Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Waterproof Shower Niche

I just had my shower rebuilt by a contractor. It's done in 18"
travertine tiles. The tiling was finished about a month ago but we
haven't used the shower yet (more work in other parts of the bathroom
are still underway). It has recently come to my attention that shower
niches are notorious for leaking and that they need to be properly
waterproofed. I would like to ask my contractor if he did this but I
don't know what questions to ask. I've read that the bottom of the
niche should be sloped to promoted drainage (which it is) and that
inside the niche (behind the tile I guess) there should be some sort
of sealing material like RedGard.

Is there anything else I should ask about?

Thanks,
Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Look up www.schluter.com and see one method of sealing niches in showers in
their shower installation instructions.

"headware" wrote in message
I just had my shower rebuilt by a contractor. It's done in 18"
travertine tiles. The tiling was finished about a month ago but we
haven't used the shower yet (more work in other parts of the bathroom
are still underway). It has recently come to my attention that shower
niches are notorious for leaking and that they need to be properly
waterproofed. I would like to ask my contractor if he did this but I
don't know what questions to ask. I've read that the bottom of the
niche should be sloped to promoted drainage (which it is) and that
inside the niche (behind the tile I guess) there should be some sort
of sealing material like RedGard.

Is there anything else I should ask about?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

headware wrote:

I just had my shower rebuilt by a contractor. It's done in 18"
travertine tiles. The tiling was finished about a month ago but we
haven't used the shower yet (more work in other parts of the bathroom
are still underway). It has recently come to my attention that shower
niches are notorious for leaking and that they need to be properly
waterproofed. I would like to ask my contractor if he did this but I
don't know what questions to ask. I've read that the bottom of the
niche should be sloped to promoted drainage (which it is) and that
inside the niche (behind the tile I guess) there should be some sort
of sealing material like RedGard.

Is there anything else I should ask about?

Thanks,
Dave

Seems a little late now to ask, don't you think! Hot Mopping comes to mind
or some kind of thick liner. What are you going to do about it now anyway,
the job sounds like it's finished....
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 1:19*pm, evodawg wrote:
headware wrote:
[...]

Obviously I'm discovering this later than I would like to have, but I
figure it might be less expensive to fix now than it would be to fix
later in addition to a mold remediation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 1:22*pm, headware wrote:
I just had my shower rebuilt by a contractor. It's done in 18"
travertine tiles. The tiling was finished about a month ago but we
haven't used the shower yet (more work in other parts of the bathroom
are still underway). It has recently come to my attention that shower
niches are notorious for leaking and that they need to be properly
waterproofed. I would like to ask my contractor if he did this but I
don't know what questions to ask. I've read that the bottom of the
niche should be sloped to promoted drainage (which it is) and that
inside the niche (behind the tile I guess) there should be some sort
of sealing material like RedGard.

Is there anything else I should ask about?

Ask him what he did and then post back here. BTW, even if he did the
right things he might not have done them the right way...

The best way to waterproof shower niches is to have them waterproof to
start.
https://www.noblecompanyonlinestore....=sc&brdct=true

Safest and fastest for the homeowner and contractor.