get best
lifespan/hours efficiency.
Then put the transmission into whichever gear to get the best RPM for the
generator.

Anthony

stanley baer wrote in
:

Does anybody know what the efficiency of a lovejoy coupling would be
as opposed to removing the front bearing of the generator and coupling
it hard as is done with commercial units?

The efficiency would be the same. This is two solid coupling ends with a
rubber insert, in a 6-eared configuration, but provides a direct
connection. Basically, direct drive, with alignment allowance. They are
used everywhere in industry, on small to very, very large loads and
horsepowers.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Don Bruder

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus26468 wrote:

[...]

In general, that would indeed be true. But what says you've gotta have
the beast mounted directly to the engine? Especially if you've got the
tranny sitting right there to go with it.

Overall, if I were as worried about the side-loads and alignment as the
OP seems to be, I'd take the beast and mount it with a doubled pulley
system - triple-belt from tailshaft of tranny, belted onto half of a
6-position pulley on the alternator head, then a triple-belt from the
alternator to an idler pulley positioned and tensioned to balance the
side-force from the tranny pulley. Presto. You're balanced and aligned
as good as you're ever likely to get.

Select appropriate gear to give a comfy 3600 on the tailshaft of the
tranny, and you run 1:1 pulleys. Dunno about the OP's engine, but if I
were to do that with my spare Mazda engine/tranny set, I'd probably have
it in third gear with the engine turning right around 27-2800, which is
dead in the sweet spot for this little 4-popper/5-speed combo. I'd have
to do the math again to figure out exactly where to pin the engine for a
dead-on 3600 at the tranny output, but that's trivia. It should be
putting out just short of 75 ponies in that configuration. Ought to
power a REAL healthy genset... How many watts is 75 horsepower again?

I could go with being able to say "Rolling blackout? What's that?"

Hmmm... Y'all've given me an inspiration... I'll keep you posted on
what, if anything, develops.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Modat22

On 8 Feb 2005 16:24:24 GMT, Ignoramus6625
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:11:01 GMT, Modat22 wrote:
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:29:37 -0800, Tom wrote:

Modat22 wrote:

On 7 Feb 2005 13:19:09 -0800, wrote:

Not sure about you generator head, but some have very husky bearings
and will work well belt driven. If you do that, I would look at the
multiple v belts used on cars and get the pulleys from the local scrap
yard. With a belt drive you can drive the generator at something other
than the engine speed.

Dan

The generator head I'm looking at is designed for 1800 rpm and
requires a minimum 50 shaft horsepower. A car engine with a modified
cruise control (use as governor) will fill that bill easily.

I don't trust belts much.

Your Ford escort has 50 bhp @ 1800 rpm?

Tom

After chatting with my mechanic friend looks like I'm going to go with
an inline 6 motor since the escort motor will only develop around 25
hp at 1800 rpm unless I put a different cam in it. (Which I don't want
to fudge with). The 6 cylinder should develop 45 plus hp at 1800 rpm.

I cannot help but ask, what is the application that requires your
setup to produce 25 kW. Why not choose some lower power output and
have a lot less problems? If you choose say 10-12 kW output, you can get
away with much smaller, cheaper engines, use less fuel, have more
flexibility with choices of couplings etc. The cost is also going to
be lower.

I believe those ST heads are available in 10 and 15 kW variants.

10 kW is adequate for running a house during an outage, and will even
drive central AC nicely, unless you live in a huge mansion. My house
is about 5,000 square feet and uses an approximately 7 kW central AC.

Well, I can buy a new 22kw generator head for 650.00 or a 15 kw for
450.00. I can actually buy a complete, running car (for the motor) for
100.00 from a friend which is cheaper than an air cooled motor.

I'm not worried about the fuel economy since I'll only run it once in
a while for perhaps 8 hours.

I figure I can buy the parts and assemble a 22kw generator unit for
1000.00 or a 15 kw generator for 800.00. I'd rather have the larger
unit.

Modat22

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:47:13 -0500, "Lucky Strike"
wrote:

what brand generator head? do you have a web link?

Well, I can buy a new 22kw generator head for 650.00 or a 15 kw for
450.00. I can actually buy a complete, running car (for the motor) for
100.00 from a friend which is cheaper than an air cooled motor.

I'm not worried about the fuel economy since I'll only run it once in
a while for perhaps 8 hours.

I figure I can buy the parts and assemble a 22kw generator unit for
1000.00 or a 15 kw generator for 800.00. I'd rather have the larger
unit.

ST generator they're an import but very easy to rebuild and the
brushes and bearings are standard shelf items in the US.

Best spot to purchase them IMO is Ebay, I've bought (2) 5KW heads for
family members.

Shipping isn't cheap though
stanley baer

Modat22 wrote:

[...]

I would expect it would have about 18-20 hp at 1800 rpm. It has 50 hp
max. A 1.6l or 1.9l turbo one would be more powerful.

stan
stanley baer

Jon Elson wrote:

Modat22 wrote:

[...]

I my limited generator experience, the generator sounds like it is
heavily loaded ( and in my case actually slows down well below 1800 rpm)
when you start a big motor, once the motor is running the generator has
no problem. The welder seems to draw more evenly.

stan
OldNick

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:24:14 -0600, stanley baer
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Having worked with a gen set, I am going to run 250 _metres_ of power
line to my shop....

The money that I spend making it and the little leanto it will be housed
in (about $1000) will be offset by the cost of burying a 250' line from
the house to the garage.

In the long run I would like to add a few batteries and an inverter so
that I don't have to run the generator unless I am using something big
or something three phase.

stan

stanley baer

OldNick wrote:
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:24:14 -0600, stanley baer
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Having worked with a gen set, I am going to run 250 _metres_ of power
line to my shop....

Do you use a phase convertor to get your three phase then?