Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] geraldrmiller@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Manual can openers working poorly

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 17:23:51 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:13:32 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip
The only
catch is the edges of thin cans can be sharp anyways, and if for some
reason you keep going around the can, it can make a sharp sliver on the
side of the can.

On my can opener of this style you can open the hand grips slightly
(so it isn't squeezing the rim so hard) and avoid this issue. Crunch
down on the can and then stick your index finger in between the
handles and open it back up some. It takes a little practice but the
crank turns easier then too. You don't need no where near the pressure
on aluminum cans that the design can deliver.

Otherwise this will happen almost every time on aluminum cat food cans
with pop top lids (which I despise). Makes turning the crank easier on
most other cans too. They need an adjustable stop on them for this

I'll make/post a youtube video if you don't understand...

What gets me is that the "side cut" openers are called safety openers.
I guess they figure that people are cutting their tongues when licking
off can lids.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada