Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Manual can openers working poorly

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 06:03:29 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:57:12 -0600, Ignoramus28209
wrote:

I own several can openers, of manual style with a star wheel, including
"USA made" and such.

They all work poorly and the wheel does not want to cut, and the star
wheel does not provide traction.

After realizing that "USA MADE EZ-DUZ-IT" also does not work, I looked
closely and realized that the particular can does not have much of a
"lip" on the outside and that there is barely any surface for the star
wheel to grab on.

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any similar
can opener can actually open them reliably.

My question is, which is it:

1) I am having bad luck with the openers

Obviously. g

2) There is a magic star wheel opener that works well 3) The cans are
really made such that they need to be opened differently.

3. I've been noticing smaller steel rings on some cans, too.
I wonder if the new sideways can openers are designed for these. They
cut the steel ring from the side, leaving a less sharp lip.
I believe they're called "soft edge" style. Never used one.

We have one. It works better than the old style, at least with new-style
cans. As an added bonus, it leaves a lid that can be placed back on the
can, so if you don't need an airtight seal you can eat half a can of
beans or soup or whatever, then put the lid back on (loosely, of course),
and put it in the fridge for later.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services