Default Beginner looking for source for sheet metal aluminun in Canada

HI

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy aluminum sheet metal, suitable for
electronics chassis work, in the Montreal area? Or in Canada?

Custom cut to size would be good...

Any good sources to learn more about aluminum sheet metal? I bought some hobby
books but they are lacking...

Thanks for any pointers!

Perry Murlless

Well, they're not local to you but the do specialize in small order and
custom cuts:
http://www.onlinemetals.com

wrote in message

HI

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy aluminum sheet metal, suitable for
electronics chassis work, in the Montreal area? Or in Canada?

Custom cut to size would be good...

Any good sources to learn more about aluminum sheet metal? I bought some

hobby
books but they are lacking...

Thanks for any pointers!

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:37:28 GMT, machineman

HI

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy aluminum sheet metal, suitable for
electronics chassis work, in the Montreal area? Or in Canada?

Custom cut to size would be good...

Any good sources to learn more about aluminum sheet metal? I bought some hobby
books but they are lacking...

Thanks for any pointers!

Metal Supermarkets has stores in Ontario, not Quebec yet.
http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

You might also check with a local heating a ventilation sheet metal
company. They usually have all of the tools to do up things like chassis.

thanks!

Leigh Knudson

machineman wrote in message news:IC6rd.248671$9b.175940@edtnps84...
wrote:
HI

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy aluminum sheet metal, suitable for
electronics chassis work, in the Montreal area? Or in Canada?

Custom cut to size would be good...

Metal Supermarkets has stores in Ontario, not Quebec yet.
http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

You might also check with a local heating a ventilation sheet metal
company. They usually have all of the tools to do up things like chassis.

Macineman: You need to think about what you are writing before
replying. HVAC shops are hack shops. They get the job done, sure, but
+/- 1/16" is tight tolerances for them. They never work with aluminum.
Electronic cabinets take really tight tolerances and are generally
made of 5052-H32 because it is cheap and has good elongation. None of
this is an opinion. If the man wants to buy aluminum sheet why doesn't
he look in the Yellow Pages. That is what they are for. Leigh at
MarMachine
Ted Edwards

Perry Murlless wrote:

Well, they're not local to you but the do specialize in small order and
custom cuts:

Obviously you aren't aware of the Great Canadian Rip Off otherwise known
as UPS. Any shipment from the US to Canada attracts a special UPS
"brokerage" fee of at least $35.

Ted

Ken Davey

Ted Edwards wrote:
Perry Murlless wrote:

Well, they're not local to you but the do specialize in small order
and custom cuts:

Obviously you aren't aware of the Great Canadian Rip Off otherwise
known as UPS. Any shipment from the US to Canada attracts a special
UPS "brokerage" fee of at least $35.

Ted

Yup!
I ordered from Online Metals and UPS' 'shipping and handling' came to $81.00
Unfortunately the order was split into two separate shipments ($81.00 X 2 ).
I paid the first bill 'at the truck' but the second bill came in the mail.
As I am not at home it didn't get paid so I guess I am now on Online's ****
list as the second bill would be charged back to them. Sigh!
Regards.
Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM