Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Manual can openers working poorly

I own several can openers, of manual style with a star wheel,
including "USA made" and such.

They all work poorly and the wheel does not want to cut, and the star
wheel does not provide traction.

After realizing that "USA MADE EZ-DUZ-IT" also does not work, I looked
closely and realized that the particular can does not have much of a
"lip" on the outside and that there is barely any surface for the star
wheel to grab on.

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

My question is, which is it:

1) I am having bad luck with the openers
2) There is a magic star wheel opener that works well
3) The cans are really made such that they need to be opened
differently.

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

This question bothers me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:57:12 -0600, Ignoramus28209
wrote:

[...]

Most people in the US don't open condensed or evaporated milk cans
with an opener that removes the whole top. We generally just punch two
holes in the lid, using a beer-can opener. Even then, the cans
generally have a narrower-than-normal lip that's hard to hold. I just
push the beer-can opener down into the lid, without using the lip for
a pivot point.

As the old ad jingle goes:

Carnation Milk is best in the land;
it comes in a little red-and-white can.
No teats to pull, no hay to pitch;
just poke two holes
in the son-of-a-bitch.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 8:57:14 PM UTC-6, Ignoramus28209 wrote:
[...]

It's the cans. The metal is so thin, the wheels can't pinch the rim and the cutter can't nestle in the corner.

Trying to open a can of tuna has turned into a real chore.

Paul K. Dickman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 8:57:14 PM UTC-6, Ignoramus28209 wrote:
I own several can openers, of manual style with a star wheel,
including "USA made" and such.

They all work poorly and the wheel does not want to cut, and the star
wheel does not provide traction.

I saw these on TV 6-7 years ago and tried them out, and really like them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o00_s00
They work by breaking the solder joint between lid and can (that's the metal
working content :-)), and do not have a cutting wheel and don't leave any
sharp edges. They have little pliers jaws to get the lid off easily, and
you can press the lid back on and get enough of a seal to keep partial cans
of stuff in the fridge for a few days. Haven't opened a condensed milk can
with them, but have opened lots of cans of tuna and other stuff without any
failures. The link is for the Oxo Good Grips version, they were the top
brand tested by America's Test Kitchen back then.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28209 fired this volley in
:

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

Wait... 'evaporated milk' has the oddball cans with almost no lip. The
condensed milk (sweetened condensed milk) has a pretty normal can with a
substantial ring at the top, and can be properly opened with a rotary can
opener.

But to your general question -- lips on metal cans have gotten thinner
over the decades. Only pretty-good rotary can openers can get a grip on
most of them.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.170...
Ignoramus28209 fired this
volley in
:

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

Wait... 'evaporated milk' has the oddball cans with almost no lip.
The
condensed milk (sweetened condensed milk) has a pretty normal can
with a
substantial ring at the top, and can be properly opened with a
rotary can
opener.

But to your general question -- lips on metal cans have gotten
thinner
over the decades. Only pretty-good rotary can openers can get a
grip on
most of them.

Lloyd

This manual Swing-A-Way I bought around 1980 still works fine.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 06:03:53 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus28209 fired this volley in
:

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

Wait... 'evaporated milk' has the oddball cans with almost no lip. The
condensed milk (sweetened condensed milk) has a pretty normal can with a
substantial ring at the top, and can be properly opened with a rotary can
opener.

I remember the no-lip cans, but I have Carnation cans of both
evaporated and condensed in the cupboard, and I see that they both
have lips. But the lips are thin and a little shallow.

Again, "just punch two holes in the son-of-a-bitch." g (As if there
should be any question, that was not a real ad jingle.)

--
Ed Huntress

But to your general question -- lips on metal cans have gotten thinner
over the decades. Only pretty-good rotary can openers can get a grip on
most of them.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/22/2016 04:25 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

This manual Swing-A-Way I bought around 1980 still works fine.

Yep, you beat me to it, although the one I had from the early eighties
finally gave up the ghost a few years ago. It's replacement, another
swing-a-way, is still working just fine (I think over 25 years years for
a can opener is a decent enough lifespan).

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I own several can openers, of manual style with a star wheel,
including "USA made" and such.

They all work poorly and the wheel does not want to cut, and the star
wheel does not provide traction.

After realizing that "USA MADE EZ-DUZ-IT" also does not work, I looked
closely and realized that the particular can does not have much of a
"lip" on the outside and that there is barely any surface for the star
wheel to grab on.

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

My question is, which is it:

1) I am having bad luck with the openers

Obviously. g

2) There is a magic star wheel opener that works well
3) The cans are really made such that they need to be opened
differently.

3. I've been noticing smaller steel rings on some cans, too.
I wonder if the new sideways can openers are designed for these.
They cut the steel ring from the side, leaving a less sharp lip.
I believe they're called "soft edge" style. Never used one.

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

Got pics? Never heard of it.

This question bothers me.

My favorite can opener of all time is the Amco Swing-a-Way cabinet
mount. http://tinyurl.com/gqcy6h7 They make short time of #10 cans,
and even the weak or infirm can use one, with the long crank.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:n7t6ur$f9f$1
@dont-email.me:

This manual Swing-A-Way I bought around 1980 still works fine.

Mine, too. I've bought two, only since marriage 45 years ago. We just
wore out the first one about two years ago, and the new one was identical
down to the last file mark.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

================================================= =======================

I saw these on TV 6-7 years ago and tried them out, and really like them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o00_s00

They work by breaking the solder joint between lid and can (that's the metal
working content :-)), and do not have a cutting wheel and don't leave any

From their listing "Durable stainless steel cutting wheel does not
touch can contents and stays clean."

sharp edges. They have little pliers jaws to get the lid off easily, and
you can press the lid back on and get enough of a seal to keep partial cans
of stuff in the fridge for a few days. Haven't opened a condensed milk can
with them, but have opened lots of cans of tuna and other stuff without any
failures. The link is for the Oxo Good Grips version, they were the top
brand tested by America's Test Kitchen back then.

OXO stuff is very good, and quite ergonomic. Pricy, though.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
in no way can the success of evil be made quicker or surer.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-22, Carl Ijames wrote:
[...]

I will give it a try
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus28209 fired this volley in
:

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

Wait... 'evaporated milk' has the oddball cans with almost no lip. The
condensed milk (sweetened condensed milk) has a pretty normal can with a
substantial ring at the top, and can be properly opened with a rotary can
opener.

But to your general question -- lips on metal cans have gotten thinner
over the decades. Only pretty-good rotary can openers can get a grip on
most of them.

Lloyd

OK, thanks. I tried to think about your and Ed's comment last night, I
believe that I have problems with other cans also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I wonder too

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/can-opener.jpg

This question bothers me.

My favorite can opener of all time is the Amco Swing-a-Way cabinet
mount. http://tinyurl.com/gqcy6h7 They make short time of #10 cans,
and even the weak or infirm can use one, with the long crank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 9:57:14 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus28209 wrote:
I own several can openers, of manual style with a star wheel,
including "USA made" and such.

They all work poorly and the wheel does not want to cut, and the star
wheel does not provide traction.

Well, buy from a high-end kitchen and appliance retailer, like Williams Sonoma. Tell this problem to the store's buyer too, to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 8:57:14 PM UTC-6, Ignoramus28209 wrote:
I own several can openers, of manual style with a star wheel,
including "USA made" and such.

They all work poorly and the wheel does not want to cut, and the star
wheel does not provide traction.

================================================= =======================

I saw these on TV 6-7 years ago and tried them out, and really like them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o00_s00

They work by breaking the solder joint between lid and can (that's the
metal
working content :-)), and do not have a cutting wheel and don't leave any

From their listing "Durable stainless steel cutting wheel does not
touch can contents and stays clean."

sharp edges. They have little pliers jaws to get the lid off easily, and
you can press the lid back on and get enough of a seal to keep partial cans
of stuff in the fridge for a few days. Haven't opened a condensed milk can
with them, but have opened lots of cans of tuna and other stuff without any
failures. The link is for the Oxo Good Grips version, they were the top
brand tested by America's Test Kitchen back then.

OXO stuff is very good, and quite ergonomic. Pricy, though.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
in no way can the success of evil be made quicker or surer.
--Theodore Roosevelt

I guess I always thought of it more as a roller than a blade. Looks like a
V-groove pulley with one lip about half as tall as the other and somewhat
sharp. Really doesn't leave any sharp edges on the can or lid so I'm not
sure how much actual cutting of the can is going on, as opposed to just
mashing through the solder down to the can. I like OXO stuff, and to me it
seems to be priced about halfway between real junk and the name brand stuff
that is definitely overpriced, so unless it's a use one time then throw away
item I usually don't mind the OXO pricing since their stuff seems to always
actually work. My favorite cooking shows are America's Test Kitchen and
Cook's Country, both done by the same crew, and they do comparison testing
of lots of products. The OXO stuff usually does quite well in their
ratings.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28209 wrote:
I own several can openers, of manual style with a star wheel,
including "USA made" and such.

They all work poorly and the wheel does not want to cut, and the star
wheel does not provide traction.

After realizing that "USA MADE EZ-DUZ-IT" also does not work, I looked
closely and realized that the particular can does not have much of a
"lip" on the outside and that there is barely any surface for the star
wheel to grab on.

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

My question is, which is it:

1) I am having bad luck with the openers
2) There is a magic star wheel opener that works well

I like the Fissler (german brand but no country of origin marked)
side-cutting can openers. you can sort of re-use the lid on the can and
they do not pierce the top of the lid or touch the contents. The only
catch is the edges of thin cans can be sharp anyways, and if for some
reason you keep going around the can, it can make a sharp sliver on the
side of the can. I don't like rusty, uncleanable wheels in food.

3) The cans are really made such that they need to be opened
differently.

It does seem like cans have gotten thinner over the years. The contents
have shrunk for sure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16462 fired this volley in
:

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

Got pics? Never heard of it.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/can-opener.jpg

HEH! That's HARDLY a "Russian" (style of) can opener! That's been
around since day-one of metal-canned food! I've got one in my camping
pack, and it's not Russian, I can assure you! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

We have one. It works better than the old style, at least with new-style
cans. As an added bonus, it leaves a lid that can be placed back on the
can, so if you don't need an airtight seal you can eat half a can of
beans or soup or whatever, then put the lid back on (loosely, of course),
and put it in the fridge for later.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:13:32 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip
The only
catch is the edges of thin cans can be sharp anyways, and if for some
reason you keep going around the can, it can make a sharp sliver on the
side of the can.

On my can opener of this style you can open the hand grips slightly
(so it isn't squeezing the rim so hard) and avoid this issue. Crunch
down on the can and then stick your index finger in between the
handles and open it back up some. It takes a little practice but the
crank turns easier then too. You don't need no where near the pressure
on aluminum cans that the design can deliver.

Otherwise this will happen almost every time on aluminum cat food cans
with pop top lids (which I despise). Makes turning the crank easier on
most other cans too. They need an adjustable stop on them for this

I'll make/post a youtube video if you don't understand...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16462 fired this volley in
:

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

Got pics? Never heard of it.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/can-opener.jpg

HEH! That's HARDLY a "Russian" (style of) can opener! That's been
around since day-one of metal-canned food! I've got one in my camping
pack, and it's not Russian, I can assure you! G

Lloyd

OK, sorry!!!

I have never seen them sold here...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16462 fired this volley in
:

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

Got pics? Never heard of it.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/can-opener.jpg

HEH! That's HARDLY a "Russian" (style of) can opener! That's been
around since day-one of metal-canned food! I've got one in my camping
pack, and it's not Russian, I can assure you! G

Lloyd

OK, sorry!!!

I have never seen them sold here...

================================================== ======================================

According to wikipedia that style was invented in the US and patented in
1858:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can_op...pe_can_openers
Of course it could also have been independently invented in Russia and we
just didn't know about it :-).

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

================================================= =======================================

According to wikipedia that style was invented in the US and patented in
1858:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can_op...pe_can_openers
Of course it could also have been independently invented in Russia and we
just didn't know about it :-).

The Russians think that they invented everything...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
Ignoramus16462 fired this
volley in
:

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I
remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a
lip
around the top.

Got pics? Never heard of it.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/can-opener.jpg

HEH! That's HARDLY a "Russian" (style of) can opener! That's been
around since day-one of metal-canned food! I've got one in my
camping
pack, and it's not Russian, I can assure you! G

Lloyd

Tin cans were invented to answer Napoleon's request for a better way
to feed his Army in the field, shortly before he invaded Russia.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:n7uh18$q7g$1
@dont-email.me:

Tin cans were invented to answer Napoleon's request for a better way
to feed his Army in the field, shortly before he invaded Russia.

AH! So the Russians just found all those tens of thousands of French can
openers lying around in the snow, and kept them until today to re-sell at
retail!

THAT makes sense! G

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
@dont-email.me:

Tin cans were invented to answer Napoleon's request for a better
way
to feed his Army in the field, shortly before he invaded Russia.

AH! So the Russians just found all those tens of thousands of
French can
openers lying around in the snow, and kept them until today to
re-sell at
retail!

THAT makes sense! G

Lloyd

BTW Murat and Lanne(s) in my posting nym were two of Nappy's 'beau
sabreur' generals.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 07:28:03 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 06:03:53 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus28209 fired this volley in
:

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

Wait... 'evaporated milk' has the oddball cans with almost no lip. The
condensed milk (sweetened condensed milk) has a pretty normal can with a
substantial ring at the top, and can be properly opened with a rotary can
opener.

I remember the no-lip cans, but I have Carnation cans of both
evaporated and condensed in the cupboard, and I see that they both
have lips. But the lips are thin and a little shallow.

Again, "just punch two holes in the son-of-a-bitch." g (As if there
should be any question, that was not a real ad jingle.)

Although the "poem" is usually attributed to western cowboys in the
late 1800's :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:42:30 -0600, Ignoramus16462
wrote:

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

Got pics? Never heard of it.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/can-opener.jpg

Man, ancient! I'd rather use my trusty P-51 opener. P-38s are too
small/tedious to use. http://tinyurl.com/zq8fhkd

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
in no way can the success of evil be made quicker or surer.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Going to have to get those side cutters that roll the cut as it
goes so the edge isn't sharp and the lid fits back on. Seen on TV...

Cans have changed a lot. See a number of pull tabs like beer once were.

I thought we used a can triangle punch and the other end is a bottle
opener for milk.

Martin

On 1/21/2016 8:57 PM, Ignoramus28209 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

[...]

What gets me is that the "side cut" openers are called safety openers.
I guess they figure that people are cutting their tongues when licking
off can lids.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

OXO is a name brand in cooking stuff.
Martin

Oh...!! I thought they were talking about diesel mechanics' tools!
Thanks. That clears up a lot of the conversation for me.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

[...]

You mean to tell us that you've nev...Umm, never mind.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
in no way can the success of evil be made quicker or surer.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My favorite can opener of all time is the Amco Swing-a-Way cabinet
mount. http://tinyurl.com/gqcy6h7 They make short time of #10 cans,
and even the weak or infirm can use one, with the long crank.

My mother had one just like it. Remember it as far back as the mid
1970s. When the cutting and drive wheels finally wore out after 15
or 20 years I searched locally (pre Internet) for a replacement with
no luck. Ended up buying a hand held Swing-a-Way and robbing the
parts from it.

Great can opener! In addition to all the people food cans it
probably opened 5,000 plus cans of cat food. Yum...
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My favorite can opener of all time is the Amco Swing-a-Way cabinet
mount. http://tinyurl.com/gqcy6h7 They make short time of #10
cans,
and even the weak or infirm can use one, with the long crank.

My mother had one just like it. Remember it as far back as the mid
1970s. When the cutting and drive wheels finally wore out after 15
or 20 years I searched locally (pre Internet) for a replacement with
no luck. Ended up buying a hand held Swing-a-Way and robbing the
parts from it.

Great can opener! In addition to all the people food cans it
probably opened 5,000 plus cans of cat food. Yum...
--
William

I oil it as needed, maybe once a decade, and a minute ago.

-jsw.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

Got pics? Never heard of it.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/can-opener.jpg

Man, ancient! I'd rather use my trusty P-51 opener. P-38s are too
small/tedious to use. http://tinyurl.com/zq8fhkd

I finally wore out my P-51 last month. Took 18 yrs of opening cans a
couple times a week.

So I took another one out of my jewelry box and put it on my key
chain..respectfully retiring the old one in the circular file

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip
The only
catch is the edges of thin cans can be sharp anyways, and if for some
reason you keep going around the can, it can make a sharp sliver on the
side of the can.

On my can opener of this style you can open the hand grips slightly
(so it isn't squeezing the rim so hard) and avoid this issue. Crunch
down on the can and then stick your index finger in between the
handles and open it back up some. It takes a little practice but the
crank turns easier then too. You don't need no where near the pressure
on aluminum cans that the design can deliver.

It sounds like you're saying just stuck a finger in the way of the handle
to reduce pressure on the can?

Like stripping wire with wire cutters so yo don't cut off the strands?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip
The only
catch is the edges of thin cans can be sharp anyways, and if for some
reason you keep going around the can, it can make a sharp sliver on the
side of the can.

On my can opener of this style you can open the hand grips slightly
(so it isn't squeezing the rim so hard) and avoid this issue. Crunch
down on the can and then stick your index finger in between the
handles and open it back up some. It takes a little practice but the
crank turns easier then too. You don't need no where near the pressure
on aluminum cans that the design can deliver.

It sounds like you're saying just stuck a finger in the way of the handle
to reduce pressure on the can?

Just found one of the OXO versions at Harris Teeter (first
shopping trip after the blizzard. :-) (Saves a web-based order, at
least.)

Tomorrow a can gets opened with it.

Enjoy,
DoN.