Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,macromedia.dreamweaver

Default Poorly done dialog

Steve Carroll wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:13 pm, Snit wrote:
OK, Dreamweaver on OS X... absurd dialog. I was uploading some files
and doing a number of other things when I mistakenly hit the close
button

You initiated a "Cancel" action of the upload "file activity". Think
about that for awhile...

on the upload window. Here is the dialog I got:

http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/cancel_dialog.png

Closing this window will cancel the file activity. Are
you sure you want to cancel?
[ Cancel ] [ OK ]

So if I want to CANCEL the file activity I hit "OK",

Of course.

but if I do *not* want
to CANCEL I have to press "Cancel".

Thus canceling the 'cancel action' you initiated.

I knew to press Cancel... so, no, it is not so confusing that a user
cannot figure it out, but, really, shouldn't the buttons be:

[ Cancel Upload ] [ Continue Upload ]

You're suggesting they not adhere to a standard OSX dialog box
reference... I don't see a compelling reason here.

And the text be something like: "Closing this Window will cancel the
file activity. Do you want to cancel the upload or continue
uploading?"

They probably assume that people who know what uploading a file is
know that it's a "file activity". Go figure.

Or something like that?

Silly... just silly.

Indeed.

The dialog is fine. The user is stupid. Easy!