Andy Dingley

Default newbie question: metal lathe - any use for woodworking

On 12 Feb 2004 09:25:13 -0800, (Bigpole) wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy an old 1960 metal lathe (boxford - The
"9" swing screwcutting lathe)20A 500V

Boxfords are pretty well known (UK anyway) as they were typical
equipment in schools. As a result, almost every S/H Boxford I've ever
seen has been in dire condition. They're a useful size of lathe and
I'd prefer one to a Myford 7 (much cheaper too !), but be careful with
what you're buying. Check bed wear especially. That said though, they
are well made and survived school abuse pretty well.

Can metal lathes be used for woodworking?

You can turn metal on them, and the ability to turn metal is often a
very useful part of woodworking.

You can also turn small wooden pieces on them. You'll need to produce
some sort of toolrest, which is pretty easy. They'll never make a
_good_ woodturning lathe, as they're too small and inconvenient to use
(slow to change speed, access and centre height are somewhat less than
ideal for hand turning).

If you want a lathe and it's a good deal, then I'd recommend it.
You'll never regret having a lathe to hand.

If you want a woodturning lathe though, look at what's available as
entry-level lathes. There are some good deals around.

--
Smert' spamionam