Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Poorly designed GCH radiator?

Hi

I've recently fitted a new 2m high stainless steel radiator . It has
8 vertical tubes which are connected at the top and bottom by a
horizontal tube. Although it looks great, i'm not that pleased with
its heat output, which is meant to be around 5,900 btus. I find that

a) the difference in the flow and return pipe is hardly noticeable.
These pipes are connected to either side of the lower horizontal tube,
and while this tube heats up very quickly, the rest of the radiator
heats up much more slowly. I have attempted to balance the radiator
with others in the house and i'm now at the point that other
radiators' LSVs are one quarter to one half turn from being closed
altogether. As i said, the lower tube heats up fine, but water
doesn't seem to mix with the rest of the radiator - it seems to just
flow straight out the other side.

b) the vertical pipe closest to the flow side takes much longer to
fully heat up than the rest - about an hour longer.

Is there anything i'm overlooking? Or do you think it's just the
design?

thanks

Stevie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've recently fitted a new 2m high stainless steel radiator . It has
8 vertical tubes which are connected at the top and bottom by a
horizontal tube. Although it looks great, i'm not that pleased with
its heat output, which is meant to be around 5,900 btus. I find that

a) the difference in the flow and return pipe is hardly noticeable.
These pipes are connected to either side of the lower horizontal tube,
and while this tube heats up very quickly, the rest of the radiator
heats up much more slowly.

Firstly this could point to an airlock in the rad - are you sure all air
is out?
These rads are crap. I've fitted 4 or 5 this year. Look good, and great
for drying towels, but give nowhere near as much heat as a conventional
rad of the same external size.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:18:31 -0800, revfunk wrote:

I've recently fitted a new 2m high stainless steel radiator . It has
8 vertical tubes which are connected at the top and bottom by a
horizontal tube. Although it looks great, i'm not that pleased with
its heat output, which is meant to be around 5,900 btus. I find that

Is there anything i'm overlooking? Or do you think it's just the
design?

There should be a barrier in the middle of the bottom tube preventing
water from taking the shortcut from flow to return though this tube and
making it go instead up half the vertical tubes (say the right hand half
if flow's on the right) across the top tube and down the other verticals.
If your rad has got a barrier and it's in the top tube you'll prevent
/any/ effective circulation via the top tube!

One I fitted recently (with the barrier correctly in the bottom tube!) had
a tendency to make waterfall noises until it had been /really/
slowly and thoroughly bled. Quite engaging sound ... for the first hour or
so, perhaps!

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Extreme moderate
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
I've recently fitted a new 2m high stainless steel radiator . It has
8 vertical tubes which are connected at the top and bottom by a
horizontal tube. Although it looks great, i'm not that pleased with
its heat output, which is meant to be around 5,900 btus. I find that

a) the difference in the flow and return pipe is hardly noticeable.
These pipes are connected to either side of the lower horizontal tube,
and while this tube heats up very quickly, the rest of the radiator
heats up much more slowly.

Firstly this could point to an airlock in the rad - are you sure all air
is out?
These rads are crap. I've fitted 4 or 5 this year. Look good, and great
for drying towels, but give nowhere near as much heat as a conventional
rad of the same external size.

Can't see that one with vertical tubes would be much use as a towel rad?

I've got a large SS one from TLC and that works fine as a towel rad. But
of course it can't be that and a rad at the same time. Towels are pretty
good insulators.

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Jan, 00:46, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *A.Lee wrote:

[...]

Thanks John - i hope you're right and i have fitted the radiator
upside-down. It didn't come with any instructions, and i can't see
any markings on the radiator. It does currently make that waterfall
noise but i can't detect any air when bleeding though - i'll try bleed
from other side and see if that makes a difference.

Also, agree with Alan - look good but don't believe it gives out as
much heat as the standard radiator it replaced, which was slightly
smaller too (c5400 btus).

Will post again if i find out any more, or the results of turning it
around.

Stevie

poorly designed combi system - need technical, objective advice. sparkydude UK diy 6 November 1st 05 12:35 PM
Is it normal to come down poorly after a move? MM UK diy 7 January 21st 05 12:45 PM
Poorly door seal imyourboss Home Repair 1 December 6th 04 06:10 PM
poorly door seal imyourboss UK diy 1 December 6th 04 05:53 PM
Roughing Gouges - Poorly Designed? George Woodturning 6 July 14th 03 11:59 PM