stanley baer

Lucky Strike wrote:
Someone's been reading my mind 8-)

How many HP in a VW diesel?

Have you considered using triple V-belt and pulleys? Saves on alignment as
well.

"stanley baer" wrote in message

Modat22 wrote:

On 7 Feb 2005 17:24:00 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:21:25 GMT, Modat22 wrote:

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 25 kw ST generator head and an
old ford escort for the motor and misc running hardware.

How about a VW Diesel instead? More suited to power generation,
better fuel to have around in quantity.

I'm trying to think of how I would couple the gen head to the motor
flywheel. I'm thinking of getting a stick shift car and leaving the
clutch and pressure plate installed then robbing the jack shaft from
the transmission. Problem is that I think the generator head alignment
would have to be so accurate as to make it unfeasible for me to do at
home.

Could you use a CV joint in the process, to make alignment less

critical?

Would anyone have a better idea for me to follow?

Maybe alt.energy.homepower would be another group to ask in. Also,
google for "cogeneration" (the concept of using the engine both to turn
the generator, _and_ to use the radiator as a heat device for the

house).

Dave Hinz

Found an answer, seems many folks machine a flywheel plate with a
2inch shaft on it, then use a heavy duty lovejoy shaft coupler. Would
love a diesel engine but I found a wreck with a rebuilt 4 banger in it
for a good price.

Thanks guys

Does anybody know what the efficiency of a lovejoy coupling would be as
opposed to removing the front bearing of the generator and coupling it
hard as is done with commercial units?

I really think getting a vw diesel is worth it if you are planning to
use it much. A lightly loaded diesel uses so much less fuel (I would
think about 65%) compared to a gas engine. Around here old VW diesels
can be bought for about $300 Canadian.

I plan to run mine on a mixture of old fry oil and diesel fuel, and use
the waste heat from the rad and from the exhust to warm my shop a bit
while I am in it.

The money that I spend making it and the little leanto it will be housed
in (about $1000) will be offset by the cost of burying a 250' line from
the house to the garage.

In the long run I would like to add a few batteries and an inverter so
that I don't have to run the generator unless I am using something big
or something three phase.

stan

I would expect it would have about 18-20 hp at 1800 rpm. It has 50 hp
max. A 1.6l or 1.9l turbo one would be more powerful.

stan