Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Precision" Pin Vise

Are there any pin vises suitable for CNC drilling at high speeds for micro
drills. A high quality high precision pin vise.

I know. I know. Sounds like an oxy moron. I think if I can find a pin
vise that will actually hold the bits straight, and has low enough runout,
it will be possible with correct speed and feed calculations.

I bought two mid price pin vises from two different sounces, and
unfortunately neither holds a drill bit particularly straight.

In the mean time I ordered some carbide micro drills in the sizes I need,
but because of their DOC capabilities, I'll need to back drill the part.
Oh, joy. A secondary setup for a part what fun. LOL.

FYI: Did some tests with what I had and found HSM Adviser wanted to feed
way to fast. As a check I plugged the same numbers into ME Consultant, and
it indicated less than half the feed rate of HSM. The HSM numbers flexed
and broken drill bits very quickly. Haven't retried yet with the ME
numbers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 10:00:12 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
Are there any pin vises suitable for CNC drilling at high speeds for micro
drills. A high quality high precision pin vise.

I think (in printed circuit board drilling) the usual scheme is to use a collet
(0.125") and a suitable shank size on the microdrill. So, does a collet
chuck work for you? I'm dubious that a 'pin vise' is going to be well
enough balanced to run at the high RPMs a microdrill calls for.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 2:44:59 PM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 10:00:12 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
Are there any pin vises suitable for CNC drilling at high speeds for micro
drills. A high quality high precision pin vise.

I think (in printed circuit board drilling) the usual scheme is to use a collet
(0.125") and a suitable shank size on the microdrill. So, does a collet
chuck work for you? I'm dubious that a 'pin vise' is going to be well
enough balanced to run at the high RPMs a microdrill calls for.

And, while those solid carbide drills will break if you even look at them too hard, many people (myself included) have had good success running them in dremel tools in dremel drill presses. Though I never measured it, that makes me think that the runout of the dremel and its collets is pretty good.

If you don't want to cobble up a dremel tool holder for your mill, maybe you could sacrifice a dremel tool and use its shaft in place of your pin vice?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 11:44:55 -0800 (PST)
whit3rd wrote:

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 10:00:12 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
Are there any pin vises suitable for CNC drilling at high speeds for micro
drills. A high quality high precision pin vise.

I think (in printed circuit board drilling) the usual scheme is to use a collet
(0.125") and a suitable shank size on the microdrill. So, does a collet
chuck work for you? I'm dubious that a 'pin vise' is going to be well
enough balanced to run at the high RPMs a microdrill calls for.

If he is looking for an small adjustable chuck Dremel has one that
might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-4486-Mu...dp/B0000302ZV/

Obviously made for high RPM but who knows on runout... Only ~$9
though.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:

[...]

I've always used these drills in collets. I do have one of the little chucks and it's pretty good, but I don't know that it's good enough.

There's got to be a bunch of busted dremel tools out there - bad bearings, bad motors, bad speed controls. Ought to be able to find one super cheap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Do you have a Morse or other taper in the drilling machine ?
if so get a high quality collet holder and double angle insert in 1/8 or
whatever the actual diameter is.

The big question is the drilling machine has bearings that will keep the
drill stable at speed ?

If you don't have a taper in the drilling machine - they make holders
with round shafts.

If you get a round shaft with a flat, that flat aligns with a hole in
the chuck if held that way or not on a jaw.

Martin

On 3/2/2016 11:59 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/2/2016 8:43 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
[...]

I'd use HSS bits on this. Maybe Cobalt? I'll bet they last longer than the
carbide bits.

FWIW I read in The Machinery Handbook that the TIR of small high speed bits
should be less that 1/100 of the bit diameter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Pin vises are hand held tools.

A pin CHUCK on the other hand is designed to hold tiny bits and be spun
under power.

Like these.
http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Sharpe-5.../dp/B001BY3TBQ

http://www.groz-tools.com/index.cfm?...t&ProductID=99

I have had the B&S set for a long time, they run very true.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 1:00:12 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I've got a No. 0 Jacobs chuck that I use for small drills. Is that still
too big?

George H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
Do you have a Morse or other taper in the drilling machine ?
if so get a high quality collet holder and double angle insert in 1/8 or
whatever the actual diameter is.

This machine has an ER11 spindle nose. I would just get ER11 collets for
each drill size, but anything under 1/8" is pretty much impossible to get
out of the nut again. Heck, pretty darn impossible to get into the nut.
The 1/8" I use everyday hasn't been out of the nut since I installed it.
I'm just glad I had spare collet closer nuts on hand when I discovered it.

The big question is the drilling machine has bearings that will keep the
drill stable at speed ?

I spin it at 24K everyday with endmills as small as .026. I figured 10-12k
would be a good starting point for these tiny drills if I can get the feed
right. Torque drops effectively to about zero on this spindle around 8K.

If you don't have a taper in the drilling machine - they make holders with
round shafts.

I was actually looking for one, but so for those I have purchased have been
pretty much garbage. Nowhere near concentric enough. I thought a pin vise
might do the trick, but even if you get the drill engaged with all 4 points
you can see its not straight on those I have tried so far. They tend to be
slightly better with largers bits in the 61-70 ranges, but under 70 they are
crap.

If you get a round shaft with a flat, that flat aligns with a hole in
the chuck if held that way or not on a jaw.

Martin

This application is for venting features in a mold that can not vent to the
parting line. Since its a very soft plastic I plan to drill vent the
features (before cutting the cavity) and blow the holes out with air after
each injection. I can back drill for clearance to the back side of the
plates for a prototype, but if I am successful and wind up producing these
in any quantity the extra setup to do that cleanly will add substantially to
the time and cost.

Carbide 1/8" shank drills will only take me down to a depth max of about
3/8". Less on smaller bits. The plates are 1/2" thick to accomodate the
standard 5/8" injector nozzle for this type application. (1/2+1/2).

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:nb9sg7$o0n$1
@dont-email.me:

Torque drops effectively to about zero on this spindle around 8K.

Yep, but inertia plays an important role in drilling those little holes!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 9:36:02 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:

This machine has an ER11 spindle nose. I would just get ER11 collets for
each drill size, but anything under 1/8" is pretty much impossible

This application is for venting features in a mold...

Carbide 1/8" shank drills will only take me down to a depth max of about
3/8". Less on smaller bits. The plates are 1/2" thick

But you indicated this was for NC machining? So, can you pre-drill 0.250"
deep with a 0.130" diameter bit, then sink the microdrill the rest
of the way? I foresee some chip clearance issues still, but pecking
might work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/3/2016 8:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

I have a Doall drill that uses a No. 0 Jacobs chuck. Runs 0-20,000 or
0-30,000 RPM. No noticeable runout and doesn't break bits. Have not used
it on really small bits, but the chuck does completely close, so bits
size 80 or so should work.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 3:32:40 PM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 9:36:02 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:

This machine has an ER11 spindle nose. I would just get ER11 collets for
each drill size, but anything under 1/8" is pretty much impossible

This application is for venting features in a mold...

Carbide 1/8" shank drills will only take me down to a depth max of about
3/8". Less on smaller bits. The plates are 1/2" thick

But you indicated this was for NC machining? So, can you pre-drill 0.250"
deep with a 0.130" diameter bit, then sink the microdrill the rest
of the way? I foresee some chip clearance issues still, but pecking
might work.

Great idea, with some changes for drill bits you can actually buy. With a drill such as http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/71465157 you could drill .130 dia .320 deep, hold .980 of the bit's shank in the collet and drill the remaining .180 and still have .010 clearance between the collet and the work, and .010 of flutes left over.

Probably better to drill the shank clearance holes as deep as possible, minimizing the depth of the tiny hole. There is a LOT of shank available (1.31") on these drills.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I did look up the Jacobs 0 chuck but couldn't confirm it would work
under your conditions, and it's expensive. The minimum drill shank
size is 0.0135".
http://www.jacobschuck.com/keyed-chucks
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-02, Bob La Londe wrote:
Are there any pin vises suitable for CNC drilling at high speeds for micro
drills. A high quality high precision pin vise.

I know. I know. Sounds like an oxy moron. I think if I can find a pin
vise that will actually hold the bits straight, and has low enough runout,
it will be possible with correct speed and feed calculations.

Pin vises which I have seen typically have knurled shafts, which
makes it more difficult to mount them truly on center.

I bought two mid price pin vises from two different sounces, and
unfortunately neither holds a drill bit particularly straight.

What *I* would use is one of the smallest Albrecht drill chucks.
I've found the 0-1/8" ones to work well down to the smallest number
drills that I have (#80), both in a Cameron Precision sensitive drill
press, and in the tailstock of an Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe.

From a search for Albrecht chucks, I find this description;

The Albrecht 70020 C30-J0 Classic Keyless Drill Chuck has a 0.015" to 1/8"

This is the one with a J0 taper.

There is also a smaller one -- 15-J0 -- maximum capacity of
1/16"

Both are small enough to handle rather elevated RPMs.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 3:32:40 PM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 9:36:02 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:

This machine has an ER11 spindle nose. I would just get ER11 collets
for
each drill size, but anything under 1/8" is pretty much impossible

This application is for venting features in a mold...

Carbide 1/8" shank drills will only take me down to a depth max of about
3/8". Less on smaller bits. The plates are 1/2" thick

But you indicated this was for NC machining? So, can you pre-drill 0.250"
deep with a 0.130" diameter bit, then sink the microdrill the rest
of the way? I foresee some chip clearance issues still, but pecking
might work.

I had thought of back drilling he mold, and then flipping the plate to front
drill the vents before cutting the cavity, but I suppose I could back drill
both the clearance hole and the vent hole. I still have to do two setups
for every plate, but I guess if I plan for it I can make that a little less
tedious to index.

Great idea, with some changes for drill bits you can actually buy. With a
drill such as
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/71465157 you could drill .130 dia
.320 deep, hold .980 of the bit's shank in the collet and drill the
remaining .180 and still have .010 clearance between the collet and the
work, and .010 of flutes left over.

Probably better to drill the shank clearance holes as deep as possible,
minimizing the depth of the tiny hole. There is a LOT of shank available
(1.31") on these drills.

Now that I think of it even on the 1/8 shank micro drills most the have
enough extra shank in front of the depth collar. If I gotta back drill it
anyway, might as well do it all at once.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2016-03-02, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

From a search for Albrecht chucks, I find this description;

The Albrecht 70020 C30-J0 Classic Keyless Drill Chuck has a 0.015" to 1/8"

This is the one with a J0 taper.

There is also a smaller one -- 15-J0 -- maximum capacity of
1/16"

Both are small enough to handle rather elevated RPMs.

Enjoy,
DoN.

They are pricey aren't they? Still not much more than a name brand integral
shank chuck.

Now to see if I can find a J0 sto .250 stright shank adaptor. LOL.

Actually I think for now I am going to stick with 1/8 shank carbide micro
drills, and back drill a clearance hole, then the vent hole.

I will want one of those chucks in my arsenal though. As soon as I find the
taper adaptor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

What *I* would use is one of the smallest Albrecht drill chucks.
I've found the 0-1/8" ones to work well down to the smallest number
drills that I have (#80), both in a Cameron Precision sensitive drill
press, and in the tailstock of an Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe.

From a search for Albrecht chucks, I find this description;

The Albrecht 70020 C30-J0 Classic Keyless Drill Chuck has a 0.015" to 1/8"

This is the one with a J0 taper.

[ ... ]

There is also a smaller one -- 15-J0 -- maximum capacity of
1/16"

Both are small enough to handle rather elevated RPMs.

[ ... ]

They are pricey aren't they? Still not much more than a name brand integral
shank chuck.

Yep -- and really good quality.

Now to see if I can find a J0 sto .250 stright shank adaptor. LOL.

Hmm ... search through MSC shows several 3/8" shank to JT0,
including at least one by Albrecht -- to match the quality of the chuck
for $48.37.

Or -- a cheap import one for $13.88, or an AcurPro for $14.47 --
almost as cheap.

Actually I think for now I am going to stick with 1/8 shank carbide micro
drills, and back drill a clearance hole, then the vent hole.

I will want one of those chucks in my arsenal though. As soon as I find the
taper adaptor.

So -- the question is whether you could make it work with a 3/8"
shank instead?

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

What *I* would use is one of the smallest Albrecht drill chucks.
I've found the 0-1/8" ones to work well down to the smallest number
drills that I have (#80), both in a Cameron Precision sensitive drill
press, and in the tailstock of an Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe.

From a search for Albrecht chucks, I find this description;

[...]

No, not unless I want to remachine the head and change out the spindle on my
little high speed machine. It has a 1HP ER11 spindle. Of course its not a
standard 65mm spindle either. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

What *I* would use is one of the smallest Albrecht drill chucks.
I've found the 0-1/8" ones to work well down to the smallest number
drills that I have (#80), both in a Cameron Precision sensitive drill
press, and in the tailstock of an Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe.

From a search for Albrecht chucks, I find this description;

[...]

Just buy a set of pin chucks. They do what you are looking to do. Run
tiny variable sized drill bits in a standard size collet.

http://www.travers.com/3-piece-pin-c...FQocHwod3GIDww

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1216877...&ul_noapp=true

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
[ ... ]

What *I* would use is one of the smallest Albrecht drill chucks.
I've found the 0-1/8" ones to work well down to the smallest number
drills that I have (#80), both in a Cameron Precision sensitive drill
press, and in the tailstock of an Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe.

From a search for Albrecht chucks, I find this description;

[...]

Already been down that road. Bought several that looked much like those in
your pictures for at varying price levels. None held drill bits straight in
the sizes I wanted to drill. Went with 1/8 shank carbide micro drill
instead. Then back drilled for clearance. Not ideal, but it worked.