Paul Jones

Default newbie question: metal lathe - any use for woodworking

Good day to you all,

I have an opportunity to buy an old 1960 metal lathe (boxford - The
"9" swing screwcutting lathe)20A 500V

My question is:

Can metal lathes be used for woodworking?

If yes what should I look out for?

Thanks

In hope

Paul Jones
ATP

Paul Jones wrote:
Good day to you all,

I have an opportunity to buy an old 1960 metal lathe (boxford - The
"9" swing screwcutting lathe)20A 500V

My question is:

Can metal lathes be used for woodworking?

If yes what should I look out for?

Southbend's booklet "How to Run a Lathe" says you can. I have not tried it
because I use mine for metal, I'm not sure the two different uses will
coexist peacefully.

John Crea

Where you going to find 500 Volt power supply???

Bottom line, is that to a degree, YES you can use a metal lathe for
some wood turning, but considering that you can buy a woodlath for
from under $500 to well over $2000, you would probably be better off
with a dedicated woodlath

John

On 12 Feb 2004 02:41:21 -0800, (Paul Jones) wrote:

Good day to you all,

I have an opportunity to buy an old 1960 metal lathe (boxford - The
"9" swing screwcutting lathe)20A 500V

My question is:

Can metal lathes be used for woodworking?

If yes what should I look out for?

Thanks

In hope

Paul Jones

House of tools lathe - comments Machineman Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 05:58 AM
3 Jaw Chuck for Craftsman 6" metal Lathe Ludwig P. Pietz Metalworking 1 April 19th 04 09:42 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
lathe wiring question... Nick Woodworking 2 September 20th 03 01:39 PM