Gunner

Default New toy-pictures in drop box

An interesting little dohickey followed me home this week, from a shop
that is down sizing to smaller quarters. They evidently thought they
owed me a favor so forced this on me ( frankly I think they needed the
room..shrug)

I didnt argue too hard......

Its a Taiwanese horizontal/verticle kneemill, about 1/2 the size of a
BP. A beautiful size for the home shop and great for gunsmithing and
similar work. There are a few minor issues that Im resolving now,
mostly regarding the powerfeed and the effects of a maint department
that was, charitably...fast..or half fast.

Both spindles run rather well, though the vertical spindle only has
one speed due to some ethiopian engineering of relays...

Ive seen this miller badged with Yamazan and other names besides
Hales. Its very similar to the excellent old Rockwell hor/vert miller
though perhaps a bit beefier.

Anyone might have a wiring diagram for this critter? The
ah..modifications they did..sorta preclude doing much tracing... I may
wind up putting a VFD on the vert spindle, and be done with it.

It has 3 motors...one not shown in the photos..a rather large motor
behind the slide that runs the power feed, which now works..when it
stays in gear..wants to run in rapid...gear driven with a gear box...
and no sheer pin that I can find..not a good combination when there
are only roller topped limit switches, both of which were frozen
solid....

Both spindles are R8 and the bearings are in excellent shape and run
quietly.
Any suggestions on R8 Horizontal arbor? Or should I simply make up a
couple arbors and use the 1" endmill holder to hold them? (probably
what Ill do) Any suggestions on type of material to use for a 7/8",
1", and 1 1/4" arbor? Stressproof? At most, I believe they will be 12"
long.

It might be handy with a face mill as well.

At the least, it should make a handy drill press.

Someday when Im rich and famous, Ill stick a Shooting Star or similar
DRO on it, unless I can find a small used unit. This might be a good
place for some of those digital caliper type indicators on Ebay.
Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for any info you might have.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales3.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales.txt

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Gunner

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:08:25 -0800, Tom wrote:

Gunner wrote:

An interesting little dohickey followed me home this week, from a shop
that is down sizing to smaller quarters. They evidently thought they
owed me a favor so forced this on me ( frankly I think they needed the
room..shrug)

I didnt argue too hard......

Its a Taiwanese horizontal/verticle kneemill, about 1/2 the size of a
BP. A beautiful size for the home shop and great for gunsmithing and
similar work. There are a few minor issues that Im resolving now,
mostly regarding the powerfeed and the effects of a maint department
that was, charitably...fast..or half fast.

Both spindles run rather well, though the vertical spindle only has
one speed due to some ethiopian engineering of relays...

Gunner

Surely the vert spindle has a stepped pulley drive?

Tom

Yup..but it evidently has a two speed motor. Not according to the data
plate, but according to the Vertical high/low switch on the control
panel and a hand written note inside the control box telling how to
change the speed to high.

A VFD sounds better and better.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:02:37 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

An interesting little dohickey followed me home this week, from a shop
that is down sizing to smaller quarters. They evidently thought they
owed me a favor so forced this on me ( frankly I think they needed the
room..shrug)

I didnt argue too hard......

Hey, just my size and price! I should bring some window panes with
me when I come down. It looks like you could use a couple. I saved
half a dozen of the single-glazed panes when I went to duals. The
first one I put in made the room 10 degrees warmer within half an
hour, even with the bedroom door open. I was amazed.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Gunner

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:19:41 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:02:37 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

An interesting little dohickey followed me home this week, from a shop
that is down sizing to smaller quarters. They evidently thought they
owed me a favor so forced this on me ( frankly I think they needed the
room..shrug)

I didnt argue too hard......

Hey, just my size and price! I should bring some window panes with
me when I come down. It looks like you could use a couple. I saved
half a dozen of the single-glazed panes when I went to duals. The
first one I put in made the room 10 degrees warmer within half an
hour, even with the bedroom door open. I was amazed.

We had 70 mph winds during the week. Just to the left of the busted
windows, out of the frame, is a modest cactus garden. The wind blew
the top off a big one and it took out both windows. I was in LA when
it happened, so they boarded them up with some masonite I have that
oddly enough was the perfect size. Glass here at the local glass shop
is NOT cheap, so as customers pay me this month, Ill replace them.
Second time for replacing one of them. The wife was playing catch with
the dogs and bounced a soft ball off the floor and right out the
window.

I might make you a hell of a deal on a Gorton 016-A mill...but I think
this one will stay with me G

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

Excellent looking little machine. Looks a little like the Garvin I
picked up with an M head on it.

Think it is hard finding info on a Yamazan, try looking up Garvin !
Both seem to be oddballs, but do fill a unique space in the shop.

Why not hang some motors on it and CNC it in your spare time ?
Thats my plan for my Garvin, but the "spare time" has not showed up
yet.

Chris L

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:44:40 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

We had 70 mph winds during the week. Just to the left of the busted

So I read. Wild!

windows, out of the frame, is a modest cactus garden. The wind blew
the top off a big one and it took out both windows. I was in LA when
it happened, so they boarded them up with some masonite I have that
oddly enough was the perfect size. Glass here at the local glass shop
is NOT cheap, so as customers pay me this month, Ill replace them.
Second time for replacing one of them. The wife was playing catch with
the dogs and bounced a soft ball off the floor and right out the
window.

Oops!

I might make you a hell of a deal on a Gorton 016-A mill...but I think
this one will stay with me G

How big is that? Got any minis?

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Gunner

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:19:13 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I might make you a hell of a deal on a Gorton 016-A mill...but I think
this one will stay with me G

How big is that? Got any minis?

Define Minis... I may have access to a Burke horizontal....but Ill
hunt around for you.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:13:05 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

wrote:

I might make you a hell of a deal on a Gorton 016-A mill...but I think
this one will stay with me G

How big is that? Got any minis?

Define Minis... I may have access to a Burke horizontal....but Ill
hunt around for you.

Anything under about saaaay...900 pounds, eh? g When you saidyou
put me on your "hobby list" I thought you grokked that. (I see that
the 016-A is about double that.)

Sherline, Homier, Grizzly, HF, Taig, etc. would be ideal, but a
very small knee mill might not be out of the question. Low ducats,
rebuildable or running, if you must, a pristine specimen for free.
(Y'like how I built up to that one?) chortle

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen

Gunner

wrote:

I might make you a hell of a deal on a Gorton 016-A mill...but I think
this one will stay with me G

How big is that? Got any minis?

Define Minis... I may have access to a Burke horizontal....but Ill
hunt around for you.

Anything under about saaaay...900 pounds, eh? g When you saidyou
put me on your "hobby list" I thought you grokked that. (I see that
the 016-A is about double that.)

Sherline, Homier, Grizzly, HF, Taig, etc. would be ideal, but a
very small knee mill might not be out of the question. Low ducats,
rebuildable or running, if you must, a pristine specimen for free.
(Y'like how I built up to that one?) chortle

Ill hunt around. Its a hell of a lot easier for me to find Big Iron,
than tinsy stuff as there is little of the Barbie Playshop stuff in
use commercially.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 05:19:30 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

wrote:

Define Minis... I may have access to a Burke horizontal....but Ill
hunt around for you.

Anything under about saaaay...900 pounds, eh? g When you saidyou
put me on your "hobby list" I thought you grokked that. (I see that
the 016-A is about double that.)

Sherline, Homier, Grizzly, HF, Taig, etc. would be ideal, but a
very small knee mill might not be out of the question. Low ducats,
rebuildable or running, if you must, a pristine specimen for free.
(Y'like how I built up to that one?) chortle

Ill hunt around. Its a hell of a lot easier for me to find Big Iron,
than tinsy stuff as there is little of the Barbie Playshop stuff in
use commercially.

No judgement there, huh? bseg

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Gunner

wrote:

Define Minis... I may have access to a Burke horizontal....but Ill
hunt around for you.

Anything under about saaaay...900 pounds, eh? g When you saidyou
put me on your "hobby list" I thought you grokked that. (I see that
the 016-A is about double that.)

Sherline, Homier, Grizzly, HF, Taig, etc. would be ideal, but a
very small knee mill might not be out of the question. Low ducats,
rebuildable or running, if you must, a pristine specimen for free.
(Y'like how I built up to that one?) chortle

Ill hunt around. Its a hell of a lot easier for me to find Big Iron,
than tinsy stuff as there is little of the Barbie Playshop stuff in
use commercially.

No judgement there, huh? bseg

The statement is the result OF judgment. I dont do model work. If I
only made tinsy stuff, a small machine would be great. However..I just
sold my last one to a lurker here (Lorch) because I had no need for
it.
Now the smallest lathe I have is the Hardinge HLV-H, not counting a
nice little Katakura Turret Lathe which I also have nearly no use for.
Though it is fun to make air quick disconnect fittings with. Uses 4C
collets. When I finish rebuilding the Weiler 5c turret lathe..the
little one will go away and Ill get some dead presidents in return.

Need it? Its a cutey and does nice work. Ill even toss in some
tooling.

Gunner

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a
murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you
since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and
taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen
nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be
prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward
you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are
found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human
interaction." John Husvar
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:23:42 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

Ill hunt around. Its a hell of a lot easier for me to find Big Iron,
than tinsy stuff as there is little of the Barbie Playshop stuff in
use commercially.

No judgement there, huh? bseg

The statement is the result OF judgment. I dont do model work. If I
only made tinsy stuff, a small machine would be great. However..I just
sold my last one to a lurker here (Lorch) because I had no need for
it.

Shucks. I'm not into modeling, either, but most of the things I have
needed a mill and lathe for are small, such as a pivot for a bathtub
shower spray head, small brass fittings, bearing retainers and
flanges, etc.

Now the smallest lathe I have is the Hardinge HLV-H, not counting a
nice little Katakura Turret Lathe which I also have nearly no use for.
Though it is fun to make air quick disconnect fittings with. Uses 4C
collets. When I finish rebuilding the Weiler 5c turret lathe..the
little one will go away and Ill get some dead presidents in return.

Need it? Its a cutey and does nice work. Ill even toss in some
tooling.

Thanks but no. For a lathe, I definitely need only the small desktop
type. There isn't room here for a larger one. That's one major reason
I'm hesitant to come down there to go shopping. g

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Gunner

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 06:32:43 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Then I cant talk you into the Logan 14"? Or a very nice
Clausing/Colchester 17"? Sigh.

How about a cat(s) or dog(s)?

Gunner

[...]

Cliff

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:38:45 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Sun, 02 Jan 2005 10:09:08 GMT in
alt.machines.cnc :

Spare time???? Whats that?

What you had last summer - you know, between all the calls?

IE After Bush (AB).

Expect perhaps 300,000 more US jobs to be lost as Textile
imports from China increase.
Probably mostly in CA & NY ...... voted for Bush did they?
Or was that the Southern Republicans with their protectionism?
Many US candy makers already shut down & moved to Canada
for the cheaper (Cuban?) sugar ....

When he's done will the US actually have any production
capacity for anything left?

Can Gunner import his guns from China?

http://www.borderlandnews.com/storie...4-202423.shtml
[
Kristin Forbes, 34, the youngest member of the President's Council of
Economic Advisers, spoke Friday about solutions to lost manufacturing
jobs that have hit El Paso hard.

The best way to strengthen the nation's manufacturing sector is for
the United States to continue to expand trade with other nations,
including China, and to take other steps to improve the national
economy as a whole, including improved retraining programs for
laid-off workers, she said.
]

So more imports from China increases US jobs? Or would, IF
you could reeducate enough wingers?

How about reeducation camps?

Gunner should like this G.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agor...etration1.html

[
An Executive Order signed by then President BUSH in 1989 authorized
the Federal Emergency Management Agency [F.E.M.A.] to build 43 primary
camps [having a capacity of 35,000 to 45,000 prisoners EACH] and also
authorized hundreds of secondary facilities. It is interesting to note
that several of these facilities can accommodate 100,000 prisoners.
These facilities have been completed and many are already manned but
as yet contain no prisoners.
]
--
Cliff
clay

Gunner wrote:
[...]

I have the 3 axis verison of the same mill. Minus the power feed, and
the bridgeport type head. so the only thing left the same is the base
and x/y ways. It is badged a LuxMill. But I have seen the same thing as
a Jet a few years back. So whoever is making the base is still around.
The biggest issue is the y-travel if you put a normal 6" vise on it. The
brass acme nuts are really soft too, so you may find it has a lot of
backlash, or will soon.

clay
Gunner

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 06:45:37 GMT, clay wrote:

I have the 3 axis verison of the same mill. Minus the power feed, and
the bridgeport type head. so the only thing left the same is the base
and x/y ways. It is badged a LuxMill. But I have seen the same thing as
a Jet a few years back. So whoever is making the base is still around.
The biggest issue is the y-travel if you put a normal 6" vise on it. The
brass acme nuts are really soft too, so you may find it has a lot of
backlash, or will soon.

clay

Thanks for the alternate names. The z axis nuts, are split, but the
wierd thing is..the nut on the outside is missing most..most of the
threads except for 1.5 threads on the inside, which are almost
perfect. It looks like someone may have dropped it or hit the table
with something really hard and blew off the threads in the nut..but
one would assume it would take all of them, not just some. Im a bit
confused.

Currently the table is off as the ways were a bit munged up with
debris and some rust, and I need to replace all the plastic lines for
the Chinese copy of the Bejur oiler. Its been a long time since they
worked. Fortunately, the last owner didnt use the axis's much as they
were using an air powered feed unit held in the vise. But the nut
issue still bothers the hell out of me. The lead screw seems straight
with little wear, but the split nut really really needs replacement.

Ive got a very nice 4" vise that I swapped Stuff for and have been
sitting on for a year or more. It came with a swivel based Palmgren 4"
which happens to have an air assembly stuck in it. A quick attempt to
remove it showed its tightened in there really good. Ill have to bolt
the vise back down and reef on it.

If you notice in the pictures, the base is quite tall. It appears to
be a coolant tank, but I cannot find any sort of drain. There are two
pipe fittings on either side, and a valve sticks out of the port side
of the machine, but turning on the coolant switch does nothing. Its
possible that the coolant pump (if any) is in the column with the
horizontal motor. Ive yet to pull the back cover off that section yet.
It would be damned poor engineering if they didnt bother to put at the
least, a drain plug in the base.

Im taking it slow, as I need this like I need a third thumb, but its
so damned cute.....G

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a
murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you
since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and
taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen
nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be
prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward
you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are
found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human
interaction." John Husvar
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:20:58 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

wrote:

Thanks but no. For a lathe, I definitely need only the small desktop
type. There isn't room here for a larger one. That's one major reason
I'm hesitant to come down there to go shopping. g

Then I cant talk you into the Logan 14"? Or a very nice
Clausing/Colchester 17"? Sigh.

Maybe if you put it into your Shrinkerator(tm) and made it a 7...

How about a cat(s) or dog(s)?

No, I even got tired of feeding stray cats because they marked my
trees too often and I don't appreciate the smell of cat **** in the
morning as I get my paper. As to dogs, I'll pass, having enough stew
meat already, thanks. eg

-
In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare
------
http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development