Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 15th 18, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,403
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!

303 Stainless Doesn't Work Harden!!! ... or does it???

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...ar-trim.68771/

LOL. I give up.



  #2   Report Post  
Old April 15th 18, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 12,505
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 15:16:49 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

303 Stainless Doesn't Work Harden!!! ... or does it???

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...ar-trim.68771/

LOL. I give up.


303 does work-harden, like other austenitic grades. Although the
sulphur content makes it relatively free-machining, it will still
harden up like a s.o.b. if your tools are not sharp.

I guess you know not to try to weld it.

--
Ed Huntress
  #3   Report Post  
Old April 15th 18, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,403
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!


On 4/14/2018 4:41 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 15:16:49 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

303 Stainless Doesn't Work Harden!!! ... or does it???


https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...ar-trim.68771/

LOL. I give up.


303 does work-harden, like other austenitic grades. Although the
sulphur content makes it relatively free-machining, it will still
harden up like a s.o.b. if your tools are not sharp.

I guess you know not to try to weld it.



Yeah. Maybe outside of my skill set, but when I sought MFG sources to
back up my claims that it does work harden I discovered that it is
reported to be weldable, but difficult.

This is from the Penn Stainless website:

Welding Characteristics
* Not generally recommended, but may be welded with some difficulty
* May be welded with Alloy 310 electrodes
* Should be annealed after welding to re-dissolve precipitated carbides

I won't be trying it any time soon.

************

DANG-IT! I've been using Thunderbird for a couple months now and I
still keep hitting the reply button in Usenet groups instead of the
follow up button.
  #4   Report Post  
Old April 15th 18, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 12,505
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 17:06:30 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:


On 4/14/2018 4:41 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 15:16:49 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

303 Stainless Doesn't Work Harden!!! ... or does it???


https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...ar-trim.68771/

LOL. I give up.


303 does work-harden, like other austenitic grades. Although the
sulphur content makes it relatively free-machining, it will still
harden up like a s.o.b. if your tools are not sharp.

I guess you know not to try to weld it.



Yeah. Maybe outside of my skill set, but when I sought MFG sources to
back up my claims that it does work harden I discovered that it is
reported to be weldable, but difficult.

This is from the Penn Stainless website:

Welding Characteristics
* Not generally recommended, but may be welded with some difficulty
* May be welded with Alloy 310 electrodes
* Should be annealed after welding to re-dissolve precipitated carbides

I won't be trying it any time soon.

************


Me either. When I see something like that (2024 aluminum, for example)
I decide then and there that I'll leave it to the experts if I ever
have to do it.


DANG-IT! I've been using Thunderbird for a couple months now and I
still keep hitting the reply button in Usenet groups instead of the
follow up button.


If you did that here, it went off into cyberspace. g That's not my
real email address.

--
Ed Huntress
  #5   Report Post  
Old April 15th 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2018
Posts: 61
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:28:38 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
Also, since I turned 70 today, I'm expecting it to start going away
soon. So far, I don't detect any substantial differences. But it must
be coming.

Keep that in mind if I respond to technical questions in the future.
g


Catch-22... I don't think _WE_ will be the one to notice the
difference ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b



  #6   Report Post  
Old April 15th 18, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 12,505
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:52:55 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:28:38 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
Also, since I turned 70 today, I'm expecting it to start going away
soon. So far, I don't detect any substantial differences. But it must
be coming.

Keep that in mind if I respond to technical questions in the future.
g


Catch-22... I don't think _WE_ will be the one to notice the
difference ;-)


You're saying we'll be going down together. That's comforting. g

--
Ed Huntress
  #7   Report Post  
Old April 16th 18, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,544
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!

On 2018-04-15, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:40:56 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:


[ ... ]

* Happy Birthday Ed !


Hey, thanks, Terry! My first Happy Birthday today came from Allstate
Insutance Co. Then came one from Experion. Then came my wife. g

My birthday is easy to remember, too. It's the day the Titanic sank.
And it's Income Tax Day.


FWIW -- I've *never* remembered the day the Titanic sank (nor
wanted to do so), and I remember back when the income tax day was "the
Ides of March", not April, so don't depend on that, either. :-)

It doesn't do much for the mood of the well-wishers, but they don't
often forget it. d8-)


Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---
  #8   Report Post  
Old April 16th 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 12,505
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!

On 16 Apr 2018 00:29:59 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2018-04-15, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:40:56 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:


[ ... ]

* Happy Birthday Ed !


Hey, thanks, Terry! My first Happy Birthday today came from Allstate
Insutance Co. Then came one from Experion. Then came my wife. g

My birthday is easy to remember, too. It's the day the Titanic sank.
And it's Income Tax Day.


FWIW -- I've *never* remembered the day the Titanic sank (nor
wanted to do so), and I remember back when the income tax day was "the
Ides of March", not April, so don't depend on that, either. :-)


Well, see, that's why older people don't remember. Young people
remember, as in, "Oh ****, it's income tax day. And that means it's
Ed's birthday. ****." d8-)

The best thing about it is that I never have to buy a fishing license
again! Not even a trout stamp!

--
Ed Huntress



It doesn't do much for the mood of the well-wishers, but they don't
often forget it. d8-)


Enjoy,
DoN.

  #9   Report Post  
Old April 16th 18, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,779
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!

On 4/15/2018 7:54 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On 16 Apr 2018 00:29:59 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2018-04-15, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:40:56 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

[ ... ]

* Happy Birthday Ed !
Hey, thanks, Terry! My first Happy Birthday today came from Allstate
Insutance Co. Then came one from Experion. Then came my wife. g

My birthday is easy to remember, too. It's the day the Titanic sank.
And it's Income Tax Day.

FWIW -- I've *never* remembered the day the Titanic sank (nor
wanted to do so), and I remember back when the income tax day was "the
Ides of March", not April, so don't depend on that, either. :-)

Well, see, that's why older people don't remember. Young people
remember, as in, "Oh ****, it's income tax day. And that means it's
Ed's birthday. ****." d8-)

The best thing about it is that I never have to buy a fishing license
again! Not even a trout stamp!

* We get that at 65 here in Arkansas . I got mine (hunting and fishing)
, but no trout stamp - I need to fix that , because it's required in
many waters whether I'm after trout or not . If they're there , you need
the stamp .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown

  #10   Report Post  
Old April 16th 18, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 12,505
Default 303 DOESN'T WORK HARDEN !!!

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 20:37:51 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 4/15/2018 7:54 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On 16 Apr 2018 00:29:59 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2018-04-15, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:40:56 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:
[ ... ]

* Happy Birthday Ed !
Hey, thanks, Terry! My first Happy Birthday today came from Allstate
Insutance Co. Then came one from Experion. Then came my wife. g

My birthday is easy to remember, too. It's the day the Titanic sank.
And it's Income Tax Day.
FWIW -- I've *never* remembered the day the Titanic sank (nor
wanted to do so), and I remember back when the income tax day was "the
Ides of March", not April, so don't depend on that, either. :-)

Well, see, that's why older people don't remember. Young people
remember, as in, "Oh ****, it's income tax day. And that means it's
Ed's birthday. ****." d8-)

The best thing about it is that I never have to buy a fishing license
again! Not even a trout stamp!

* We get that at 65 here in Arkansas . I got mine (hunting and fishing)
, but no trout stamp - I need to fix that , because it's required in
many waters whether I'm after trout or not . If they're there , you need
the stamp .


Yeah, that's the same here (the no-license age, though, is 70). Do you
have wild brook trout in the mountains there, or are they stocked?

--
Ed Huntress


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need wiring diagram/schematic for NuTone IM-303 Intercom Master Unit jiveturkey Home Repair 2 May 6th 11 09:14 PM
Source for 10mm 303 Stainless Steel rod stock? Mike Haaland Metalworking 5 June 17th 05 08:06 AM
Jarvis 303 Tapping head collet sizing Steve Peterson Metalworking 2 August 1st 04 04:14 AM
Q: Deep Etching 303 Stainless Galileo Metalworking 7 February 3rd 04 12:47 AM
is Type 303 stainless steel the right material for a burnisher? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 12 November 20th 03 03:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017