Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No evidence Clinton deserted; very solid evidence that Bush did

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 12:18:50 AM UTC-5, Larry Jacques wrote:

Nothing in that shows that Bush appeared for his physical or his last
duty assignment. In fact, he appeared for neither. He deserted.

I am not as sure as you are. My understanding is that he got permission to not go to reserve meetings so that he could work on someone's campaign. And he just never told them when he stopped working on the campaign. Which actually saved the government money. And it made no difference because his unit was never called up for active duty.

Pretty much the same as I did with a few changes. I joined the Navy as a reservist. I was suppose to serve 2 years on active duty, but the military had a budget problem. So they decided to let sailors out after 22 months. I was on a ship in the far east, and the ship did not get back to the states in time for me to get out at 22 months, so I served 22 months and eight days. And then went back to college. They really did not want me to go to reserve meetings at that time. Remember they were low on money. So I finished college and moved to the West Coast. A couple of years later, they had money and contacted me about going to reserve meetings. Of course the nearest reserve unit was fifty miles away. And I was working for a defence contractor and would not have been drafted. So I did not respond and then some what later I took a job at a satellite tracking station out in the boonies. Fifty miles to the nearest town, and I do not think there was a reserve unit in town. So I never got assigned to a reserve station, and eventually they sent me something that said I
had completed my required service.

If something had come up where they were calling reserves up for active duty, I would have let them know what I was doing and let them decide if they wanted me on active duty or if they wanted me to continue working on military projects.

So I did not desert, because I never had orders to report. And it saved the government money. And we did not lose WWIII because of me.

Dan