wallster

Default Question shet metal repair

"libra1958" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a question to the group, regarding the repair od sheet-metal, in
particular it the repair of a truck roof.
This roof is off another (similar model) which I cut-off, and is to fit on
top of my existing roof.

This roof has a formed gutter all around which needs repair in several
places because of rust.

That is the best way to repair this gutter.
Id it better to Mig weld or spot weld.

The steel is approx. 18 grade (1.8mm) thickness.

Any ideas on repairing this channel.

Also, I have cut the roof soo that it will fit on top of existing.

What is the best method to attach this roof panel.

Pop-rivet, Spot-weld, adhesives or Mig-weld.

Thanks for all help.

Never had to do a roof, but mig will most likely warp that steel. Spot or
tack weld i would think would be the best choice.
good luck,
walt

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:09:18 -0700, "libra1958"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Hello,

I have a question to the group, regarding the repair od sheet-metal, in
particular it the repair of a truck roof.
This roof is off another (similar model) which I cut-off, and is to fit on
top of my existing roof.

This roof has a formed gutter all around which needs repair in several
places because of rust.

That is the best way to repair this gutter.
Id it better to Mig weld or spot weld.

The steel is approx. 18 grade (1.8mm) thickness.

Any ideas on repairing this channel.

Also, I have cut the roof soo that it will fit on top of existing.

What is the best method to attach this roof panel.

Pop-rivet, Spot-weld, adhesives or Mig-weld.

"Cut, grind, mig, grind, lead, prime, and paint" were the steps the
guys used in the body shop I used to wrench for. The lead was used
both for a sealant and filler. (Bodyman's solder = 30% tin, 70% lead.)
They'd fill rusted out pieces with formed sheetmetal and lead over it.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----