Jaimesummer

Default newbie question: metal lathe - any use for woodworking

(Paul Jones) wrote in message . com...
Good day to you all,

I have an opportunity to buy an old 1960 metal lathe (boxford - The
"9" swing screwcutting lathe)20A 500V

My question is:

Can metal lathes be used for woodworking?

If yes what should I look out for?

Thanks

In hope

Paul Jones

Paul,
Have made 50 pens on my ENCO metal lathe as well as other things.
The only problem is no standard tool rest. I can crudely shape the
wood by moving in x and y and then use sandpaper to smooth the curve.
It is really useful when you want a diameter to be constant over a
large distance (like a straight rolling pin) or want to precisely hit
a diameter or lateral distance. The slower speed is also not ideal,
but I smooth with sandpaper anyway.
jaime