Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default Idea for niche product, if anyone is so inclined

On 3/19/2015 12:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:22:16 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

My usual fix for a weak latch is Velcro.

Velcro letting loose might be audible in a mfg enviro.

You fellows haven't worked in a rendering plant, have ya?
Almost up to my elbows today in sheep guts, hocks, and heads dealing
with an infeed belt issue on the hogger (which turns said items into goo
and little bits) Velcro would quickly capture bits of this stuff. Bad
enough I have to work with that crap, but I have enough problem trying
to leave the aroma at work without hauling around little tiny bits of
it. And believe me, it doesn't take much. I washed my hands twice at
work and I can still smell it as I type.
And noise? How about a 100hp motor driving that hogger as it pulverizes
cattle heads. Not to mention everything else in there that makes a
racket. Anyway...

The band is simply slipped up over the area where the locking bits are,
preventing them from being pulled out of the slots. This is not an issue
of something pulling the end of the strap. Slide which ever hand you
wear a watch on, over the edge of something like the edge of a table.
All you have to do is catch the side of the strap, and it peels out far
easier than you might think. Appreciate the suggestions, don't get me
wrong. But have a simple solution, just no time/means to make one right now.

Jon