Modat22

On 7 Feb 2005 17:24:00 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:21:25 GMT, Modat22 wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of buying a 25 kw ST generator head and an
old ford escort for the motor and misc running hardware.

How about a VW Diesel instead? More suited to power generation,
better fuel to have around in quantity.

I'm trying to think of how I would couple the gen head to the motor
flywheel. I'm thinking of getting a stick shift car and leaving the
clutch and pressure plate installed then robbing the jack shaft from
the transmission. Problem is that I think the generator head alignment
would have to be so accurate as to make it unfeasible for me to do at
home.

Could you use a CV joint in the process, to make alignment less critical?

Would anyone have a better idea for me to follow?

Maybe alt.energy.homepower would be another group to ask in. Also,
google for "cogeneration" (the concept of using the engine both to turn
the generator, _and_ to use the radiator as a heat device for the house).

Dave Hinz

Found an answer, seems many folks machine a flywheel plate with a
2inch shaft on it, then use a heavy duty lovejoy shaft coupler. Would
love a diesel engine but I found a wreck with a rebuilt 4 banger in it
for a good price.

Thanks guys