Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Off topic. No metal working here. Hillary Clinton 'to announce2016 presidential campaign'

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 4:55:22 PM UTC-4, 3B8E. ˜¢ M^i^g^h^t^y ˜¢ W^a^n^n^a^b^e ˜¢. 0763 wrote:

Nothing about metalworking. What is the matter? Is everyone here so involved with politics that they have no time for metal working.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:56:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 4:55:22 PM UTC-4, 3B8E. ? M^i^g^h^t^y ? W^a^n^n^a^b^e ?. 0763 wrote:

Nothing about metalworking. What is the matter? Is everyone here so involved with politics that they have no time for metal working.

Dan

I got the repair parts yesterday for the new to me Suzuki DT4 outboard
(4hp) and will be installing them this morning, test running it, then
mounting it on the sailboat it was purchased for.

Back 40 needs some cleaning up..lots of machinery and metal bits need
to be racked..and the room mate..bless his pointed head..needs to put
my lawn mower and chainsaw back together..which means Ill be doing
that. I did sell one of my spare welders yesterday and loaded a young
guy up on metrology gear, end mills, lathe tooling and other stuff for
his hobby gunsmithing shop.

Hows that?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 1:49:41 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

I got the repair parts yesterday for the new to me Suzuki DT4 outboard
(4hp) and will be installing them this morning, test running it, then
mounting it on the sailboat it was purchased for.

Back 40 needs some cleaning up..lots of machinery and metal bits need
to be racked..and the room mate..bless his pointed head..needs to put
my lawn mower and chainsaw back together..which means Ill be doing
that. I did sell one of my spare welders yesterday and loaded a young
guy up on metrology gear, end mills, lathe tooling and other stuff for
his hobby gunsmithing shop.

Hows that?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Much better than all the rest of the posts. As far as I know Hillary does not do any recreational metalworking. Or professional metalworking for that matter.

She does however understand that using a personal email account on a server that she controls means that what she says is not verifiable.

But that is not metalworking. I have been doing very little metalworking.
I am putting in wood flooring in the second story and it has been doing very slowly. At the rate I have been going I will be eighty before it is done.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:13:29 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Why is it taking so long to lay the flooring? Lack of interest? TIme
conflicts or some other issue?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 6:38:35 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Why is it taking so long to lay the flooring? Lack of interest? TIme
conflicts or some other issue?

Gunner

Mostly I am getting old. Laying flooring would go much quicker if I did not have to do it on the floor. I am not very fast at getting up and down. It is also slowed by having furniture in the room. Right now I have move a bed so as to have room to operate the nailer. PITA.

I needed some splines to chance the direction of the floor. Just a simple thin strip of wood to go into the groove and stick out so another board can mate groove to groove. So went to Lowes and they do not stock them. Later looked on line at home depot. They do not stock them either. Stopped at a place that just sells flooring, no go. Called a couple of places , still none stocked. So gave up and sawed a piece of flooring into some splines.. No biggy, but takes time.

The reason I went to Lowes is because it was near the place that my wife had purchased a head board. So picked it up at the store instead of having it brought to the house. Turned out to be about twice as heavy as I thought it would be. No big deal moving it from the truck to the front door, or getting it positioned in the bed room. But was a big deal to get up the stairs. My neighbour went to Florida after Christmas and still is not back, so no help there. And then the head board was too tall, so had to modify it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" on Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:39:50 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
[...]

So to answer your question, no one reason. Just a lot of little things. Oh yes the flooring is 5 inches wide and the manufacturer recommends putting a little construction adhesive on the floor. And it was carpeted so have to pull the carpet and padding and remove all the staples and carpet nail strips. I have also lightly sanded the sub flooring so the construction adhesive will adhere better. Everything would go much faster if there was not a bunch of heavy furniture in the rooms. I also spend too much time deciding which board should go where so the joints are not close to each other.

Dan

Sounds like the old saying "Work expands to fill the time
available."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

PDFTFT.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

P.J. O'Rourke? A well known journalist.
One of his earliest articles was "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While
Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink".

Obviously a well qualified political pundit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually..it would qualify him for President, dontchathink?

Same resume as JFK, and Clinton at the very least...right?

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Given your latest "Dear Leader" He probably would be a vast
improvement :-)

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PJ O'Rourke

P.J. O'Rourke? A well known journalist.
One of his earliest articles was "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While
Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink".

Obviously a well qualified political pundit.

Actually..it would qualify him for President, dontchathink?

Same resume as JFK, and Clinton at the very least...right?

Given your latest "Dear Leader" He probably would be a vast
improvement :-)

O'Rourke is now about 180 degrees away from where he was when he started
writing.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Indeed he would!

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:04:38 -0500, "David R. Birch"

PJ O'Rourke

P.J. O'Rourke? A well known journalist.
One of his earliest articles was "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While
Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink".

Obviously a well qualified political pundit.

Actually..it would qualify him for President, dontchathink?

Same resume as JFK, and Clinton at the very least...right?

Given your latest "Dear Leader" He probably would be a vast
improvement :-)

O'Rourke is now about 180 degrees away from where he was when he started
writing.

David

Well, of course. As you grow older you seem to need your Wing-Wang
Squeezed less frequently :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 14 Apr 2015 16:46:00 -0700

PJ O'Rourke

P.J. O'Rourke? A well known journalist.
One of his earliest articles was "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While
Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink".

Obviously a well qualified political pundit.

Actually..it would qualify him for President, dontchathink?

Same resume as JFK, and Clinton at the very least...right?

Given your latest "Dear Leader" He probably would be a vast
improvement :-)

Indeed he would!

My cat would be an improvement.

Well, maybe not the cat, she's rather ... cantankerous at times.

But she knows what she wants, even if this isn't it.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Please Don't Feed The F'kin Troll.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 19:58:14 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Tue, 14 Apr 2015 16:46:00 -0700

PJ O'Rourke

P.J. O'Rourke? A well known journalist.
One of his earliest articles was "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While
Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink".

Obviously a well qualified political pundit.

Actually..it would qualify him for President, dontchathink?

Same resume as JFK, and Clinton at the very least...right?

Given your latest "Dear Leader" He probably would be a vast
improvement :-)

Indeed he would!

My cat would be an improvement.

I am positively certain that if we went out and randomly grabbed 535
Americans from all walks of life (except government) to put in
Congress, they could and would do a much, much better job than the
current greedy, corrupt runts (from both aisles) who are in there now.
This includes any folks from the insane asylums, street people,
druggies, etc.

Defund Politics, and watch the rats scurry away.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 9:37:03 PM UTC-7, Larry Jackass wrote:

Please Don't Feed The F'kin Troll.

I see Larry Jackass is still trying to be an adult babysitter.

Real adults don't need your "services" you worthless piece of ****.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ah!

Humm...MightyWatchacallet never has participated in any metal working
discussion best as I can recall, come to think of it. I was running a
trial version of Forte Agent 8 and didnt have the kill file set up, so
thats why I saw his posts. He was trying to be "smart" LOL..and
changing his ID with letters and charector changes on each post so he
slipped through. My old standby version of Agent has him locked up
pretty tight.

Anyways..I answered his question. right enough, did I not?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No, ****wit. It's "hmm", or maybe "hmmm"; no 'u'.

You're a ****ing idiot, in addition to being a ****wit cardiac bypass
surgery dole scrounger and chiseler.

--

Your first duty is to th' country...is to th' flag, and then...and then
th' army,

Mark Wieber
75th Rangers, 1971-1973

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You may be correct.... right up to the time that the "common man"
discovers how much the medical companies will donate to his election
fund; or the corn farmers;; or any of the other "special interest"
groups.

Defund Politics, and watch the rats scurry away.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I am positively certain that if we went out and randomly grabbed 535
Americans from all walks of life (except government) to put in
Congress, they could and would do a much, much better job than the
current greedy, corrupt runts (from both aisles) who are in there
now.
This includes any folks from the insane asylums, street people,
druggies, etc.

Too bad you can't attend one our Town Meetings where that's exactly
what happens.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In practice well-meaning people come in with elaborate solutions to
their inflated misunderstandings of problems, and don't properly
consider the unintended consequences. We see that every year with
petitioned town warrant articles.

You'd end up with a web of petty rules like a housing association's.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Calls to mind the statement from William F. Buckley Jr.: "I am obliged
to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two
thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society
governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."

--

Your first duty is to th' country...is to th' flag, and then...and then
th' army,
and then to...and then to god. Flag, Army, God - F.A.G.

Mark Wieber
75th Rangers, 1971-1973
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 08:32:56 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

You are implying that the "wed of petty rules" doesn't presently
exist?

I remember someone posting on this site a story about the safety
inspector making him repaint all the yellow lines denoting walkways
because they were "the wrong shade of yellow".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yessir, yadid.

Hey, I got in some metalworking today. Client wanted two Sauder
termitebarf bookcases assembled, but one of the doors had a faulty
knob. It turns out that a piece of casting drip had insinuated itself
into the hole for the screw. I had to grab it with needlenose pliers
to get it out a bit, then grab it with dykes to pull it out. It was
half an inch long, a flat-sided drip of metal. If the end weren't so
perfect, I'd have said someone purposely put it there. Anyway, I had
to run the screw through a die and zap a tap through the knob to clean
up the threads.

Second, I received a januwine Chiwanese hand vise in the mail today
and the plastic knob on the jaw adjuster unscrewed the first time I
tried to tighten it on a small object. I thought I could just drill
and pin it to the shaft. Lo and behold, the plastic knob turned out
to be black painted aluminum! The shaft was nickel plated brass. A
hex 5/32" bit slowly went through it, powered by my little Ryobi Tek4
drill motor. A name brand (Harbor Freight) roll pin was then pressed
into the resultant hole and the tool called GOOD.

Does that make me a machinist now? gd&r

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 08:04:14 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I am positively certain that if we went out and randomly grabbed 535
Americans from all walks of life (except government) to put in
Congress, they could and would do a much, much better job than the
current greedy, corrupt runts (from both aisles) who are in there
now.
This includes any folks from the insane asylums, street people,
druggies, etc.

Too bad you can't attend one our Town Meetings where that's exactly
what happens.

None of those walk-in bozos is randomly selected, Jim. We have them
here, too. Politics draws them out of the woodwork and out from under
rocks. That's the purpose of the -random- selection, as the odds
usually deselect those types.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. Slocomb on Wed, 15 Apr 2015 18:07:32
+0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

My cat would be an improvement.

I am positively certain that if we went out and randomly grabbed 535
Americans from all walks of life (except government) to put in
Congress, they could and would do a much, much better job than the
current greedy, corrupt runts (from both aisles) who are in there now.
This includes any folks from the insane asylums, street people,
druggies, etc.

You may be correct.... right up to the time that the "common man"
discovers how much the medical companies will donate to his election
fund; or the corn farmers;; or any of the other "special interest"
groups.

Which is the real problem: not the money which flows into campaign
coffers, but the money from the Treasury which the Congressman can
direct For the Benefit of Hardworking Americans! Harumph, harumph. Or
the legislation mandating Safety Standards to Protect the American
Consumer!

IF it were not for the opportunities for graft, no body would
really want the job.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes! Yes it does!!

(Grin)

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 21:33:20 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Human nature.
You trade with the folks that treat you right.
A bloke does you a favor, why you do him one right back, don't you?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You'd end up with a web of petty rules like a housing association's.
-jsw

You are implying that the "wed of petty rules" doesn't presently
exist?

John B.

They don't when I've argued convincingly enough to amend or defeat
them.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Those are big problems, but they are among other big problems. We
have a government which is 4x too big, doing 400x too much (both here
and abroad), and for the wrong reasons. Foreign aid and asylum are
both shams and scams. 17 different departments all do the same task,
16 being superfluous. Social Security and Welfare aren't checking for
fraud. Nobody ensures that the checks are going to valid entities, not
dead people or pets. Our borders leak terrorists and usurpers each
and every day. Some day soon, we are going to pay dearly for that,
either with the terrorists doing their thing or the Hispanics reaching
majority. The way Homeland Security is responding to this is very
telling. Instead of securing the borders, they arm up with billions
of rounds and fully auto weapons for their people, then they buy tens
of millions of body bags and plastic coffins. Methinks they want an
internal war so they can declare Martial Law and go play with their
new toys on both the American public and the tangoes, to hell with
peace and freedom. Got Preps?

IF it were not for the opportunities for graft, no body would
really want the job.

The Mr. Smiths of America will always be ready to take the jobs for
the right reasons. But once the gov't is pared down to the size it
_should_ be, it will take far, far fewer bodies to fill those jobs.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 10:00:46 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

How can a 24-hour drunk nobody from the middle of nowhere predict the future, now? I'm really curious.

either with the terrorists doing their thing or the Hispanics
reaching majority.

Constantly bashing minorities. That's all you're capable of?

IF it were not for the opportunities for graft, no body would
really want the job.

The Mr. Smiths of America will always be ready to take the jobs for
the right reasons. But once the gov't is pared down to the size it
_should_ be, it will take far, far fewer bodies to fill those jobs.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Years ago someone commented that no one, on either side, "wanted the
War on Drugs to cease". The sellers because the market price would
shrink to that of corn meal and the enforcers because their budget
would shrink to 1932 levels.

And that is pretty much true for all levels of government/industry. In
the military I was assigned to Edwards AFB for a while and the
civilian run maintenance shops there all had astonishing amounts of
"back order" work that they were "struggling" to overcome. But when
you actually spent time in the shop the guys were talking, drinking
coffee and eating donuts. Shortly after being assigned to the shop I
was called into the shop chief's office and criticized for doing a job
in 15 minutes that had been estimated as a five hour job - he said
that "You make the scheduler look bad".
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 11:28:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

But is it "bashing"?

After all in the U.S., in 1911 there were 6,977,700 adults were under
correctional supervision (probation, parole, jail, or prison).
Of this astonishing number some 34.4% were Black although they make up
only 13.6% of the U.S. population.

The numbers would seem to indicate a bit of a breakdown in morality in
certain segments of the U.S. population... wouldn't it?

MORALITY - "concern with the distinction between good and evil or
right and wrong; right or good conduct"

Is it "bashing" to state a fact now? Is one required to lie to be
"politically correct"? One must ignore reality to fit in?

IF it were not for the opportunities for graft, no body would
really want the job.

The Mr. Smiths of America will always be ready to take the jobs for
the right reasons. But once the gov't is pared down to the size it
_should_ be, it will take far, far fewer bodies to fill those jobs.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 11:28:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Larry Jackass has always blamed minorities for the reason he had to move out of Vista, California.

Larry Jackass was never a real auto mechanic. He did alinements at an auto body shop.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. Slocomb on Fri, 17 Apr 2015 07:39:55
+0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Years ago someone commented that no one, on either side, "wanted the
War on Drugs to cease". The sellers because the market price would
shrink to that of corn meal and the enforcers because their budget
would shrink to 1932 levels.

Yep.

Which is what I meant about "In order to get the money out of
politics, you need to get the Government out of - a lot of things." As
it stands now, there are numerous reasons to make a campaign
contribution to Senator Fogwell, because tweak/amend/unamend
legislation which will have an impact on his constitutes, the
Struggling Widget Makers of Left Overcoat in his district.
Gun Control Legislation is a great fund raiser - to stop Them(tm)
from doing [____]. So is the need to balance the budget, because we
all know Those People will do it the Wrong Way(tm).

End result, the Government doing badly, what it should not be
doing at all.
Dept of Education?
Department of Energy?
OSHA?
Federal Office of Contract Compliance?
DEA?
LSD?
NPR?
MIC
LEY
MOU
SE!

--
pyotr filipivich
"Given our monstrous, overgrown government structure, any three letters
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:54:41 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

One reason for inefficiency in government is that once you work a
minimum time for the g'ment you become bullet proof - they can't fire
you. Another reason is that usually no one who knows anything about
the operation of the place ever audits it to see what is really going
on.

When I was in the Air force I spent some time at Edwards AFB where
most of the maintenance people are civilians. It was unbelievable. SAC
had Estimated time in commission times in hours and minutes - Monday,
10:20, etc. Edwards had estimated time in commission times of
"sometime next month".

But anyone that has ever been around government projects has similar
stories.

--

cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich on Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:54:41
[...]

I have since learned of a couple more examples.

There has been, for some years now, a proposal to minimize tax
filing. The argument goes like this: why should my employer send a
copy of my W2 to me and the IRS, so that I can transcribe that
information onto a form (paper or electronic), so that the IRS can
transcribe my copy of the 1040 form, to compare with the electronic
copy they have of my employer's copy of the W2? Why not have the IRS
compute my taxes, and either send a bill - or refund - without me
having to fill out the paperwork? This is called "Return Free Taxes"
- and yes, it has many "issues" to be resolved. The usual proposal is
that you can either accept the IRS's computation - which for a lot of
people would be the same as if they did the paperwork; or file your
own return if you had something else happen. (Itemized deductions, for
example).
Apparently, one of the opponents to such an idea is Inuit.com as
well as the makers of Turbotax. Hmm, now why would they be opposed to
such a splendid idea?

Another area to consider is: the Sugar Tariff. The US has some of
the highest prices for sugar in the world, because of a tariff passed
originally to protect the sugar producers in this country. That
tariff is now also supported by the corn growers of America, because
FAMILY FARMS! Who grow large amounts of corn,which serves as the raw
material for making high fructose corn syrup, used to sweeten all
manner of things instead of "natural organic dehydrated cane juice",
aka sugar.

One of the reasons for the multitude of pages of fine print in the
IRS code is simply that tax breaks can be made, tweaked, changed,
amended, added, deleted, revised or removed - any one of which will
cause those affected to send lots of money to those who have the
"proper" position on said change (oppose/support, or replacing the
fool who doesn't oppose/support).
--
pyotr filipivich