Default Fed up about cars ending up in yard because of driving too fast

Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
dont know what to do.

Jim Levie

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:35:27 -0800, stryped wrote:

Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding around
a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they drive
about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the road. I
am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I dont
know what to do.

In an ideal world you could get the local authorities to erect a barrier.
As an inducement to get them to act make sure that your concern over
the safety issues are in the public record. And then point out
(privately) that injuries resulting from a failure of the officals to
act on a clearly unsafe road condition/use would be grounds for a civil
suit. But failing in that you might be on safe legal grounds if the
barrier is located entirely within the property lines (and doesn't run
into zoning restrictions). You'd certainly want to consult with a lawyer
first w/respect to potential liability issues.

I doubt that 6x6's would be big enough if we are talking about speeds in
the 60'sh range. Something on the order of telephone poles sunk 6' deep
would seem more reasonable.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

I live in Kentucky.

What about when thye fly through the windshield on their sudden stop?

Jon Elson

Jim Levie wrote:

I doubt that 6x6's would be big enough if we are talking about speeds in
the 60'sh range. Something on the order of telephone poles sunk 6' deep
would seem more reasonable.

You don't actually have to stop the speeding vehicle on the spot. Just
absorb
enough enbergy so the ground will finish the job. How far back is the house
from the road? Some posts that partially break and partially are pulled out
of the ground on impact might be the best to absorb energy. Yes, you really
don't want the thing to be a death trap, but you ought to be able to protect
your family. If fences are not permitted in your area, you can just
plant some
trees. Even the little 6' trees you buy at the local nursery will offer
quite
a lot of resistance once they get their roots into the ground, and after
a couple
of years will be quite resistant to anything larger than a motorcycle
getting
past them.

As for liability, there's a guy a couple blocks from me who has this lean-to
think built out of stacked 2x4's around his mailbox. If somebody ever hit
it, it really looks like it could roll over practically anything smaller
than
a semi. He hasn't gotten cited that I know of, it has been there 15+ years
(with, I think, one complete rebuild due to weathering.)

Jon

Tom

While the insured beater car idea has merit, and is possibly a profitable
venture, I think it would be more fun to cause them a bit more damage than
they've caused you. Nothing extremely dangerous mind you, just bad enough
to be fun.

Consider a rock garden.
Do it up nicely with a base of polished river rock or something, maybe
some 6" stones around the border. Then, strategically placed within the
border in line with their most likely trajectory, some 12-15" stones or
concrete ornaments arranged in an obstacle course fashion.
Imagine the satisfaction you'll get each time you come home to find the
rock garden all knocked askew!! All you'll really have to do is re-rake
the river rock smooth and possibly reposition some of the larger rocks.
You might even get enough oil dumped into the mix to keep the weeds at
bay.

AND...........

Along the same lines as the insured road block, get someone to write you
an obscene bill for the building of the garden, and then collect an
equally obscene amount for re-construction from the insurance company of
the vehicle that occasionally becomes lodged in your rock garden.

Fun-Fun...........

Tom

wrote:

Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
dont know what to do.

In article ,
Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:

wrote:
Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

Where are you?
The technical answer is trivial - a really huge wall.
The legal answe may be more complex.

You don't need a huge wall, just some very short posts. Too short for
anyone to hit them, excapt with their transaxle.

This sounds like a good idea....

If I understand the situation right, your yard is about 6 inches lower than
the roadway and people are taking the turn too fast and sliding into the
yard... then driving away.

I assume that you have three goals he

1) Prevent cars from sliding off the road.

2) Stop errant cars from ending up in the living room.

3) Keep said errant cars from leaving the scene of the crime (personal
property damage / single vehicle accident)

1) This should be the realm of the local trafic engineer.
Reflectors, signs, rumble strips, speed humps... all should be well known
and effective. Of course, actually getting these in place could take an act
of god. Send polite letters documenting the situation and document the
replies. Send often. You may get somewhere and at the least, it may cover
you later.

2) I don't know if the cars just forget to turn entirely, or if they begin
the turn and physics takes over landing them in your yard. I will assume the
later. You are looking for a way to dissipate the energy of the car before
it gets too far. The barrier should not be a hazard to pedestrians or other
passers by and ideally, it should not cause injury to the occupants of the
errant vehicle.

3) Is a strange area... as it seems to be contrary to 2), but it may not be.

Ok, idea time...

Water filled plastic barrels in front of a stout wooden fence. Car hits
barrels, barrels rupture, water everywhere, car dumps a lot of energy (by
folding up the body work), probably takes out the fence, but doesn't likely
go very far after that. Works on the highways at off ramps. Of course, if
you live in a cold environment you may have to use antifreeze or the barrels
become an impeneterable barrier six months of the year. Perhaps add a dye to
the water to mark the offending vehicle.

Small "Water feature" near road. Six inches of water will slow a car down
quite a bit. Ever drive through a deep puddle? Same idea. Of course, once
again, in the winter it is a skating rink and into the house they go...

Bowling balls. Concrete bowling balls teathered to each other (about 3 or 4
neighbors). Keep the teathers burried under an inch of dirt or so so no one
will trip on them and place them about every 3 feet. Car comes off road, hits
balls (absorbing energy by denting car and trying to drag several of its
buddies along with it) probably high centering itself and unless it is a
large truck, they aren't driving back out. Nothing to impale the car or
driver, nothing to hurt pedestrians, replacable, repairable, and should stop
a car. If you don't like the look of the balls, plant bushes around them.

I don't know... just ideas...

-- Joe

--
Joseph M. Krzeszewski Mechanical Engineering and stuff
Jack of All Trades, Master of None... Yet

Old Nick

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:49:41 -0800, Winston
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Yeah. We have rather been here before!

Google Groups: Search on "Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve."

It ran 138 postings.

Good luck!

--Winston

Gunner

Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
dont know what to do.

Railroad track fence posts buried 36" deep with 2' sticking out with a
piece of 5/8 steel cable between them as a "fence"

Its not something they will drive away from.......

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Where would I find one of these guard rails I could purchase on my own?

The cars take the turn too fast I think. The speedlimit is 25 but they
go alot faster. One of the problesm is they slide from going too fast
after even a light rain because it is so slippery.

I like your idea about the fence and water but I would hate to have to
replace that fence every year.

I think it wouldbe ugly unless you cover it like you said. But if I
cover it would there be a legal problem. I mean the drive just sees a
hedge and "aims" his car for the hedge thinking it is safer?

Vaughn

wrote in message
ups.com...
I think it wouldbe ugly unless you cover it like you said. But if I
cover it would there be a legal problem. I mean the drive just sees a
hedge and "aims" his car for the hedge thinking it is safer?

Not if the hedge happens to be in your yard! Besides, the hedge would
actually cushion the impact for the car. Guard rail is made to deform and
absorb the energy of the car. As someone else mentioned, the poles also absorb
lots of the energy by being pulled out of the ground.
I used the stuff for years to stop cars from smashing my traffic signal
boxes and concrete poles. I had to replace each instalation every year or so
when it got hit, but that was much easier than replacing a traffic signal
control box. We never got sued, but we sure filed claims against lots of people
after they bent our guard rail.

I remember that we had no problem buying the stuff locally. If you can't
find it in the yellow pages, ask your local county Streets Department who their
vendor is.

From: http://projects.ch2m.com/coalcreek/d...icbarrier1.htm
Galvanized Guardrail
occur when an errant vehicle leaves the traveled way. Galvanized steel beam
guardrail provides a steel shiny appearance.

Approximate Cost:

$ 20 - 25 per Linear Foot

Advantages:

- Low maintenance and repair cost

- Choice in end terminals

Disadvantages:

- Some reflectivity

- Color of Guardrail sections may not be consistent.

- Does not blend into natural surroundings.

- Not pedestrian friendly.

- Pedestrian rail is needed for vertical drop protection.

Another information source:
http://www.big-o.com/catalog/constru...tr/c-guard.pdf