Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default "Precision" Pin Vise

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 2:44:59 PM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 10:00:12 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
Are there any pin vises suitable for CNC drilling at high speeds for micro
drills. A high quality high precision pin vise.

I think (in printed circuit board drilling) the usual scheme is to use a collet
(0.125") and a suitable shank size on the microdrill. So, does a collet
chuck work for you? I'm dubious that a 'pin vise' is going to be well
enough balanced to run at the high RPMs a microdrill calls for.

And, while those solid carbide drills will break if you even look at them too hard, many people (myself included) have had good success running them in dremel tools in dremel drill presses. Though I never measured it, that makes me think that the runout of the dremel and its collets is pretty good.

If you don't want to cobble up a dremel tool holder for your mill, maybe you could sacrifice a dremel tool and use its shaft in place of your pin vice?