Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Manual can openers working poorly

On 1/22/2016 9:50 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

OXO stuff is very good, and quite ergonomic. Pricy, though.

--

Cheap Junk that doesn't work is far more "Pricy".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 22:16:06 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:13:32 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip

[...]

On my can opener of this style you can open the hand grips slightly
(so it isn't squeezing the rim so hard) and avoid this issue. Crunch
down on the can and then stick your index finger in between the
handles and open it back up some. It takes a little practice but the
crank turns easier then too. You don't need no where near the pressure
on aluminum cans that the design can deliver.

It sounds like you're saying just stuck a finger in the way of the handle
to reduce pressure on the can?

Like stripping wire with wire cutters so yo don't cut off the strands?

Yes, exactly so.

In doing a quick search on Amazon for Fissler I found two models for
this type of opener. One model, the older one I believe looks to be
identical to my "Good Cooks". In reading the reviews for this model
quite a few people have this problem with them...

The other model doesn't seem to have handles that work by squeezing. I
noticed this with the newer OXO models in my local store too (old
models had handles to squeeze). They are packaged in such a way though
that I can't play with one and see how they work. Too darn expensive to
just buy one for curiosities sake. I think they have been redesigned
though to use some sort of automatic tension for gripping the rim of
the can...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 23:28:10 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 1/22/2016 9:50 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

OXO stuff is very good, and quite ergonomic. Pricy, though.

--

Cheap Junk that doesn't work is far more "Pricy".

Verily. I always shop for value.
Value, to me = low price, good+ reliability, excellent function.

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:13:32 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip

[...]

[...]

I didn't even think about the number of handles. Even after reading your
reply it never hit me my Fissler only has a single stainless steel covered
handle. Turning the crank applies pressure with a sort of threaded part.
Turning the crank backwards releases the can. It's been a while since I've
taken it apart.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-27, Leon Fisk wrote:

[ ... ]

In doing a quick search on Amazon for Fissler I found two models for
this type of opener. One model, the older one I believe looks to be
identical to my "Good Cooks". In reading the reviews for this model
quite a few people have this problem with them...

The other model doesn't seem to have handles that work by squeezing. I
noticed this with the newer OXO models in my local store too (old
models had handles to squeeze). They are packaged in such a way though
that I can't play with one and see how they work. Too darn expensive to
just buy one for curiosities sake. I think they have been redesigned
though to use some sort of automatic tension for gripping the rim of
the can...

This is the one which I just got -- and what happens is that
when you turn the knob, the feed gear advances into contact with the
rim, and is held there by friction until you reverse the knob, which
releases it. If there is no can in place, the knob just advances the
gear and then it retracts.

Anyway -- it worked well on the can I tried it on -- once I
figured out not to grip the cut lid too far down to extract it. (This
one has a built in set of "pliers" oprerated by a button on the side of
the handle to grip the lid. My ifrst try had the grip too far down, and
was trying to lift the remaining can rim, too. A close look at the grip
told me what I was doing wrong, and hen the lid popped up nicely.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28209 writes:

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

My question is, which is it:

1) I am having bad luck with the openers
2) There is a magic star wheel opener that works well
3) The cans are really made such that they need to be opened
differently.

For those milk cans, it's the cans (as others have opined in greater
detail.)

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

From 1932 to circa 63, my parents used a du Blake bayonet can opener
exclusively (and they like canned good). In the mid fifties the blade
was worn down but my father repositioned it and it soldiered on. It's
like the lower one in this pic:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RnAAAO...OBI/s-l300.jpg

but without the bottle opener hook and a slightly different style of
hand grip. Is that similar to your Russian one?

But around 1964 my parents went for electric rotary openers. When I
closed up their house circa 1994, there were half a dozen defunct
electric openers in the cellar but the du Blake was still in good
shape in the kitchen drawer.

My folks had one because some distant relative was trying to make a
living selling them door to door around 1930. He failed and his stock
ended up in some other distant relative's attic. When I married in
'64, I asked about these can openers. My mother contacted the distant
relative, three were found still in the attic and I now have them.

Light, easy to pack, opens anything deeper than the blade length.
Forget anchovies but tuna cans are fine. Estimated 18,000 cans MTBF.
Doesn't leave a totally risk-free smooth edge but neither does it
leave a seriously jagged one and it works quickly, easily & smoothly.
More than can be said of manual rotary openers.

This question bothers me.

Well it should. :-)

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com writes:

Ignoramus16462 fired this volley in
:

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

Got pics? Never heard of it.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/can-opener.jpg

Horrible! Hard to use, jagged cut. You need a du Blake (see previous
post).

HEH! That's HARDLY a "Russian" (style of) can opener! That's been
around since day-one of metal-canned food! I've got one in my camping
pack, and it's not Russian, I can assure you! G

Yeah, I've seen those in kitchens (rarely if ever used) and junk shops
all my septuagenarian life, none of which has been in Russia. Wooden
handle is an up-scale variation, though.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 23:26:35 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip
I didn't even think about the number of handles. Even after reading your
reply it never hit me my Fissler only has a single stainless steel covered
handle. Turning the crank applies pressure with a sort of threaded part.
Turning the crank backwards releases the can. It's been a while since I've
taken it apart.

I understand, don't think my solution will help much with that model ;-)

That was the other model I saw via Amazon. It was the much more
expensive model. I didn't read any of the reviews for that model...

Wild ass guess but I would suspect that if that thread part gets a
little sticky, hard to move it might tension the rim area a little too
much. I know backing off on how hard you squeeze the handles with my
version does wonders for the ragged edge with sliver problem you
described earlier.

DoN's new OXO seems to work like yours from his description.

You did get me to look at mine and clean up the cutter area. The little
cutter wheel was kind of hard to turn and had some light rust. Not bad
after probably 20 years of service and it still works about the same as
it always did.

I actually bought it for my Mom who could never get the hang of the pop
top cans. They used to give her fits trying to open them. A special
tool I also bought for leveraging the tops off didn't work for her
either. If the pop top wasn't too deep she could still use the old
Swing-Away opener on them though. After I retired and was around the
house she would just get me to open them, problem solved

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b