Ivan Vegvary

Default Sewing machine oil (metal content)

I need to fill the bottom of my Juki sewing machine with oil (approx. 1
pint). Need it today (holiday) because my daughter is leaving for college
and I promised her that I would make a slip cover for her club chair.
Obviously, holiday and everybody is closed. Can I use the "way" oil that I
use on my milling machine and lathe (required metal content). Could I use
the "way" oil and then replace it later?

Is there anything special about sewing machine oil? Local Ace is open but I
don't want to buy 20 small tins of "3-in-1" oil.

Fast advice appreciated. Thank you!!

Ivan Vegvary

Robert Nichols

:
:Is there anything special about sewing machine oil? Local Ace is open but I
:don't want to buy 20 small tins of "3-in-1" oil.

Sewing machine oil is usually a vegetable-based light colored oil so
that any small amounts that get on the fabric won't leave a permanent
mark.

--
Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:46:08 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Is there anything special about sewing machine oil?

Yes. Use the right stuff. Maybe if you have some gyroscope oil, or
aircraft insturment oil.

3-in-1 is just _asking_ for trouble. It's too thick to start with,
then it gets worse with age and oxidation.
--
Smert' spamionam
Ivan Vegvary

Thanks for all the above advice.
I did happened to have a gallon of spindle oil, so I used some of that.
Will change when stores open tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I need to fill the bottom of my Juki sewing machine with oil (approx. 1
pint). Need it today (holiday) because my daughter is leaving for college
and I promised her that I would make a slip cover for her club chair.
Obviously, holiday and everybody is closed. Can I use the "way" oil that

use on my milling machine and lathe (required metal content). Could I use
the "way" oil and then replace it later?

Is there anything special about sewing machine oil? Local Ace is open but

don't want to buy 20 small tins of "3-in-1" oil.

Fast advice appreciated. Thank you!!

Ivan Vegvary

jim rozen

In article AU4%c.2878$Q44.1498@trnddc09, Ivan Vegvary says...

I need to fill the bottom of my Juki sewing machine with oil (approx. 1
pint). Need it today (holiday) because my daughter is leaving for college
and I promised her that I would make a slip cover for her club chair.
Obviously, holiday and everybody is closed. Can I use the "way" oil that I
use on my milling machine and lathe (required metal content). Could I use
the "way" oil and then replace it later?

As you've correctly surmised, way oil is too viscous for this
application. FWIW Ms. Mulligan's singer featherweight gets lubed
with 5wt ATF on a regular basis. This does not impair the
apparent quality of the quilts produced.

Jim

please reply to:
Jack

Hi Guys,
I don't know about Oil in the USA but from an old retired Sewing Machine
Mechanic in New Zealand we always used "Mobil DTE light" I would think you
would have something similar. Any good "Light" Hydraulic oil
would do.
Jack
[...]

Don Foreman

Mary also quilts with a featherweight. Quilters do seem to love that
machine. Fitch has two of 'em.

Dr. Willy, the itinerant pretty-good sewingmachine repair and tuneup
guy, uses Tri-Flo -- in a little squeezebottle with a very finebore
tube rather than the spraycan. He does seem to know what he's doing,
surely knows far more than I do about sewing machines. He visits a
nearby fabric shop every other Thursday on his route. Other than
routine cleaning and lubrication, we entrust the care and tuning of
Mary's featherweights and 301's to Dr. Willy.

On 6 Sep 2004 20:12:03 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article AU4%c.2878$Q44.1498@trnddc09, Ivan Vegvary says...

I need to fill the bottom of my Juki sewing machine with oil (approx. 1
pint). Need it today (holiday) because my daughter is leaving for college
and I promised her that I would make a slip cover for her club chair.
Obviously, holiday and everybody is closed. Can I use the "way" oil that I
use on my milling machine and lathe (required metal content). Could I use
the "way" oil and then replace it later?

As you've correctly surmised, way oil is too viscous for this
application. FWIW Ms. Mulligan's singer featherweight gets lubed
with 5wt ATF on a regular basis. This does not impair the
apparent quality of the quilts produced.

Jim

jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

Mary also quilts with a featherweight. Quilters do seem to love that
machine. Fitch has two of 'em.

Dr. Willy, the itinerant pretty-good sewingmachine repair and tuneup
guy, uses Tri-Flo -- in a little squeezebottle with a very finebore
tube rather than the spraycan. He does seem to know what he's doing,
surely knows far more than I do about sewing machines. He visits a
nearby fabric shop every other Thursday on his route. Other than
routine cleaning and lubrication, we entrust the care and tuning of
Mary's featherweights and 301's to Dr. Willy.

I use the 5wt ATF in a glass hypodermic syringe to lube
those machines. It's a great way to get that 'just one
drop' that's required in some spots. Plastic syringes
degrade and the plungers lock up on them after a while
being exposed to ATF though.

Jim

please reply to:

Robert Swinney

Check with a local sewing or fabric supply place (dry goods, maybe where the
ladies go for sewing stuff). Most of them, in the U.S. anyway, carry sewing
machine oil, labeled as such.

Bob Swinney
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I need to fill the bottom of my Juki sewing machine with oil (approx. 1
pint). Need it today (holiday) because my daughter is leaving for college
and I promised her that I would make a slip cover for her club chair.
Obviously, holiday and everybody is closed. Can I use the "way" oil that

use on my milling machine and lathe (required metal content). Could I use
the "way" oil and then replace it later?

Is there anything special about sewing machine oil? Local Ace is open but

don't want to buy 20 small tins of "3-in-1" oil.

Fast advice appreciated. Thank you!!

Ivan Vegvary

Ted Edwards

jim rozen wrote:

I use the 5wt ATF in a glass hypodermic syringe to lube
those machines. It's a great way to get that 'just one
drop' that's required in some spots. Plastic syringes
degrade and the plungers lock up on them after a while
being exposed to ATF though.

Mineral oil, as sold in pharmacies, is water clear and a good lube.
There are two grades, light for body rubs, and heavy, for a laxative. I
found mixing them 50:50 gives a nice viscosity for a quenching oil while
the light (in a plastic syringe) is a good light instrument oil. If you
want a corrosion inhibiter additive as well then try CRC 3-36.

Ted

Charles A. Sherwood

If you
want a corrosion inhibiter additive as well then try CRC 3-36.

I sprayed 3-36 on a couple machines. It tends to dry to a tacky
state. Not what I would want on a sewing machine.

Ned Simmons

In article , cas@w-
sherwood.ih.lucent.com says...
If you
want a corrosion inhibiter additive as well then try CRC 3-36.

I sprayed 3-36 on a couple machines. It tends to dry to a tacky
state. Not what I would want on a sewing machine.

I've noticed the same thing, not necessarily a bad thing
for a protective coating, but I wouldn't use it as a sewing
machine lube either.

I once left a few small oilstones in a pool of 3-36 and it
congealed into a sort of waxy custard as it evaporated.

Ned Simmons
jim rozen

In article , Ned Simmons
says...

I once left a few small oilstones in a pool of 3-36 and it
congealed into a sort of waxy custard as it evaporated.

ATF. High detergent, non-gumming. Available in handy
one quart containers at your local supermarket.

Jim

please reply to: