Default Fed up about cars ending up in yard because of driving too fast

Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
dont know what to do.

Ecnerwal

"Indestructable fences" are a good way to get sued.

Make a fuss and get a guardrail put up, sell your house and buy one in a
different location, or...

Dig out the yard 12-18" deep for a 10-20 foot strip near the road. Pile
this dirt into a berm on the house side of the dug-out area. Fill the
area with ball bearings. Place no trespassing signs, and charge the
drivers that end up stuck in the ball-bearing pit with trespassing.

Or, put a pond or marsh there, which is cheaper than ball bearings. If
you can get a nice rounded grade of pea stone that might work too, but
the usual stuff can't be depended upon to get the car good and stuck.

Emmo

Build a nice cedar fence. This will both hide the road from your house, and
give a visual obstacle to the drivers. Most drivers will avoid it where
now there is no consequence to cutting the corner.

If they do hit it, collect the insurance, and put the money into your kid's
college account. This could turn into a nice little nickel machine...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
dont know what to do.

Bob May

The 6x6 posts will just be sheared off to little avail. If you're on a
slope up, putting in a retaining wall of about 2' high will stop all but the
big trucks without any legal problems if you put a fence at the top of the
wall to keep things from falling off the wall. If you're level, there's
always a few large (4'-8' diameter) rocks that will provide a good splat
zone but you do want several to fill out other parts of the yard.
Brick fences will work only if they are reinforced as the bricks do tend to
break apart easily. The only thing the general fence does is to attempt to
show the driver where the road isn't.
Finally, there is always the steel barrier to slow down the drivers. You
might want to work with your neighbor to work the barrier all the way around
the turn.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:43:24 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

||Build a nice cedar fence. This will both hide the road from your house, and
||give a visual obstacle to the drivers. Most drivers will avoid it where
||now there is no consequence to cutting the corner.
||If they do hit it, collect the insurance, and put the money into your kid's
||college account. This could turn into a nice little nickel machine...

Might want something more substantial to make sure the car and driver hang
around to offer insurance information.

wrote in message
groups.com...
|| Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
|| around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
|| drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.
|| I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
|| department. I have written letters and attached photos.
|| I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
|| wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.
|| I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
|| road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!
|| I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
|| dont know what to do.

Texas Parts Guy

They told me unless there is a 6 foot or more drop off, they cant put a
guardrail up.

The problem is thye usually hit it when we are gone and they drive off.

The rode level is higher than where my house is.

Lane

wrote in message
oups.com...
They told me unless there is a 6 foot or more drop off, they cant put a
guardrail up.

Dig a 6ft trench?

Ace

In my area, it is pretty common to place large stones (rocks) which would
fit into a 1foot cube
about every 3-4 feet as landscaping. Doesn't keep peope from hitting them,
but they seem
to be a pretty good deterrent. If run over, serious damage is done to
underside of vehicle.

I guess the trick is avoid something "lethal".

Good luck!
wrote in message
oups.com...
Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
dont know what to do.

NoOne N Particular

You have seen posts about using large rocks. That is probably what I would
do, but use a little bit larger rock like maybe 24". That would give room
for the car to get lifted (hopefully they aren't going fast enough to
actually get airborn), or the rock to be pushed further down into the soil,
and still do quite a bit of damage to the car. Perhaps enough where it
wouldn't be driving off again.

As a backup plan, and to make sure the house was safe, I think I would sink
some 6-8" concrete filled steel pipes up close to the house. If they are
still coming after the car has gone over the large rocks, the pipes should
stop them.

Wayne

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
dont know what to do.

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show machineman
wrote back on Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:48:34 GMT
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

The rode level is higher than where my house is.

Steel punji sticks for them to impale the bottom of the car on :-)

Fun idea, as is the one with the anti-tank mines. Unfortunately, there
are so many killjoys out there, and far too many of them either work for
the government, or have fiends in low places (aka lawyers).

I have heard that a properly anchored chain link fence has good "crash
barrier" properties. Considering what happened when the acetylene tank
crashed into one, it might work for a car. [Tank fell over, knocked off
the valve, rocketed across the shop, through the wall, twenty five feet to
the chain link fence, was snagged by the chain link fence and pulled about
a hundred and fifty feet of it loose from the fence posts.]

The idea of a solid appearing fence might work as well, as it will
cause people to realize "The road turns ahead"). Put some reflectors on it
- about car headlight apart ...

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Jeff Wisnia
wrote back on Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:10:19 -0500 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:
Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
dont know what to do.

This isn't intended to be serious...

But, I just thought of a wide elastic rubber "guard rail" connected only
at its ends to two hefty pilings.

Cars would decellerate when they ran into and stretched out the
rubber, and then be launched back off the property, as though from a
giant sling shot.

Could make for some pretty funny videos.

Hmmm, could look around for Navy surplus aircraft arresting gear.
Couple of those would serve to "trap" a car quite nicely.

Or could hang a sign out front:

"Shyster, Flywheel and Shyster,
Attorneys at law.
No case too small
No judgement too large!"

--
pyotr filipivich.

I cant dig the state owned ditch out nay more can I?

Jeff Wisnia

pyotr filipivich wrote:

snipped

I have heard that a properly anchored chain link fence has good "crash
barrier" properties. Considering what happened when the acetylene tank
crashed into one, it might work for a car. [Tank fell over, knocked off
the valve, rocketed across the shop, through the wall, twenty five feet to
the chain link fence, was snagged by the chain link fence and pulled about
a hundred and fifty feet of it loose from the fence posts.]

I have been under the impression for a long time that valves used on
portable high pressure tanks have a definite designed in "weak point"
with an orifice below it small enough to limit gas flow to rates which
won't cause "rocketing." When impacted hard enough, the valve is
supposed to snap off beyond that orifice.

At least that's what I heard 40+ years ago about the "J" and "K" valves
we used on our Scuba tanks. Can someone straighten me out on this point?

'Course there's alsways some fool who will beat the most foolproof
systems man can think up. Lots of us used fire extinguisher bottles as
diving tanks in the early days of Scuba, they were rated for 1800 psi
and were a heck of a lot cheaper than "official" tanks. Worked just fine
if you used them correctly.

I still get shivers when I remember what happened to a guy in our diving
club. We had to use 3/4" to 1/2" NPT reducing bushings to adapt the 1/2"
threaded Scuba valves to the fire extinguisher bottles. Only this poor
guy didn't know the difference between materials and used a cast iron
plumbing bushing instead of a steel one. The threads sheared off the
bushing the first time he filled the tank. The valve blew out and
entered his head under his chin, killing him on the spot.

Sad story, but it sure increased my respect for the amount of energy in
compressed gasses. I think of that guy everytime I see a compressed gas
bottle standing up without a safety chain to keep it from falling.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Brian Lawson

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 05:18:59 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"

Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding
around a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they
drive about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the
road. I am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I
dont know what to do.

See if you can get a concrete barrier - those they use on highways - one chunk
or two as a deflection line.

Requesting those by e-mail is an urgent need and must be responded to.
Something might be done.

e-mail the county rep or city rep as the case is -
Around here, they have to reply by law if it is at all possible.
Sometimes it is by proxy, but the message is logged in.

Martin

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Well, here I am as the Devils Advocate again, as usual, arguing with
some of what's been said.

I'm sure that your first priority is to keep your family safe, and
then to avoid damage to your property, but I'd be a bit wary of
"forcing" the municipality to "do something", as you may not be very
pleased with what they do. How would you and the neighbours like to
have a nice grey concrete barrier 5 feet high for 200 feet along your
frontage? What would it do to the access to your driveway? How
would the neighbours like to have the "rumble strips" in front of
their house? That's the kind of thing that can happen if you attempt
to force the authorities into believing that a danger and risk exist.
Better for you to plant some really decently heavy and substantial low
evergreen shrubbery on the actual property line, maybe widening into
your yard along the latest tire tracks. Cuts down on the grass
cutting too.

Does the grass-wrecking occur at any time, or just nights, or what?
Do you think that there is a reason people "miss" the curve/corner?
Would better warning signs be useful?

A bit far-fetched and maybe expensive, but how about a radar gun, set
up on your property, to watch the zone, attached to a control for a
strobe beacon. Any vehicle travelling over the posted safe speed for
the curve would activate the strobe. You might even consider breaking
the law yourself by making it look like a cop cars bubble gum machine.
That gets the brakes on real quick!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

HaroldA102

DOWN THE ROAD a guy put out a radar
gun abd got aressted for pointing a gun at someone
NoOne N Particular

Or could hang a sign out front:

"Shyster, Flywheel and Shyster,
Attorneys at law.
No case too small
No judgement too large!"

--

Do this and you will have a line of people at your door 24x7

Wayne

Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter

In our case, the guy went through the arborvitae hedge (destroying
about 4) and was stopped (very luckily, he probably would have kept
driving into our livingroom) by the fact that it had been raining and
our front yard has poor drainage - he sank up to his axles in the
ground. So if it happened a lot (it doesn't this was just an
exceptionally skilled drunk) I would probably go with a similar mud
trap - or water feature. I think a good thick mud would absorb most of
the energy. Mythbusters made a quicksand tank - maybe that would work.

First time I've ever called the cops on a guy...

Gary Coffman

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 04:05:47 GMT, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Or could hang a sign out front:

"Shyster, Flywheel and Shyster,
Attorneys at law.
No case too small
No judgement too large!"

Forget the sign, hang an actual lawyer out front.

Gary

Gunner

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:07:36 -0500, Gary Coffman
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 04:05:47 GMT, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Or could hang a sign out front:

"Shyster, Flywheel and Shyster,
Attorneys at law.
No case too small
No judgement too large!"

Forget the sign, hang an actual lawyer out front.

Gary

I like it!

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism
Gunner

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:32:01 -0800, Felice Luftschein and Nicholas
Carter wrote:

In our case, the guy went through the arborvitae hedge (destroying
about 4) and was stopped (very luckily, he probably would have kept
driving into our livingroom) by the fact that it had been raining and
our front yard has poor drainage - he sank up to his axles in the
ground. So if it happened a lot (it doesn't this was just an
exceptionally skilled drunk) I would probably go with a similar mud
trap - or water feature. I think a good thick mud would absorb most of
the energy. Mythbusters made a quicksand tank - maybe that would work.

First time I've ever called the cops on a guy...

If you owned a backhoe and a shotgun, you could have avoided calling
the cops.

They say drunk drivers are really nice people, down deep.

Gunner
"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism
Nick Hull

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:

A bit far-fetched and maybe expensive, but how about a radar gun, set
up on your property, to watch the zone, attached to a control for a
strobe beacon. Any vehicle travelling over the posted safe speed for
the curve would activate the strobe. You might even consider breaking
the law yourself by making it look like a cop cars bubble gum machine.
That gets the brakes on real quick!

Actually I see the nucleus of a good idea here. How about getting a
contract from the city to raise revenue by operating a radar/camera
speed trap at that location. You just send the photo proof of speeding
to the city and they send out the fine and give you a cut.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "NoOne N Particular"
wrote back on Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:11:13 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

Or could hang a sign out front:

"Shyster, Flywheel and Shyster,
Attorneys at law.
No case too small
No judgement too large!"

--

Do this and you will have a line of people at your door 24x7

Well, there are drawbacks, but at least they will be walking,a nd not
driving up tot he door. :-)

Wayne

--
pyotr filipivich.

Jim McGill

Friend of my dad's lived at the bottom of a hill on a sharp corner and
people were always driving into his yard, aimed at his bedroom. He
looked into concrete barriers but discovered there are all sorts of
rules about artificial barriers. So he put the word out to everybody
that he'd take their big rocks (took 4 of us to get my dad's biggest one
into a pickup). He built a nice rock garden with BIG rocks (some the
size of small cars) on that end of his lot and the cars stopped coming
in. Made a hell of a noise once in a while, but nobody ever came over,
and, because it was "gardening material" not "an artificial barrier" he
was safe from lawyers. You better check this out in your area though.

Actually, the old Buick idea is a good one, as long as your local cops
don't try to ticket it for being abandoned.

Jim

Pete Bergstrom

wrote in message
oups.com...
They told me unless there is a 6 foot or more drop off, they cant put a
guardrail up.

Hows the erosion in your area?