Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default "Precision" Pin Vise

Bob La Londe wrote:
Are there any pin vises suitable for CNC drilling at high speeds for micro
drills. A high quality high precision pin vise.

I know. I know. Sounds like an oxy moron. I think if I can find a pin
vise that will actually hold the bits straight, and has low enough runout,
it will be possible with correct speed and feed calculations.

I bought two mid price pin vises from two different sounces, and
unfortunately neither holds a drill bit particularly straight.

In the mean time I ordered some carbide micro drills in the sizes I need,
but because of their DOC capabilities, I'll need to back drill the part.
Oh, joy. A secondary setup for a part what fun. LOL.

FYI: Did some tests with what I had and found HSM Adviser wanted to feed
way to fast. As a check I plugged the same numbers into ME Consultant, and
it indicated less than half the feed rate of HSM. The HSM numbers flexed
and broken drill bits very quickly. Haven't retried yet with the ME
numbers.

Pin vises are hand held tools.

A pin CHUCK on the other hand is designed to hold tiny bits and be spun
under power.

Like these.
http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Sharpe-5.../dp/B001BY3TBQ

http://www.groz-tools.com/index.cfm?...t&ProductID=99

I have had the B&S set for a long time, they run very true.

--
Steve W.