Jeepers

Default Sheet metal & Jeep question

The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters
painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the
'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was
toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep",
on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like
"Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I
might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a
body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might
get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

--
Member AAAAAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity.

Tim Wescott

Jeepers wrote:

The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters
painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the
'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was
toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep",
on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like
"Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I
might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a
body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might
get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Try out the body hammer thing with some scrap. Do it against a sandbag
or better yet against a block of pitch. If you like what you see when
you're done, you know what to do.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Steve Peterson

"Jeepers" wrote in message
The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters
painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the
'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was
toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep",
on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like
"Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I
might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a
body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might
get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Have someone cut the lettering out with a CNC plasma cutter and use either
the cut out letters and attach them to the sheetmetal or use the negative to
hammer and dolly them into a piece of 20 ga CR and weld that to your Jeep.
I can do this for you if you would like to contact me off list.

speter00000000000at000000000000000000wcta00000dot0 000net
Steve

Dave Milne

You could cut it out in something (fibreglass ?) and use filler to smooth
the edges perhaps.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Jeepers wrote:

[...]

Don Foreman

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:29:50 -0600, Jeepers
wrote:

The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters
painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the
'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was
toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep",
on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like
"Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I
might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a
body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might
get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Maybe cut the letters out of sheetmetal, chamfer the edges, weld in
place.

In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:
Jeepers wrote:

[...]

Cut out "letters" in some sheet of whatever thickness you need to get them
to the same height as the existing "Joop". Weld/rivet/bolt them onto the flat
sheet metal and use filler or lead to get the contours right.

Not ideal, but should work.

-- Joe

--
Joseph M. Krzeszewski Mechanical Engineering and stuff
Jack of All Trades, Master of None... Yet
Jeepers

In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:

Try out the body hammer thing with some scrap. Do it against a sandbag
or better yet against a block of pitch. If you like what you see when
you're done, you know what to do.

This is what I'd LIKE to do. The downside is having to duplicate it on
the other side. Thanks for the sandbag and pitch tips!

--
Member AAAAAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity.

Jeepers

In article 8

You could cut it out in something (fibreglass ?) and use filler to smooth
the edges perhaps.
Dave Milne

Have someone cut the lettering out with a CNC plasma cutter and use either
the cut out letters and attach them to the sheetmetal or use the negative to
hammer and dolly them into a piece of 20 ga CR and weld that to your Jeep.
Steve

Cut out "letters" in some sheet of whatever thickness you need to get them
to the same height as the existing "Joop". Weld/rivet/bolt them onto the flat
sheet metal and use filler or lead to get the contours right.
Not ideal, but should work.
-- Joe

Best die material, IMHO, would be Micarta....

This sounds like there is a consensus. I'll think about these ideas.

Thanks!

I wouldn't complain if anyone else contributed! ;^0

--
Member AAAAAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity.

Bob May

Get some hard maple and carve the letters in it and then use that as a
pattern for the panel. Try the job on some scrap sheetmetal first so you
get the routiine.
If you end up with some roughness in the face of the letters, you can always
bondo that flat without any problems as it will be thin.
Good luck!

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Eric R Snow

wrote:

The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters
painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the
'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was
toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep",
on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like
"Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I
might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a
body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might
get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Along with the sand bag and pitch suggestions I would add that a shot
bag might be better. The shot bag is a leather bag filled with lead
shot. The bag is made of three pieces. Two discs and a strip of
leather. The discs are sewn to the strip to make a round bag with
straight sides. But what may work better is to cut letters out of
sheet that is as thick as the depression is deep. The letters should
have the edges radiused on one side. Then, press the letters into the
back side of the sheetmetal while supporting the the other side with
polyurethane. See http://www.bonnydoonengineering.com/ for an
explanation of this process.
ERS
Lon

Jeepers proclaimed:
The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters
painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the
'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was
toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep",
on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like
"Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I
might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a
body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might
get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Do you have any local hobby groups that could help you with light
metal casting? Is quite easy to do with just the heat available
from a stove or barbeque. Can be done into sand or lost wax style
mold.

john johnson

"Jeepers" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jeepers,
Here is some flames being embossed into a panel, you
could try something similar.
http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/communit...9801 09747695

regards,

John

Jp Davis

"Jeepers" wrote in message
The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters
painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the
'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was
toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep",
on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like
"Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I
might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a
body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might
get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

--
Member AAAAAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity.

Make the letters from metal stock maybe 1/4" thick (or the approximate
"thickness" of the Joop) and pre-drill each letter. Then using short sheet
metal screws, attach from the inside of the Jeep. Just a thought. Have to
find some easy metal to work with and jig it, aluminum maybe?

Roger Shoaf

How about this. Talk to a water jet shop and have them cut you the Dooro
letters out of an appropriate thickness of steel. After these are cut,
grind a radius on them and weld or screw them to a thicker plate.

Sandwich a piece of soft body steel between your die and a chunk of rubber
and stick it in a big press. Make the blank a little bigger than you want
and then cut out the Spot you want next to the Jeep logo and position the
plate and cut it to fit your hole. Weld all around and grind flush.

You can probably go to a sign shop and have them cut some vinyl letters to
finish the job or cut a paint mask you can peel off.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Jeepers" wrote in message
The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters
painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the
'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was
toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep",
on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like
"Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I
might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a
body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might
get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

--
Member AAAAAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Beginner looking for source for sheet metal aluminun in Canada [email protected] Metalworking 7 December 5th 04 03:57 PM
Question shet metal repair wallster Metalworking 2 May 20th 04 04:08 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
newbie question: metal lathe - any use for woodworking Paul Jones Woodworking 6 February 12th 04 08:33 PM
Sheet Metal Richard Ferguson Metalworking 3 August 1st 03 05:19 PM