Jim Levie

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:35:27 -0800, stryped wrote:

Any idea on what I can do about people driving too fast and sliding around
a curve landing in my front yard? The speedlimit is 35 but they drive
about 60. I got home to find huge ruts in my yard the other day.

I have talked to the county executive , judge madjestrate, highway
department. I have written letters and attached photos.

I was thinking of putting a fence up using 6x6 posts in concrete but
wondered if somehow someone would try to sue me if they got hurt.

I have a daughter and a son on the way and their bedroom faces the road. I
am scared to death someone is going to end up in my house!

I can attach pictures if that helps. I am just so fed up right now I dont
know what to do.

In an ideal world you could get the local authorities to erect a barrier.
As an inducement to get them to act make sure that your concern over
the safety issues are in the public record. And then point out
(privately) that injuries resulting from a failure of the officals to
act on a clearly unsafe road condition/use would be grounds for a civil
suit. But failing in that you might be on safe legal grounds if the
barrier is located entirely within the property lines (and doesn't run
into zoning restrictions). You'd certainly want to consult with a lawyer
first w/respect to potential liability issues.

I doubt that 6x6's would be big enough if we are talking about speeds in
the 60'sh range. Something on the order of telephone poles sunk 6' deep
would seem more reasonable.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.