Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Manual can openers working poorly

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 22:16:06 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:13:32 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip

[...]

On my can opener of this style you can open the hand grips slightly
(so it isn't squeezing the rim so hard) and avoid this issue. Crunch
down on the can and then stick your index finger in between the
handles and open it back up some. It takes a little practice but the
crank turns easier then too. You don't need no where near the pressure
on aluminum cans that the design can deliver.

It sounds like you're saying just stuck a finger in the way of the handle
to reduce pressure on the can?

Like stripping wire with wire cutters so yo don't cut off the strands?

Yes, exactly so.

In doing a quick search on Amazon for Fissler I found two models for
this type of opener. One model, the older one I believe looks to be
identical to my "Good Cooks". In reading the reviews for this model
quite a few people have this problem with them...

The other model doesn't seem to have handles that work by squeezing. I
noticed this with the newer OXO models in my local store too (old
models had handles to squeeze). They are packaged in such a way though
that I can't play with one and see how they work. Too darn expensive to
just buy one for curiosities sake. I think they have been redesigned
though to use some sort of automatic tension for gripping the rim of
the can...

I didn't even think about the number of handles. Even after reading your
reply it never hit me my Fissler only has a single stainless steel covered
handle. Turning the crank applies pressure with a sort of threaded part.
Turning the crank backwards releases the can. It's been a while since I've
taken it apart.