Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gunner

Default New toy-pictures in drop box

An interesting little dohickey followed me home this week, from a shop
that is down sizing to smaller quarters. They evidently thought they
owed me a favor so forced this on me ( frankly I think they needed the
room..shrug)

I didnt argue too hard......

Its a Taiwanese horizontal/verticle kneemill, about 1/2 the size of a
BP. A beautiful size for the home shop and great for gunsmithing and
similar work. There are a few minor issues that Im resolving now,
mostly regarding the powerfeed and the effects of a maint department
that was, charitably...fast..or half fast.

Both spindles run rather well, though the vertical spindle only has
one speed due to some ethiopian engineering of relays...

Ive seen this miller badged with Yamazan and other names besides
Hales. Its very similar to the excellent old Rockwell hor/vert miller
though perhaps a bit beefier.

Anyone might have a wiring diagram for this critter? The
ah..modifications they did..sorta preclude doing much tracing... I may
wind up putting a VFD on the vert spindle, and be done with it.

It has 3 motors...one not shown in the photos..a rather large motor
behind the slide that runs the power feed, which now works..when it
stays in gear..wants to run in rapid...gear driven with a gear box...
and no sheer pin that I can find..not a good combination when there
are only roller topped limit switches, both of which were frozen
solid....

Both spindles are R8 and the bearings are in excellent shape and run
quietly.
Any suggestions on R8 Horizontal arbor? Or should I simply make up a
couple arbors and use the 1" endmill holder to hold them? (probably
what Ill do) Any suggestions on type of material to use for a 7/8",
1", and 1 1/4" arbor? Stressproof? At most, I believe they will be 12"
long.

It might be handy with a face mill as well.

At the least, it should make a handy drill press.

Someday when Im rich and famous, Ill stick a Shooting Star or similar
DRO on it, unless I can find a small used unit. This might be a good
place for some of those digital caliper type indicators on Ebay.
Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for any info you might have.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales3.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/hales.txt

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill