Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Idea for niche product, if anyone is so inclined

Got a FitBit Charge last month, to track how much I walk in a day
(averaging around 10k steps/day, far cry from working in my garage days!)

Anyway, the band latches with two parallel metal bars that lock into
slots in the other end. It's super easy to undo this while working on
machinery, I've done it several times. First time, while down in a mucky
pit lubing bearings. Luckily it landed on the one small crusty patch in
the corner, else I'd likely never have found it. Didn't even realize it
had come off until some time later, that's how easily it comes apart.

Made a C-clip out of strapping tape, worked great but rusts from sweat.
Bent up some SS TIG rod into a sort of clip, works but not as well as
the strapping tape version.

I could whittle out some tooling at work in my spare time, if I had any.
But I don't and work responsibilities are growing almost by the day. So
just putting this out there for anyone so inclined to service a niche
need. I can't be the only one using a FitBit in a work environment. If
anyone comes up with one, just be sure and let me know so I can buy a
couple!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
[...]

My usual fix for a weak latch is Velcro.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:22:16 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[...]

Velcro letting loose might be audible in a mfg enviro.

I heard that a Scotsman invented Velcro so he could hear his wallet
scream when it was opened.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I heard that a Scotsman invented Velcro so he could hear his wallet
scream when it was opened.

Now that is very good ,I've never heard that one before.

Kev
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I heard that a Scotsman invented Velcro so he could hear his wallet
scream when it was opened.

Now that is very good ,I've never heard that one before.

Kev

My Irish friend tells me that copper wire was invented when a couple
Scots were both trying to keep hold of a penny.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I heard that a Scotsman invented Velcro so he could hear his wallet
scream when it was opened.

Now that is very good ,I've never heard that one before.

Kev

Me neither, I heard it was invented so the Kiwi's could tell when the
grip on the sheep was loosening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My usual fix for a weak latch is Velcro.

Velcro letting loose might be audible in a mfg enviro.

You fellows haven't worked in a rendering plant, have ya?
Almost up to my elbows today in sheep guts, hocks, and heads dealing
with an infeed belt issue on the hogger (which turns said items into goo
and little bits) Velcro would quickly capture bits of this stuff. Bad
enough I have to work with that crap, but I have enough problem trying
to leave the aroma at work without hauling around little tiny bits of
it. And believe me, it doesn't take much. I washed my hands twice at
work and I can still smell it as I type.
And noise? How about a 100hp motor driving that hogger as it pulverizes
cattle heads. Not to mention everything else in there that makes a
racket. Anyway...

The band is simply slipped up over the area where the locking bits are,
preventing them from being pulled out of the slots. This is not an issue
of something pulling the end of the strap. Slide which ever hand you
wear a watch on, over the edge of something like the edge of a table.
All you have to do is catch the side of the strap, and it peels out far
easier than you might think. Appreciate the suggestions, don't get me
wrong. But have a simple solution, just no time/means to make one right now.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 16:44:55 +1100, Jon Anderson
All you have to do is catch the side of the strap, and it peels out far
easier than you might think. Appreciate the suggestions, don't get me
wrong. But have a simple solution, just no time/means to make one right now.

Try wrapping a rubber band around the strap ( several times to make a
tight fit ) - it is non-slip and will lock the end of the strap in
place.

I use onerto stop my watch strap flopping around.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was taught to not wear -anything- that could snag and pull you in or
conduct electricity or be lost where it could do damage when working
on machinery or electronics.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My usual fix for a weak latch is Velcro.

Velcro letting loose might be audible in a mfg enviro.

You fellows haven't worked in a rendering plant, have ya?

Wull, I did say "might". Your work enviro isn't up to CAL-OSHA
standards, is it? Ah dinna thin so.

[...]

Jon, why aren't you wearing a watch-on-a-string necklace by now?

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ditto, in both 8th Grade Woodshop and Metalshops.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 22:05:36 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

https://www.google.com/search?q=don+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have many years ago , at Metro Meats abbatoir at Nourlunga in Sth
Australia , they had close down for three weeks over the Christmas break
to carry out all the maintenance and repairs . they processed cattle
,sheep ,pigs and poultry they had a tallow plant and a fertilizer plant .
The next time I work in a place like that will be way too soon.
Coming home on the bus I usually had the back half to myself ,I had a
very bad odour about me.
I would walk from the plant to the pub ,buy two long necks of Coopers
Ale and drink that on the bus on the way home.

I wouldnt try it today though .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

need. I can't be the only one using a FitBit in a work environment. If
anyone comes up with one, just be sure and let me know so I can buy a
couple!

Jon

https://www.google.com/search?q=don+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

How is the FitBit supposed to work though that, mon?

PJ O'Rourke

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

need. I can't be the only one using a FitBit in a work environment. If
anyone comes up with one, just be sure and let me know so I can buy a
couple!

Jon

https://www.google.com/search?q=don+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

How is the FitBit supposed to work though that, mon?

Thru that? Your arm goes thru that. You attach the fitbit to it. Pop
rivits perhaps?

PJ O'Rourke

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

need. I can't be the only one using a FitBit in a work environment. If
anyone comes up with one, just be sure and let me know so I can buy a
couple!

Jon
https://www.google.com/search?q=don+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

How is the FitBit supposed to work though that, mon?

Thru that? Your arm goes thru that. You attach the fitbit to it. Pop
rivits perhaps?

I've never even seen a FitBit and never hope to, but I thought it was
checking blood pressure and heart rate like some of its predecessors.
After googling it last night, I'm better informed. It appears that
it's just a very, very expensive pedometer. shakes head It'll work
fine popriveted to that spring band, but it'll still get goo stuck in
between so he can appreciate it later, away from work.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2015 10:35 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I was taught to not wear -anything- that could snag and pull you in or
conduct electricity or be lost where it could do damage when working
on machinery or electronics.

-jsw

I don't work with electricity, and machinery is powered down and locked
out when being worked on. Part of why I got this is, when paired with my
iPhone, it buzzes when I receive a call. I often miss calls when in the
rendering plant.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/20/2015 4:19 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wull, I did say "might". Your work enviro isn't up to CAL-OSHA
standards, is it? Ah dinna thin so.

No, it certainly isn't, but this is changing rapidly. New corporate
owners are very safety conscious. I just completed 3 days of Work Health
Safety training, and am the maintenance rep to the safety committee. All
of us are set on improving plant safety. I also had two fellows from
Master Lock come out, tour the plant, and review our lockout procedures
and equipment, and ordering a fair bit of kit to better deal with
locking out anything being serviced.

In some respects, I'd say things here are tougher. If Work Safety came
through and saw me grinding without safety glasses, it's an on the spot
$6k fine for me personally, $30k for the company. Tickets are required
for forklifts, working at heights, working in confined spaces, etc etc.
We're no longer a locally owned small town abattoir, there are many new
programs being rolled out at once. It's good to see!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/21/2015 3:28 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=don+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Nice for a watch, but useless for a FitBit...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/21/2015 1:20 PM, Bluey69 wrote:

they had close down for three weeks over the Christmas break
to carry out all the maintenance and repairs

New maintenance manager developed his own preventative program that
resulted in an average of 5 minutes/day unscheduled down time at his
last job. We've got a LONG way to go, but it's great learning the system.

Coming home on the bus I usually had the back half to myself ,I had a
very bad odour about me.

I can relate. When I go to sell my car, probably have to sell it to
someone that works in an abattoir... lol

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/21/2015 7:17 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Thru that? Your arm goes thru that. You attach the fitbit to it. Pop
rivits perhaps?

That would be a kludge, and fairly expensive. I have a fix designed, it
would be cheap, easy, and works great. Just don't have means to make
tooling. Hell, might just see about getting some whipped up in China...
(just kidding)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:03:48 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 3/21/2015 3:28 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=don+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Nice for a watch, but useless for a FitBit...

Jon

Isnt the Fitbit a watch type item? Cut off the band and pop rivet it
to the Don Juan.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/22/2015 8:42 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Isnt the Fitbit a watch type item? Cut off the band and pop rivet it
to the Don Juan.

Didn't post asking for ideas. Once again, I have a very simple idea that
works. I would like to have one nicely made. Nobody seems interested, so
maybe I'll just buy some silver sheet on ebay and figure out a way to
bend them myself. I have half a dozen other people interested, so
figured there was a minor market if anyone was interested
in a little garage mfg.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:26:09 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 3/21/2015 7:17 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Thru that? Your arm goes thru that. You attach the fitbit to it. Pop
rivits perhaps?

That would be a kludge, and fairly expensive. I have a fix designed, it
would be cheap, easy, and works great. Just don't have means to make
tooling. Hell, might just see about getting some whipped up in China...
(just kidding)

Don't kid. A new, heavy-duty band might be the niche market to make
your million on. Whoda thunk pet rocks or Tickle-Me-Elmos would go
viral like they did?

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:00:58 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 3/20/2015 4:19 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wull, I did say "might". Your work enviro isn't up to CAL-OSHA
standards, is it? Ah dinna thin so.

No, it certainly isn't, but this is changing rapidly. New corporate
owners are very safety conscious. I just completed 3 days of Work Health
Safety training, and am the maintenance rep to the safety committee. All
of us are set on improving plant safety. I also had two fellows from
Master Lock come out, tour the plant, and review our lockout procedures
and equipment, and ordering a fair bit of kit to better deal with
locking out anything being serviced.

Excellent. I'll bet there's nothing worse than being in a large
machine like that when it's accidentally turned on. That's the stuff
of nightmares.

In some respects, I'd say things here are tougher. If Work Safety came
through and saw me grinding without safety glasses, it's an on the spot
$6k fine for me personally, $30k for the company. Tickets are required

Dayum, that's pricy!

for forklifts, working at heights, working in confined spaces, etc etc.
We're no longer a locally owned small town abattoir, there are many new
programs being rolled out at once. It's good to see!

Good! Best not get caught, or you'll lose your toolroom shipment
money.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/21/2015 7:17 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Thru that? Your arm goes thru that. You attach the fitbit to it. Pop
rivits perhaps?

That would be a kludge, and fairly expensive. I have a fix designed, it
would be cheap, easy, and works great. Just don't have means to make
tooling. Hell, might just see about getting some whipped up in China...
(just kidding)

Don't kid. A new, heavy-duty band might be the niche market
to make your million on. Whoda thunk pet rocks or
Tickle-Me-Elmos would go viral like they did?

And Bush-Era interest in Furbees or Furbys and Tickle-Me-Elmos skyrocketed when the CIA or the NSA was caught sending memos out about banning them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/23/2015 1:01 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Excellent. I'll bet there's nothing worse than being in a large
machine like that when it's accidentally turned on. That's the stuff
of nightmares.

The hogger is the real scary one. It would grind up a person in seconds.
The disconnect box does not allow for lockout directly, the Master Lock
guys are looking into that to see if they can find something suitable.
If not, the box will have to be modified to allow locking out or be
replaced.

Jon