Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Precision" Pin Vise

"Steve W." wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2016-03-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
[ ... ]

What *I* would use is one of the smallest Albrecht drill chucks.
I've found the 0-1/8" ones to work well down to the smallest number
drills that I have (#80), both in a Cameron Precision sensitive drill
press, and in the tailstock of an Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe.

From a search for Albrecht chucks, I find this description;

The Albrecht 70020 C30-J0 Classic Keyless Drill Chuck has a 0.015" to
1/8"

This is the one with a J0 taper.
[ ... ]

There is also a smaller one -- 15-J0 -- maximum capacity of
1/16"

Both are small enough to handle rather elevated RPMs.
[ ... ]

They are pricey aren't they? Still not much more than a name brand
integral
shank chuck.
Yep -- and really good quality.

Now to see if I can find a J0 sto .250 stright shank adaptor. LOL.
Hmm ... search through MSC shows several 3/8" shank to JT0,
including at least one by Albrecht -- to match the quality of the chuck
for $48.37.

Or -- a cheap import one for $13.88, or an AcurPro for $14.47 --
almost as cheap.

Actually I think for now I am going to stick with 1/8 shank carbide
micro
drills, and back drill a clearance hole, then the vent hole.

I will want one of those chucks in my arsenal though. As soon as I
find the
taper adaptor.
So -- the question is whether you could make it work with a 3/8"
shank instead?

No, not unless I want to remachine the head and change out the spindle on
my little high speed machine. It has a 1HP ER11 spindle. Of course its
not a standard 65mm spindle either. LOL.

Just buy a set of pin chucks. They do what you are looking to do. Run tiny
variable sized drill bits in a standard size collet.

http://www.travers.com/3-piece-pin-c...FQocHwod3GIDww

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1216877...&ul_noapp=true

Already been down that road. Bought several that looked much like those in
your pictures for at varying price levels. None held drill bits straight in
the sizes I wanted to drill. Went with 1/8 shank carbide micro drill
instead. Then back drilled for clearance. Not ideal, but it worked.