Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No evidence Clinton deserted; very solid evidence that Bush did

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 11:37:27 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

Except he didn't desert.

He did desert. He didn't show up, ever.

Another non veteran who does not know the definition of desertion.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/25/2015 11:24 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 11:37:27 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

Except he didn't desert.

He did desert. He didn't show up, ever.

Another non veteran who does not know the definition of desertion.

How is it you manage to attribute my statement to Diana Huntress, you
bonehead? Diana is, in fact, a veteran.

This isn't hard to determine, idiot, and one need not be a veteran to
understand it.

In military terminology, desertion is the abandonment of a duty or
post without permission (a pass, liberty or leave) and is done with
the intention of not returning. In contrast, Unauthorized Absence
(UA) or Absence Without Leave (US: AWOL; Commonwealth: AWL) refers
to a temporary absence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desertion

The offense of desertion, under Article 85 carries a much greater
punishment than the offense of AWOL, under Article 86. Many people
believe that if one is absent without authority for 30 days or more,
the offense changes from AWOL to desertion, but that's not quite
true.

The primary difference between the two offenses is "intent to remain
away permanently," or if the purpose of the absence is to shirk
"important duty," (such as a combat deployment).

If one intends to return to "military control" someday, one is
guilty of AWOL, not desertion, even if they were away for 50 years.
Conversely, if a person was absent for just one minute, and then
captured, he could be convicted of desertion, if the prosecution
could prove that the member intended to remain away from the
military permanently.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justi...ldesertion.htm

Bush left and never returned, and he never intended to return. He was
not AWOL - he deserted.

Why are you ****ing and moaning about a political issue, when you
routinely whine about others posting non-metalworking content? ****ing
hypocrite.

--

I ceased in the year 1764 to believe that one can convince one’s
opponents with arguments printed in books. It is not to do that,

Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
1742 - 1799
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:36:01 -0800, Rudy Canoza
wrote:

On 2/25/2015 11:24 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 11:37:27 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

Except he didn't desert.

He did desert. He didn't show up, ever.

Another non veteran who does not know the definition of desertion.

How is it you manage to attribute my statement to Diana Huntress, you
bonehead? Diana is, in fact, a veteran.

Uh, no, I'm not. Within one month of besing re-classified from 1-S to
1-A, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. No Type 1 has ever been
drafted or allowed to enlist -- we're very high-maintenance humans,
prone to eat up medical resources and to drop dead rather quickly.

Not that I was enthusiastic, but I would have served if I'd been
drafted.

But Caster isn't doing so well here. He doesn't seem to know the legal
definitions.

--
Ed Huntress

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:24:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 11:37:27 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

Except he didn't desert.

He did desert. He didn't show up, ever.

Another non veteran who does not know the definition of desertion.

You've got the wrong guy. I didn't write that.

--
Ed Huntress

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" on Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:24:44 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 11:37:27 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:
Except he didn't desert.

He did desert. He didn't show up, ever.

Another non veteran who does not know the definition of desertion.

Fnord - I've heard the stories. Of the guy arrested for
desertion, even though he never got off post. Why? Because he
stripped off his uniform, declared he was deserting, and headed for
the gate.
OTOH, there was the guy who would go AWOL, get caught a couple
months later, but because he still had his uniform and ID card, could
(and did) argue that he had intended to return.

And my Dad knew of the situation where the guy had a fatal car
accident while on a three day pass. About two and a half days drive
from base. You reckon he was going to be back in time? "Technically",
innocent until proven guilty, and all that - well, yes, he hadn't yet
"gone over the hill."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 13:12:26 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

" on Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:24:44 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 11:37:27 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:
Except he didn't desert.
He did desert. He didn't show up, ever.

Another non veteran who does not know the definition of desertion.

Fnord - I've heard the stories. Of the guy arrested for
desertion, even though he never got off post. Why? Because he
stripped off his uniform, declared he was deserting, and headed for
the gate.
OTOH, there was the guy who would go AWOL, get caught a couple
months later, but because he still had his uniform and ID card, could
(and did) argue that he had intended to return.

I seem to remember that there was some book keeping involved, at least
in the Air force. When someone left, without leave, they were
classified as AWOL for some period and after a specified number of
days/months they were automatically re-classified as "Deserted".

And my Dad knew of the situation where the guy had a fatal car
accident while on a three day pass. About two and a half days drive
from base. You reckon he was going to be back in time? "Technically",
innocent until proven guilty, and all that - well, yes, he hadn't yet
"gone over the hill."
--
pyotr filipivich

Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. Slocomb on Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:36:44
+0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:
[...]

After 30 days of being listed as Absent WithOut Leave, one is
officially eligible for Deserter status. There was a case reported in
the Stars & Stripes, under Carter's Amnesty, where the guy needed to
find out his status. Seems that his paperwork had gotten lost right
after basic, and he was put in a holding assignment till they got it
straightened out. After two years, on the anniversary of his
reporting in for basic training, he walked out, and when home. When
he later contacted the Army, they wanted to gig him for desertion, but
nobody had reported him AWOL, so ...

The Service, can be, at times, a bit "weird". Like the story I
heard of the guy who wanted out. Badly. As I heard the story, he sat
down and lit up a joint in front of the Chief in the Engine room.
Chief asked him what he was doing. "Smoking a joint, Chief" was the
reply. "Well, Pass it over," says the Chief. Now what are you going
to do? Chief says 'Don't bogart the joint' you don't bogart the
joint. So when the XO (#2 Officer on board ship) came in the space,
she said "I'm going back up an pretend I didn't see that." But our
hero really wants out of the Navy. "No sir, you caught me, smoking
Maryjuwana in the engine compartment."
So he is busted, and they search his rack. He keeps telling them
that his stash is in the air vent. They finally look there, and low,
there is a baggie full of "a vegetable material presumed to be
marijuana." Yeah, right. Court martial, and his advocate argues
that because the Air Vent was not his personal space, it could be that
someone else had placed that baggie there. (Yeah, right.). Bust in
rate, six months loss of pay, and transferred to the laundry. After a
few weeks of this, he starches the officers's underwear, and decamps.
A year and a half later, he has had enough of being a deserter, so he
turns himself in. the Navy figures, what the hell, lets him finish
out the last few months of his enlistment "we'll call it even." Fine
by him. But, in the last year and a half, he's done some growing up,
some maturing. You know, the Navy isn't such a bad gig, really. He
decides to reup. Usually a good thing, but ... there was that court
marital for that drug usage (not to mention the starch incident) - so,
no dice. That this was also in the midst of the post SE Asia War
Games RIF, probably had something to do with it as well.
GI Brats, we sometimes hear some of the wildest stories. Some of
which may even be true, B-)

tschus
pyotr
--