Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Idea for niche product, if anyone is so inclined

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:22:16 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Got a FitBit Charge last month, to track how much I walk in a day
(averaging around 10k steps/day, far cry from working in my garage
days!)

Anyway, the band latches with two parallel metal bars that lock into
slots in the other end. It's super easy to undo this while working
on machinery, I've done it several times. First time, while down in
a mucky pit lubing bearings. Luckily it landed on the one small
crusty patch in the corner, else I'd likely never have found it.
Didn't even realize it had come off until some time later, that's
how easily it comes apart.

Made a C-clip out of strapping tape, worked great but rusts from
sweat.
Bent up some SS TIG rod into a sort of clip, works but not as well
as the strapping tape version.

I could whittle out some tooling at work in my spare time, if I had
any. But I don't and work responsibilities are growing almost by the
day. So just putting this out there for anyone so inclined to
service a niche need. I can't be the only one using a FitBit in a
work environment. If anyone comes up with one, just be sure and let
me know so I can buy a couple!

My usual fix for a weak latch is Velcro.

Velcro letting loose might be audible in a mfg enviro.

I heard that a Scotsman invented Velcro so he could hear his wallet
scream when it was opened.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.