Larry Jaques

Default Metal sourcing

Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

I got some motors in the mail yesterday and need either flanged plates
or 3-5" diameter faceplates for them (5/16" D and 3/8" round shafts.)
The need is to convert from rotary to reciprocating motion for 1-10
lbs @ 1-60 rpm. I can't think of the name for the rotating
ball/bushing used there so I can't Google it, either. sigh

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Tim Wescott

Larry Jaques wrote:

Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

I got some motors in the mail yesterday and need either flanged plates
or 3-5" diameter faceplates for them (5/16" D and 3/8" round shafts.)
The need is to convert from rotary to reciprocating motion for 1-10
lbs @ 1-60 rpm. I can't think of the name for the rotating
ball/bushing used there so I can't Google it, either. sigh

I schlep over to the local scrap steel yard and buy it by the pound. To
date I haven't had to buy anything new.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
machineman

Larry Jaques wrote:

Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

I got some motors in the mail yesterday and need either flanged plates
or 3-5" diameter faceplates for them (5/16" D and 3/8" round shafts.)
The need is to convert from rotary to reciprocating motion for 1-10
lbs @ 1-60 rpm. I can't think of the name for the rotating
ball/bushing used there so I can't Google it, either. sigh

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

the part you are thinking of is called a rod end. You can get them in
many forms and materials. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and do a
search on rod end to see the selection. I used several in my mirror
grinder http://www.jamescrombie.com/pics/assembled4.jpg
Keith Marshall

Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

I buy from the local scrap metal yard. They also stock new rod & bar stock,
channel and square & rectangular tubing.

I can't think of the name for the rotating
ball/bushing used there so I can't Google it, either. sigh

Heim joint maybe?

http://www.corvairunderground.com/govair/heim.htm

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

I got some motors in the mail yesterday and need either flanged plates
or 3-5" diameter faceplates for them (5/16" D and 3/8" round shafts.)
The need is to convert from rotary to reciprocating motion for 1-10
lbs @ 1-60 rpm. I can't think of the name for the rotating
ball/bushing used there so I can't Google it, either. sigh

I drank WHAT? +
http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:03:03 GMT, the inscrutable machineman
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

I got some motors in the mail yesterday and need either flanged plates
or 3-5" diameter faceplates for them (5/16" D and 3/8" round shafts.)
The need is to convert from rotary to reciprocating motion for 1-10
lbs @ 1-60 rpm. I can't think of the name for the rotating
ball/bushing used there so I can't Google it, either. sigh

the part you are thinking of is called a rod end. You can get them in
many forms and materials. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and do a
search on rod end to see the selection. I used several in my mirror
grinder http://www.jamescrombie.com/pics/assembled4.jpg

I finally gave up and hauled out the MCS, Enco, and McMaster catalogs,
all lebenty seben pounds of them. After half an hour on the couch,
thumbing through them, I found the pictures of rod ends and rod end
linkages. That's what I wanted! Pages 898-902 of Catalog #106.

Thanks to Keith, too, for the Heim joint reference. I had seen that
here and knew that was the same thing I needed but couldn't think of
the term.

The damper crank arm on page 903 might give me an adjustable throw,
too, unless I find inexpensive faceplates.

Now to find what I'd call a faceplate for a wood lathe. 5/16 and 3/8"
shaft collar with 4-6" plate.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

SteveB

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

I got some motors in the mail yesterday and need either flanged plates
or 3-5" diameter faceplates for them (5/16" D and 3/8" round shafts.)
The need is to convert from rotary to reciprocating motion for 1-10
lbs @ 1-60 rpm. I can't think of the name for the rotating
ball/bushing used there so I can't Google it, either. sigh

I am lucky enough to live near a metal supplier. They break and shear
metals. They have a "rem pile" and scrap drums. You can find all sorts of
pieces of aluminum and steel, and they charge by the pound. Really cheap
for those little projects.

Steve

Bernd

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

Larry,

In my area there is a store called "Metal Supermarkets" that I get metal
supplies from. You can check to see if there is a store in your area by
going to:

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Go to the "store finder" and see if there's one near you. They cut to
size and have no minimum.

Bernd

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:27:28 -0800, the inscrutable "SteveB"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

I got some motors in the mail yesterday and need either flanged plates
or 3-5" diameter faceplates for them (5/16" D and 3/8" round shafts.)
The need is to convert from rotary to reciprocating motion for 1-10
lbs @ 1-60 rpm. I can't think of the name for the rotating
ball/bushing used there so I can't Google it, either. sigh

I am lucky enough to live near a metal supplier. They break and shear
metals. They have a "rem pile" and scrap drums. You can find all sorts of
pieces of aluminum and steel, and they charge by the pound. Really cheap
for those little projects.

There's one here in town where I've dropped off old dryers, but I've
never priced any new or used metal from them. The scrap prices would
be lovely for most projects. I'll check with them on Tuesday. Thanks
for reminding me of the scrap price potential.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:31:51 GMT, the inscrutable "Bernd"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

Larry,

In my area there is a store called "Metal Supermarkets" that I get metal
supplies from. You can check to see if there is a store in your area by
going to:

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Go to the "store finder" and see if there's one near you. They cut to
size and have no minimum.

2 closest links are Portland at 250 miles away and Hayward, CA at 375
miles distant. I'll try the local scrap metal yard. It's a small
version of the larger store in Medford so I might even get them to
haul up small quantities of other scrap to this store.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Glenn

Hmm.. There are 2 scrap yards in White City but I don't know of any in
Medford?? White City Metal and Schnitzer Steel. White city metal is the
best for buying scrap metal and they have lots of nice sized rounds for
making faceplates and such. There are several suppliers of new steel in
Medford and white city.
I live in Medford so if I can be of assistance LMK
Glenn
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:31:51 GMT, the inscrutable "Bernd"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate
for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

Larry,

In my area there is a store called "Metal Supermarkets" that I get metal
supplies from. You can check to see if there is a store in your area by
going to:

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Go to the "store finder" and see if there's one near you. They cut to
size and have no minimum.

2 closest links are Portland at 250 miles away and Hayward, CA at 375
miles distant. I'll try the local scrap metal yard. It's a small
version of the larger store in Medford so I might even get them to
haul up small quantities of other scrap to this store.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:20:27 -0800, the inscrutable "Glenn"
spake:

Hmm.. There are 2 scrap yards in White City but I don't know of any in
Medford?? White City Metal and Schnitzer Steel. White city metal is the
best for buying scrap metal and they have lots of nice sized rounds for
making faceplates and such. There are several suppliers of new steel in
Medford and white city.
I live in Medford so if I can be of assistance LMK

Thanks, Glenn. I may take you up on that. I have 2 tons of welder
sitting out under my leanto on the North Forty but nothing to weld
a collar on a piece of steel. g My Lincoln welder project has
not been started in nearly 3 years now and I fear it may never be
done. I should trade it for a small, usable welding setup or two.
In the interim, I could use a few minutes on a welder.

I thought Schnitzer's larger facility was in Medford. The satellite is
here in GP. Looking in the Jello Pages (Hey, why didn't I think of
this sooner?) I see that Dixon is also in White City, and there's a GP
Steel here, too.

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----

Glenn

You are welcome to use my welders (here) Have a miller wirefeed 175 and
a Milller 350 AC/DC box with tig head. From what it sounds like you want to
do I think the MIG would be fine. I have several pieces of 1/2" steel plate
that could be turned into what it sounds like you are wanting?
My e-mail addy is real.
Glenn Neff
Medford, OR

[...]

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:17:52 -0800, the inscrutable "Glenn"
spake:

You are welcome to use my welders (here) Have a miller wirefeed 175 and
a Milller 350 AC/DC box with tig head. From what it sounds like you want to
do I think the MIG would be fine. I have several pieces of 1/2" steel plate
that could be turned into what it sounds like you are wanting?
My e-mail addy is real.
Glenn Neff
Medford, OR

Thanks, Glenn. I appreciate that and will be in touch.

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM