Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Manual can openers working poorly

Going to have to get those side cutters that roll the cut as it
goes so the edge isn't sharp and the lid fits back on. Seen on TV...

Cans have changed a lot. See a number of pull tabs like beer once were.

I thought we used a can triangle punch and the other end is a bottle
opener for milk.

Martin

On 1/21/2016 8:57 PM, Ignoramus28209 wrote:
I own several can openers, of manual style with a star wheel,
including "USA made" and such.

They all work poorly and the wheel does not want to cut, and the star
wheel does not provide traction.

After realizing that "USA MADE EZ-DUZ-IT" also does not work, I looked
closely and realized that the particular can does not have much of a
"lip" on the outside and that there is barely any surface for the star
wheel to grab on.

Looking at that can (Carnation condensed milk), I doubt that any
similar can opener can actually open them reliably.

My question is, which is it:

1) I am having bad luck with the openers
2) There is a magic star wheel opener that works well
3) The cans are really made such that they need to be opened
differently.

I just bought the bayonet style Russian can opener, which I remember
always worked and never needed replacing. It does not require a lip
around the top.

This question bothers me.