Eric R Snow

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:29:50 -0600, Jeepers
wrote:

The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters
painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the
'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was
toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep",
on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like
"Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I
might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a
body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might
get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Along with the sand bag and pitch suggestions I would add that a shot
bag might be better. The shot bag is a leather bag filled with lead
shot. The bag is made of three pieces. Two discs and a strip of
leather. The discs are sewn to the strip to make a round bag with
straight sides. But what may work better is to cut letters out of
sheet that is as thick as the depression is deep. The letters should
have the edges radiused on one side. Then, press the letters into the
back side of the sheetmetal while supporting the the other side with
polyurethane. See http://www.bonnydoonengineering.com/ for an
explanation of this process.
ERS